Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dry socket after wisdom tooth removal Watch

ReputationRep:
    I had a wisdom tooth removed Monday, since then my pain has become intolerable and I've been told I have dry socket.
    I was just wanting to hear from others who have had it. How long before it started to improve and heal over? My dentist cleaned the socket and put some gauze in. Most of that has fallen out though, so I'm concerned it won't heal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keturah)
    I had a wisdom tooth removed Monday, since then my pain has become intolerable and I've been told I have dry socket.
    I was just wanting to hear from others who have had it. How long before it started to improve and heal over? My dentist cleaned the socket and put some gauze in. Most of that has fallen out though, so I'm concerned it won't heal.
    I got dry sockets from wisdom teeth removal as well. It was agonizing. My dentist gave me norco to take which helped more than the paracetamol/ibuprofen mix I had been taking. He also gave me this brown gooey stuff and a little syringe - I had to squirt it into the sockets a few times a day. That also helped a bit. For me, I started feeling back to normal from about ten days it still hurt but at least I was able to sleep after that long.

Good luck man; you have my sympathy it is incredibly painful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I got dry sockets from wisdom teeth removal as well. It was agonizing. My dentist gave me norco to take which helped more than the paracetamol/ibuprofen mix I had been taking. He also gave me this brown gooey stuff and a little syringe - I had to squirt it into the sockets a few times a day. That also helped a bit. For me, I started feeling back to normal from about ten days it still hurt but at least I was able to sleep after that long.

Good luck man; you have my sympathy it is incredibly painful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for the reply
    It's so painful isn't it? My jaw is killing me. See my dentist hasn't given me anything else to do for it, and the pain just keeps increasing. What kind of foods did you eat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keturah)
    Thank you for the reply
    It's so painful isn't it? My jaw is killing me. See my dentist hasn't given me anything else to do for it, and the pain just keeps increasing. What kind of foods did you eat?
    I mostly didn't eat because it hurt so much but did occasionally have liquid stuff. Milkshake, yogurt, apple sauce, tepid soup - that kind of thing. I made a mistake eating well-cooked broccoli: all the little green bits got in the wounds and I spent a long agonizing time trying to get them out.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was counting down the minutes until I could have another ibuprofen or paracetamol and I got practically no sleep when I first developed the dry socket as I was in too much pain. I'm surprised that your dentist didn't give you anything for the pain, could you go back and ask? Or maybe your GP may be willing to help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I mostly didn't eat because it hurt so much but did occasionally have liquid stuff. Milkshake, yogurt, apple sauce, tepid soup - that kind of thing. I made a mistake eating well-cooked broccoli: all the little green bits got in the wounds and I spent a long agonizing time trying to get them out.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was counting down the minutes until I could have another ibuprofen or paracetamol and I got practically no sleep when I first developed the dry socket as I was in too much pain. I'm surprised that your dentist didn't give you anything for the pain, could you go back and ask? Or maybe your GP may be willing to help?
    Ah I bet that was awful. I've probably been eating foods I shouldn't, just got sick of soft food.
    I have paracetamol but it wasn't helping, so I stopped taking it. Think I need something stronger haha.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.