The Student Room Group

Student Finance for Non-Eu student

Hello Everyone

I wanted to know if it would be possible for a non - EU student from Serbia who wanted to study English Literature could come and study in the UK and apply for student loans.
Reply 1
Original post by Abdul96
Hello Everyone

I wanted to know if it would be possible for a non - EU student from Serbia who wanted to study English Literature could come and study in the UK and apply for student loans.

The short answer is no.
Reply 2
whats the long answer?
Reply 3
Original post by Abdul96
whats the long answer?

You could move to the UK to work. Once you'd been here for three full years, you would be eligible for the full Student Finance package.

Good luck getting a UK work visa these days though. That means getting a decently-paid job offer from a company who will sponsor you, before you apply for the visa. The government are also considering a minimum wage of £35,000 in order for you to get/keep the visa (although as that will empty most of our hospitals and care homes of staff, I doubt it will actually happen).
Original post by Klix88
You could move to the UK to work. Once you'd been here for three full years, you would be eligible for the full Student Finance package.

Good luck getting a UK work visa these days though. That means getting a decently-paid job offer from a company who will sponsor you, before you apply for the visa. The government are also considering a minimum wage of £35,000 in order for you to get/keep the visa (although as that will empty most of our hospitals and care homes of staff, I doubt it will actually happen).

I am currently applying for student finance for the year 2016/2017.

As I am an EU student and I haven't lived here in the UK for three years yet I know that I cannot receive a maintenance loan or grant.
However, I recently read that I may have a chance in getting the loan if Im a child of a migrant worker.I came here in 2014 with my mum, and she came here to work and she currently has a job, does that mean that I can be entitled to it?
She is a EU national aswell and she has been living in Italy for more than three years before we moved here in the UK.Please, if somebody can make this clear for me so I can understand if I can receive the loan or not.
Thank you
Reply 5
Original post by trulyjessica
I am currently applying for student finance for the year 2016/2017.

As I am an EU student and I haven't lived here in the UK for three years yet I know that I cannot receive a maintenance loan or grant.
However, I recently read that I may have a chance in getting the loan if Im a child of a migrant worker.I came here in 2014 with my mum, and she came here to work and she currently has a job, does that mean that I can be entitled to it?
She is a EU national aswell and she has been living in Italy for more than three years before we moved here in the UK.Please, if somebody can make this clear for me so I can understand if I can receive the loan or not.
Thank you

Well as you stated that you are a an EU student you will be entitled to the full student loans package whether you or your mum have lived here for three years or not. Here are links for more information:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/students/moneyMatters/financialSupport/ScholarshipsLSE/UGApp/UgAppHome/loansAndGrants.aspx

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/finance-and-support/tuition-fees-and-student-loans
Reply 6
Original post by Abdul96
Well as you stated that you are a an EU student you will be entitled to the full student loans package whether you or your mum have lived here for three years or not. Here are links for more information:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/students/moneyMatters/financialSupport/ScholarshipsLSE/UGApp/UgAppHome/loansAndGrants.aspx

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/finance-and-support/tuition-fees-and-student-loans

No, non-resident EU students who aren't migrant workers or the children of migrant workers, can still only get a Tuition Fee Loan, as stated by the links you provide.
Original post by Klix88
No, non-resident EU students who aren't migrant workers or the children of migrant workers, can still only get a Tuition Fee Loan, as stated by the links you provide.

I am still confused :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending