Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've always been quite hardworking, especially when it comes to exams and preparation, but I have to work to get good results at school. I like talking to friends and family about how my day has been and finding about theirs as well, helping them when needed or the other way around but recently, I don't feel supported at all. I feel like what goes on in my life really doesn't matter to them although I still try to communicate when them. As I'm about to start exams soon, I've been having lots of tests and when they go well or badly, I find it comforting to be able to talk to someone about it, but talking to my family just makes it worse. Additionally, I've had problems at home in the past. How should I talk to other people, or should I at all, to have the confidence to progress and deal with things?

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniMusic)
    I've always been quite hardworking, especially when it comes to exams and preparation, but I have to work to get good results at school. I like talking to friends and family about how my day has been and finding about theirs as well, helping them when needed or the other way around but recently, I don't feel supported at all. I feel like what goes on in my life really doesn't matter to them although I still try to communicate when them. As I'm about to start exams soon, I've been having lots of tests and when they go well or badly, I find it comforting to be able to talk to someone about it, but talking to my family just makes it worse. Additionally, I've had problems at home in the past. How should I talk to other people, or should I at all, to have the confidence to progress and deal with things?

Thanks x
    What sorts of reactions do you usually get when you try to get support from your family and friends? And what is it you want from them exactly? I'm trying to establish whether this is a problem of your family and friends being not supportive or whether your expectations may be too high.

If you'e having no luck with your current friends then you may want to think abut trying to make more friends, ones who full fill your want for support. If not you could always look for support on here?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.