Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have applied for and recieved offers from;

Sussex
    Brighton
    Portsmouth
    KCL
    Medway school of pharmacy

And have narrowed it down to 3 as I want to commute from home, but I can't decide on where to go? any
    current students at these unis care to shed any light ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luminarychild)
    So I have applied for and recieved offers from;

Sussex
    Brighton
    Portsmouth
    KCL
    Medway school of pharmacy

And have narrowed it down to 3 as I want to commute from home, but I can't decide on where to go? any
    current students at these unis care to shed any light ?
    Brighton's a pretty cool place, the MPharm course at Brighton is very well-established compared to Sussex's, for which you'll be the first cohort. The Moulsecoomb campus is where all MPharm stuff is based, so it's in a pretty good location (25-30 min walk into town, 10-15 mins by bus). The campus is also literally next to Moulsecoomb station, so is great for commuting. Great lecturers too who are more than willing to help you in any way.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am in Portsmouth. Current third year whoop whoop. What I would say is over the past few years, Portsmouth have toughened their MPharm degree. So I will not be surprised if we move up the ranking soon. Anyway, Portsmouth is a vibrant city. It has quite a few beaches and theres a lot to do. After a while though, it does get boring. I guess its the same for any city. First year, I was all over the place, now all I want to do is study, eat and sleep.

The commute to London is quite cheap....about £7 for the coach if booked well in advance. The MPharm course is well established. I mean, there are lecturers here who have taught lecturers who have taught lecturers. And they are all teaching us
    I think you should narrow your choice down to Brighton and Portsmouth, as Sussex is a new pharmacy school and the first set will be the guinea pigs

Anyway, feel free to message me with any questions you may have.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Sussex offer Pharmacy? :zomg: that's news to me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    Sussex offer Pharmacy? :zomg: that's news to me!
    Yup, first intake in September 2016 :/

How's it going anyway? Haven't spoken in a while!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    Yup, first intake in September 2016 :/

How's it going anyway? Haven't spoken in a while!
    No caps being put in place is pissing me off loads... arghh, talk about diluting the applicants and increasing competition for those lot once they compete for pre-reg places and even compete against us for jobs

Yeah, it's going great man, just been so busy with group work and stuff. Enjoying the therapeutics side of things which is rather satisfying hows things going for you man?

(Original post by neldee95)
    Hey, I am in Portsmouth. Current third year whoop whoop. What I would say is over the past few years, Portsmouth have toughened their MPharm degree. So I will not be surprised if we move up the ranking soon. Anyway, Portsmouth is a vibrant city. It has quite a few beaches and theres a lot to do. After a while though, it does get boring. I guess its the same for any city. First year, I was all over the place, now all I want to do is study, eat and sleep.

The commute to London is quite cheap....about £7 for the coach if booked well in advance. The MPharm course is well established. I mean, there are lecturers here who have taught lecturers who have taught lecturers. And they are all teaching us
    I think you should narrow your choice down to Brighton and Portsmouth, as Sussex is a new pharmacy school and the first set will be the guinea pigs

Anyway, feel free to message me with any questions you may have.
    Hows things going for you also? I remember you on the applicants thread a while ago!

ReputationRep:
    No caps being put in place is pissing me off loads... arghh, talk about diluting the applicants and increasing competition for those lot once they compete for pre-reg places and even compete against us for jobs

Yeah, it's going great man, just been so busy with group work and stuff. Enjoying the therapeutics side of things which is rather satisfying hows things going for you man?

Hows things going for you also? I remember you on the applicants thread a while ago!
    Yeah, pisses me off to no end (heard about the 6% community pharmacy funding cut?!). That really makes me glad that I don't want to go into community, but into hospital. Let's just hope that the NHS still exists after the next 10 years or so :/

Therapeutics is awesome :love: I'm thinking about doing a pharmacology research project in 4th year - been told that a pharmacy practice project will just be a damn audit / meta-analysis.

