Turn on thread page Beta

unsure about art gcse's... watch

ReputationRep:
    I am choosing my options next week. I am definetly taking french & history, and i was prepared to do art too and some classmate say that i'm good however i can't really tell and my art teacher is new, so she doesn't know me well and I didn't really do well in yr 7 and 8 and I felt like what we did wasn't that art-y and some of the things said about art are kinda scary... i know that it is difficult and time-consuming but I am not sure if i am up for the challenge... what do you guys think and what other subjects did you guys really enjoy and found fun?? I'd like to do something more practical thanks and sorry for the long post

ReputationRep:
    If you genuinely enjoy, take it you will improve in time. I am doing art gcse and I used to be horrible at painting, but I have improved. In art gcse, you are more control of what thems and ideas you want to explore than in lower years. I mean in y7 we had the topic of fruit and veg- not the most exciting thing ever.
    Also if you like practical stuff, maybe try graphics , product design or food tech (the art of food)!
    I can tell you more about graphics if you like?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely do it. If you're told you're good at it that's no mean feat. Art in year 7-9 is not art! As you start your GCSE component, you get more freedom to explore movements of Art you are interested in and it is a very independent lesson, you are expected to get on and do it, but it doesn't feel like work! Yes - it is hard, and yes it is time consuming but it is also very rewarding and if you learn to manipulate the mark scheme you can *essentially* get full marks. My GCSE in art is next month and then I will be done - Yay I'm hoping to get an A* (And my teacher hints at it) and I wouldn't say Art completely dominated my life. It has been a fun and rewarding course I definitely recommend as with skill and dedication you have the potential to get an A or A* (On the new system 7 or whatever it is)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FabulouslyAwks)
    If you genuinely enjoy, take it you will improve in time. I am doing art gcse and I used to be horrible at painting, but I have improved. In art gcse, you are more control of what thems and ideas you want to explore than in lower years. I mean in y7 we had the topic of fruit and veg- not the most exciting thing ever.
    Also if you like practical stuff, maybe try graphics , product design or food tech (the art of food)!
    I can tell you more about graphics if you like?
    Thanks for the advice! I know that we learn way more skills in GCSE Art, so that was one of my reasons. I would love to learn more about graphics, however my school doesn't offer it But I guess that we still do similar things in art.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Questions27168)
    Definitely do it. If you're told you're good at it that's no mean feat. Art in year 7-9 is not art! As you start your GCSE component, you get more freedom to explore movements of Art you are interested in and it is a very independent lesson, you are expected to get on and do it, but it doesn't feel like work! Yes - it is hard, and yes it is time consuming but it is also very rewarding and if you learn to manipulate the mark scheme you can *essentially* get full marks. My GCSE in art is next month and then I will be done - Yay I'm hoping to get an A* (And my teacher hints at it) and I wouldn't say Art completely dominated my life. It has been a fun and rewarding course I definitely recommend as with skill and dedication you have the potential to get an A or A* (On the new system 7 or whatever it is)
    Thanks for the advice!! Glad to see that you're enjoying it and doing well. I like art because I am more of an independent worker, and I usually dislike working as a group, so that's a plus Also good luck on your GCSE's next month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by traumatizing)
    Thanks for the advice!! Glad to see that you're enjoying it and doing well. I like art because I am more of an independent worker, and I usually dislike working as a group, so that's a plus Also good luck on your GCSE's next month
    Thankyou and I really hope you choose art

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by traumatizing)
    Thanks for the advice! I know that we learn way more skills in GCSE Art, so that was one of my reasons. I would love to learn more about graphics, however my school doesn't offer it But I guess that we still do similar things in art.
    No problem in art you can also use so many different medias, so if you don't like one media there are also plenty of other cool ones ( I find Lino cutting/printing fun and it has a cool effect).
    Also graphics is similar to art when you design ideas for products/art pieces, but there is a lot of technical drawing in graphics (ugh). But I definitely recommend art if you enjoy it

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.