Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For my english literature controlled assessment I have to remember 2600 words in two days. Is this possible and any tips for doing it? Currently, I'm just writing it out over and over, reading it repeatedly and recording myself saying it and listening to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tess6574)
    For my english literature controlled assessment I have to remember 2600 words in two days. Is this possible and any tips for doing it? Currently, I'm just writing it out over and over, reading it repeatedly and recording myself saying it and listening to that.
    Do they necessarily have to be remembered word for word?
    If not, you should defintely condense it down and write it down in your own words so rather than repeating it your interpretate it

ReputationRep:
    I mean, generally the idea isn't to memorise it word for word... Have a plan, remember all the topics you want to cover, practice writing it a couple times and then you should be set.

It's a test of your English skills, not your memory.

ReputationRep:
    Remeber:

And never say never.

ReputationRep:
    You surely don't mean /2600 individual words/ right...

Condense it and try to remember a paraphrased version.

ReputationRep:
    Hyphenate all of the words.
    Now it's just one word.
    Memorise that.

Easy.

ReputationRep:
    These might be slightly weird tips but I have found that they work for me...

1. Write/Type out your essay and then colour in each full stop with a felt pen. I always used a red one as that was my favourite colour and all I did was make the full stop bigger with my red felt tip. For me this always helped to break up the essay into smaller sections and seemed to help.
    2. Take each sentence of the essay and type them on individual lines, for example if your essay had 56 sentences then you would have 56 lines of sentences (that is on the basis that each sentence can fit in 1 line haha). Again, this helped to break up the essay so it did not just look like 1 block of words. Learning sentence by sentence seemed to really help me, especially if the sentences were spaced out.
    3. If you take tip No 2, I would sometimes even then cut up each sentence after I had learned them, and then see if I could place them back into order. It was almost like completing a jigsaw and added a fun element to studying.

Hope this tips help but obviously these might not work for everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tess6574)
    sounds like someone forgot to remember this earlier, in anycase here's how i solidly remembered stuff

Step 1: Remember the first few lines
    To do step 1 sucessfully break the lines into smaller bits and recite it. Once you've done that try and remember the next small bit and after you've done that go back to the beginning and try to remember the first and second bit again
    Step 2: repeat step 1 until you've completed the essay

ReputationRep:
    Managed to memorise it all in two days! Thanks for all the help!

ReputationRep:
    Why would you need to memorise something for a controlled assessment?

ReputationRep:
    Read it aloud while walking around, it gets your brain into gear and makes it easier to recall when actually writing it.
    Also write it out a few times then try to write as much as you can from memory.
    I do this all the time for German, I usually only have to remember about 500 words tho.

Another thing to do is try to get the keywords out of a sentence, then once you know all the keywords, you can recall the rest of the sentence, or even improvise on the spot. I usually do this as I am quite lazy and keep my revision until the last few days before an exam, but this works very effectively for me.

Hope I helped

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.