Yeah, it's going well but they're really trying to break us this year with the amount of coursework that they've been throwing at us. Had a group project too - had to formulate some aspirin (75mg dispersible tablets) from scratch (including making the tablets and all associated quality control / assurance analysis), and design packaging / the patient information leaflet too. That was pretty cool, but stressful as hell, as we only had 12 hours of lab classes to make the tablets (had to do all packaging etc in our own time)! We've got to submit a group lab report on it too, due for end of term. Got another piece of coursework due on the same day too :zomg:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yeah, pisses me off to no end (heard about the 6% community pharmacy funding cut?!). That really makes me glad that I don't want to go into community, but into hospital. Let's just hope that the NHS still exists after the next 10 years or so :/

Therapeutics is awesome :love: I'm thinking about doing a pharmacology research project in 4th year - been told that a pharmacy practice project will just be a damn audit / meta-analysis.

Yeah, it's going well but they're really trying to break us this year with the amount of coursework that they've been throwing at us. Had a group project too - had to formulate some aspirin (75mg dispersible tablets) from scratch (including making the tablets and all associated quality control / assurance analysis), and design packaging / the patient information leaflet too. That was pretty cool, but stressful as hell, as we only had 12 hours of lab classes to make the tablets (had to do all packaging etc in our own time)! We've got to submit a group lab report on it too, due for end of term. Got another piece of coursework due on the same day too :zomg:
    Exactly that!

Yeah same, thinking pharmacology too (my personal tutor is an expert in CV Pharmacology) so who knows, I may end up doing some research with him!

We did that last year, formulation is interesting, but I'd say pharmacology is my favourite! Same, we're getting shattered with coursework and it leaves me with so little time to actually understand the lectures!

ReputationRep:
    Exactly that!

Yeah same, thinking pharmacology too (my personal tutor is an expert in CV Pharmacology) so who knows, I may end up doing some research with him!

We did that last year, formulation is interesting, but I'd say pharmacology is my favourite! Same, we're getting shattered with coursework and it leaves me with so little time to actually understand the lectures!

yee guys applying for hospital or community? applications starting soon:O

ReputationRep:
    Exactly that!

Ah, I would love a CV pharmacology project

One of our pharmacology lecturers does research in the area of the CV effects of anti-HIV drugs (HAART), so I might ask to work with him

Also got another pharmacology lecturer who's working on developing oestrogen-derivatives that have anti-hypertensive activity, so that would be awesome too. Either way, I'd love to do a CV pharmacology project

Yeah, formulation was cool, but way too stressful and not for me - pharmacology/therapeutics is where it's at :yep:

(Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    yee guys applying for hospital or community? applications starting soon:O
    Hospital - we've got a talk on PharmaLife coming up before term ends. I missed the bloody Boots pre-reg 2017-2018 deadline, so I won't be going to work at Boots (would ideally like to have a community back up!). Got a hospital summer placement (4 weeks) at a hospital not too far away from uni, so I'll be down in Brighton for that month.

How's it going for you?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I would love a CV pharmacology project

One of our pharmacology lecturers does research in the area of the CV effects of anti-HIV drugs (HAART), so I might ask to work with him

Also got another pharmacology lecturer who's working on developing oestrogen-derivatives that have anti-hypertensive activity, so that would be awesome too. Either way, I'd love to do a CV pharmacology project

Yeah, formulation was cool, but way too stressful and not for me - pharmacology/therapeutics is where it's at :yep:

Hospital - we've got a talk on PharmaLife coming up before term ends. I missed the bloody Boots pre-reg 2017-2018 deadline, so I won't be going to work at Boots (would ideally like to have a community back up!). Got a hospital summer placement (4 weeks) at a hospital not too far away from uni, so I'll be down in Brighton for that month.

How's it going for you?
    Tbh you wont get a community backup as theyll want yeh to get back to them before yeh get your hospital offer. you could accept and later reject perhaps.

brilliant. fair play.

ReputationRep:

Heyyyy!! I remember you too (: Back in A Level days!! I am in my third year now. This course is KILLING me. How is it going for you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.