Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

if you are intelligent but workshy, and aren't fussed about friends or a wife or appr Watch

ReputationRep:
    oval, what is the best approach to life? If you also don't care about big houses, travel or big cars, but would like enough money not to worry about food or clothing or buying the odd piece of technology every few months and the odd book or whatever every week.

I use the word workshy as opposed to lazy as I'm talking about someone who still has drive when it comes to their cheap hobbies, but doesn't like working.

If the hobbies are very cheap, say reading and a musical instrument self-taught and maybe running or whatever.

Is the best thing to get signed off unfit for work? Work min wage as little as possible? Get a degree and high paid job then retire young? Is the last option all it's cracked up to be for such a person or is it hard work?

ReputationRep:
    Find a job paying 60k a year.

Work on a pro-rata basis for half of the year, take home 30k a year. Travel/Study/Mong out for the rest of the year.

Obviously you need to find an industry that's pretty flexible but there's a few about.

ReputationRep:
    Throw yourself down the stairs and break you back? Sure, it'll hurt a little and you might lose control over your body but I guess it will help you get what you want right?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Im being sarcastic... but if you really want to, go ahead :borat:

ReputationRep:
    Do what you enjoy doing study a subject you really like, research jobs you may enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ||TheUnknown||)
    Throw yourself down the stairs and break you back? Sure, it'll hurt a little and you might lose control over your body but I guess it will help you get what you want right?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Im being sarcastic... but if you really want to, go ahead :borat:
    @ the spoiler

wow I'd never have guessed

Spoiler:
    Show
    I was being sarcastic. I did guess you were being sarcastic

ReputationRep:
    Find a hobby that also happens to be someone's job, then do that.

Just earning as little as possible won't give you any flexibility if you ever change your mind about your priorities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samharrison)
    oval, what is the best approach to life? If you also don't care about big houses, travel or big cars, but would like enough money not to worry about food or clothing or buying the odd piece of technology every few months and the odd book or whatever every week.

I use the word workshy as opposed to lazy as I'm talking about someone who still has drive when it comes to their cheap hobbies, but doesn't like working.

If the hobbies are very cheap, say reading and a musical instrument self-taught and maybe running or whatever.

Is the best thing to get signed off unfit for work? Work min wage as little as possible? Get a degree and high paid job then retire young? Is the last option all it's cracked up to be for such a person or is it hard work?
    Idle or indolent would probably be a better word. Workshy is just sugar coating an entitled view that you don't need to sing for your supper.

Getting signed off as unfit for work is fine if you have no dignity, no concerns about social stigma and no issue with taking a risk with the law.

Part-time minimum wage won't let you live comfortably.

Getting a high-paid job and retiring young is an issue for 2 reasons:
    1. Earning that much entails being very good at what you do and working very long hours. If money is your sole motivation I don't see that happening.
    2. When you get rich and you mingle with a certain crowd you get drawn into the life of expensive properties and purchases, and you either don't save enough or don't want to quit since the money is so good.

Your best options seem to be:

1. Sucking it up and slogging through a 9-5 job.
    2. Find a job that relates loosely to your hobby and allows you to enjoy your work.

Also, I'd point out that you may not care about nice houses and holidays now, but that can certainly change. You say you don't want friends or a wife now but that might change, I wouldn't rule anything out yet.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samharrison)
    @ the spoiler

wow I'd never have guessed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I was being sarcastic. I did guess you were being sarcastic
    I'm glad we have a mutual understanding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Idle or indolent would probably be a better word. Workshy is just sugar coating an entitled view that you don't need to sing for your supper.

Getting signed off as unfit for work is fine if you have no dignity, no concerns about social stigma and no issue with taking a risk with the law.

Part-time minimum wage won't let you live comfortably.

Getting a high-paid job and retiring young is an issue for 2 reasons:
    1. Earning that much entails being very good at what you do and working very long hours. If money is your sole motivation I don't see that happening.
    2. When you get rich and you mingle with a certain crowd you get drawn into the life of expensive properties and purchases, and you either don't save enough or don't want to quit since the money is so good.

Your best options seem to be:

1. Sucking it up and slogging through a 9-5 job.
    2. Find a job that relates loosely to your hobby and allows you to enjoy your work.

Also, I'd point out that you may not care about nice houses and holidays now, but that can certainly change. You say you don't want friends or a wife now but that might change, I wouldn't rule anything out yet.

Good luck
    I see ur point.

This thread isn't an accurate depiction of me. I don't have a hope in hell of going back to uni to finish my degree or getting a decent job, as although I was dux of my high school etc I have schizophrenia and autism and can't leave home.

I have a community job now for 25 hours a week min wage, which is actually suiting me quite well, but after that I'm ****ed as it's sort of a protected job and I'm quite a messed up person.

I made this thread partly to comfort myself, like "well i don't need that much money anyway"

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.