Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls: What social pressures do you face? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I sexually identify as a toilet roll. You can imagine the hate i get.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if its just me. But, the pressure to be slim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GUMI)
    wow you're so edgy I almost cut myself
    please cut yourself you douche

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    I feel pressure to look a certain way. To look perfect and to have a flawless body when I'm not I have stretch marks (damn puberty) and scars (from childhood). Or and I'm quite hairy. I swear how comes no celebs have stretch marks or anything. And to wear makeup.
    Stretch marks are sexy though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    1) You have to be pretty and slim. Most of my friends are size 6s and 8s. I'm a size 10/12 and I defo feel insecure over it. You see loads of girls on instagram with slim bodies,no stretch marks and perfect,unmarked faces. I don't have a flat stomach and my belly sticks out and has stretch marks. I have chubby cheeks and I actually cringe whenever I see a pic of myself. It's not helpful when everyone says, "Oh your older sister is so pretty!" and you're just going through da pain like

2) You need to have a boyfriend. Or you're doomed. Girls from my old school constantly put up pics of them and their boyfriends and then a few annoying ones penalise the girls who don't want bfs atm and call them prudes. Like ffs, as long as I have dogs and food I don't need a man to make me happy.

3) "Oh you did boxing? But you're a girl!"

4) "Oh you don't like rom coms? You like Fight Club and violent action films? But you're a girl!"

5) "What do you mean you're not a feminist? Girls don't have any rights nowadays ffs WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU " I don't think girls in the West need as much feminism anymore. We have the right to an education and to marry who we love and to work and to make our own choices. That should be enough. For some reason, believing that girls in the Middle East and in South Asia who get forced into marriage and taken out of school and have acid thrown on their faces for giving birth to females instead of males are the ones who need feminism the most is a controversial view.
    4) You broke the first rule!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    1) You have to be pretty and slim. Most of my friends are size 6s and 8s. I'm a size 10/12 and I defo feel insecure over it. You see loads of girls on instagram with slim bodies,no stretch marks and perfect,unmarked faces. I don't have a flat stomach and my belly sticks out and has stretch marks. I have chubby cheeks and I actually cringe whenever I see a pic of myself. It's not helpful when everyone says, "Oh your older sister is so pretty!" and you're just going through da pain like

2) You need to have a boyfriend. Or you're doomed. Girls from my old school constantly put up pics of them and their boyfriends and then a few annoying ones penalise the girls who don't want bfs atm and call them prudes. Like ffs, as long as I have dogs and food I don't need a man to make me happy.

3) "Oh you did boxing? But you're a girl!"

4) "Oh you don't like rom coms? You like Fight Club and violent action films? But you're a girl!"

5) "What do you mean you're not a feminist? Girls don't have any rights nowadays ffs WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU " I don't think girls in the West need as much feminism anymore. We have the right to an education and to marry who we love and to work and to make our own choices. That should be enough. For some reason, believing that girls in the Middle East and in South Asia who get forced into marriage and taken out of school and have acid thrown on their faces for giving birth to females instead of males are the ones who need feminism the most is a controversial view.
    DW, everyone has insecurities. And instagram? psh, girls edit their pictures before putting them up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    DW, everyone has insecurities. And instagram? psh, girls edit their pictures before putting them up.
    It is very amazing what makeup and a filter can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amellia123)
    If I'm totally honest, make up done well on a girl (or guy) that's natural looks great. I bet you're one of those really lucky people who doesn't even need make up anyways
    Haha yes tell them to mind their own
    I think of no make up as a 'look' in itself.

But then people imply that your not 'making and effort' or 'not trying' and I'm like um, for whom????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    I think of no make up as a 'look' in itself.

But then people imply that your not 'making and effort' or 'not trying' and I'm like um, for whom????
    I agree, and you should only do what feels comfortable for you As long as someone takes care of their hair, nails and wears clean clothes, I'd class that as making an effort

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evalilyXOX)
    Pressure to be with someone. Like I am fabulous by myself, I don't need society telling me that I need a boyfriend in order to be happy
    Fabulous!!!

ReputationRep:
    I agree, and you should only do what feels comfortable for you As long as someone takes care of their hair, nails and wears clean clothes, I'd class that as making an effort
    Yeah actually I'm probably a grooming snob. Clean fingernails are non negotiable.

ReputationRep:
    I think girls biggest social pressures would be related to upholding themselves in a certain manner... in many ways.

ReputationRep:
    I have a few. As a female who is into video games, I'm constantly torn between trying to enjoy more masculine games (read; shooters) so I can be viewed by my peers as a 'gamer' rather than a 'girl gamer', or to just enjoy the games I like because I like them. And as a gay female, I'm torn between presenting myself as what looks like a traditional lesbian, or just looking however I want to look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyzac)
    I have a few. As a female who is into video games, I'm constantly torn between trying to enjoy more masculine games (read; shooters) so I can be viewed by my peers as a 'gamer' rather than a 'girl gamer', or to just enjoy the games I like because I like them. And as a gay female, I'm torn between presenting myself as what looks like a traditional lesbian, or just looking however I want to look.
    "I'm torn between presenting myself as what looks like a traditional lesbian, or just looking however I want to look."

Please just look however you want to look! Your comment saddened me. Geez girls don't get a break do they?

ReputationRep:
    "I'm torn between presenting myself as what looks like a traditional lesbian, or just looking however I want to look."

Please just look however you want to look! Your comment saddened me. Geez girls don't get a break do they?
    Maybe I didn't phrase that quite right >.< It's not so much that I feel like I'm supposed to 'look the part', more like I don't want people to assume something incorrect because of my looks...?

...hm, thinking about it, that's probably the same thing, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Getting ready for marriage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyzac)
    Maybe I didn't phrase that quite right >.< It's not so much that I feel like I'm supposed to 'look the part', more like I don't want people to assume something incorrect because of my looks...?

...hm, thinking about it, that's probably the same thing, lol.
    Yeah that is more complicated.

Learning how to deal with people's assumptions is a whole different thing to choosing a personal style.

Sometimes you can't get around people assuming things about you, and its futile trying to communicate yourself through your outward appearance in such situations. Unfortunately you may have to sometimes go out of your way to prove that you're a decent gamer or whatever. Ultimately it will be more impressive when you prove someone wrong!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah actually I'm probably a grooming snob. Clean fingernails are non negotiable.
    Ikr, dirty nails are just... ewww

ReputationRep:
    Ikr, dirty nails are just... ewww
    Shallow as this is...it's a deal breaker when it comes to attraction.

Bet men don't feel any particular pressure to have clean fingernails though.

I feel there is now a pressure to be extreme...like a Kardashian....beauty wise...

ReputationRep:
    Shallow as this is...it's a deal breaker when it comes to attraction.

Bet men don't feel any particular pressure to have clean fingernails though.

I feel there is now a pressure to be extreme...like a Kardashian....beauty wise...

I suppose its because clean fingernails show good hygiene (you wouldn't want to go out with a 'dirty' person would you?!)

I really cannot stand the Kardashians.... they are literally paid to live :rofl:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.