Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What are the most respected a levels and least respected a levels? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I would like to go to a top russell group and was wondering what the top respected a levels were?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TyanaChu)
    I would like to go to a top russell group and was wondering what the top respected a levels were?
    Most - any facilitating subject and a few others
    Least - the likes of sociology, PE, drama...

But it's all relative. For a sports science degree, PE would be good to have. Even at a russell group.

ReputationRep:
    Critical thinking and general studies are the best

ReputationRep:
    The truly respected are maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, biology, history, english literature, all modern languages, latin, art history and economics. After that you are on dodgier ground.

ReputationRep:
    How would ya'll rate Psychology and English Language in regards to most and least respected A levels ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archangeldemon)
    How would ya'll rate Psychology and English Language in regards to most and least respected A levels ?
    Not much.

Think about it, Psychology is so respected that it isn't a required A level for doing a Psychology degree. Whereas Spanish is expected for a Spanish degree and Chemistry is expected for a Chemistry degree.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.clare.cam.ac.uk/subjectchoice-alevelchoice/

"The subjects which are most often required are sometimes called "facilitating subjects" and these are:
    • Mathematics and Further Mathematics
    • English Literature
    • Physics
    • Biology
    • Chemistry
    • Geography
    • History
    • Languages (Classical and Modern)
    There are also subjects which are not on this list, such as Economics, Geology and Religious Studies, which provide a good preparation for university study but which are rarely a requirement for university entry."

ReputationRep:
    I think people need to remember to maintain a balance between respected subjects and subjects they'll actually enjoy doing. Personally, I find it difficult to revise for subjects I dislike and lose all motivation. If you were to do three facilitating A-Levels such as Maths, Biology and History and get only ABB, but by comparison, do Maths (one facilitating) Government and Politics (relatively soft) and Sociology (soft) and get AAA you'd be in a much better position.

As long as you have at least one facilitating, and don't take silly subjects such as Business, Film Studies, and ICT you should be fine.

This is a good resoruce - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Respected_A_Levels

ReputationRep:
    I hate threads like these. I feel it just belittles everyone who didn't do facilitating subjects. Do what you enjoy and what you think would work for your course at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Is philosophy useful for anything?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TyanaChu)
    http://russellgroup.ac.uk/media/5320...medchoices.pdf

Read what they say directly rather than the hearsay TSR attracts.

Look particularly at any subjects you're considering studying at degree. Useful or respected for one subject could be no help at all with another subject.

ReputationRep:
    Most respected: English literature. You could argue that it's a load of tediously boring stories written in dialects of English that are no longer used; bedtime reading; a hobby; and the A Level that is least relevant to life in the real world or the job market unless you want to work in a theatre, but despite these setbacks it's a Russell Group subject and for some unexplainable reason a very popular A Level. Why? Further mathematics and physics students are automatically labelled as being nerds, geeks, squares, or socially inept, but you cannot criticise an English literature student in a socially acceptable way.

Least respected: Electronics. Only around 1% of the population knows that this A Level even exists and around half of all electronic engineers I have met were unaware of its existence until I told them about it. The only people who respect it are an elite few who understand both the subject and the contents of the course. The Electronics A Level is simultaneously criticised as being a soft subject - because it isn't Russell Group and contains practical elements - and too theoretical to be useful - because it is quite mathematical.

ReputationRep:
    Im doing english literature, history and sociology next year, I hope they're respected.
    All sciences, maths and languages would also be respected. The least respected would be philosophy, pe, dance etc. i think.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.