Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm a minority, I do well in real life but on Tinder I am invisible. Watch

Does anyone else experience this? In real life when I go clubbing with friends I can pull girls pretty easily, getting approached to dance etc, twice a night is usual.

However, on Tinder, I really suck. I get 2-3 matches, if any.

My pictures are not terrible, but I get the feeling that people assume my profile is fake, or that I am a foreigner. I do live in the north east so that may have something to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    Twice only?

I suppose you can just stick with real life instead of using the app then. It's not for you to judge if your pics are terrible tho.

(Original post by egoclips)
    Twice only?

I suppose you can just stick with real life instead of using the app then. It's not for you to judge if your pics are terrible tho.
    Depends what nightclub it is obviously, e.g. at Pitcher and Piano no one really approaches, at a hotel bar no one really approaches. But at a more relaxed place I get more than 2 a night , 4-5. Student nights used to be crazy, but it depends on where you go. E.g. Bijoux in Newcastle, I ALWAYS got racist slander there.

I really do not think it is my pictures. I think people genuinely have a "eurghhh he's foreign and therefore an unsafe choice" reaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Depends what nightclub it is obviously, e.g. at Pitcher and Piano no one really approaches, at a hotel bar no one really approaches. But at a more relaxed place I get more than 2 a night , 4-5. Student nights used to be crazy, but it depends on where you go. E.g. Bijoux in Newcastle, I ALWAYS got racist slander there.

I really do not think it is my pictures. I think people genuinely have a "eurghhh he's foreign and therefore an unsafe choice" reaction.
    i don't find non-caucasians "unsafe", I'm just not attracted to them. I don't think it's racism either.

(Original post by samharrison)
    i don't find non-caucasians "unsafe", I'm just not attracted to them. I don't think it's racism either.
    Yeah, but the discrepancy between Tinder and real life really does not make sense.

Not saying you're racist for being unattracted to non-caucasians, that is your choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samharrison)
    Technically that is pretty much the exact definition of racism, but it seems to be socially acceptable because you get to choose who you bump uglies with.

To the OP: Most guys find tinder ****. Girls get more matches generally. If your pics are **** (agree with someone else, you don't get to judge if this is the case) you better be able to have some written game to get you matches.

ReputationRep:

The reality is that those racist people didn't pull and you did! Otherwise they would've been spending their time fingering a girl in the club or kissing one, instead of being racist.

I'm a minority myself I totally understand what you've been through. I was called a Chinese **** by a drunk chav in the club while kissing a girl. Would you start barking back to a dog when it's barking at you while you're walking down the street? No!

Anyways, I never need to use tinder so i can't really help you on that

The reality is that those racist people didn't pull and you did! Otherwise they would've been spending their time fingering a girl in the club or kissing one, instead of being racist.

I'm a minority myself I totally understand what you've been through. I was called a Chinese **** by a drunk chav in the club while kissing a girl. Would you start barking back to a dog when it's barking at you while you're walking down the street? No!

Hey bro, my parents are Chinese too. I have had a similar situation as you did in a club before (when I was with a girl). Generally I find that people in the north east are very friendly and pleasant. However, there are always ****ing weirdos that don't know you but take the effort to approach you with racist comments.

I am not really bothered about Tinder, I just got mad that a girl I really liked (I am friend zoned I am afraid) met her boyfriend from there. My own insecurities about the thing basically and secretly wishing that was me as sad as it sounds.
    I would trade all of the club girls for her, basically.

ReputationRep:
    (I am friend zoned I am afraid)
    Don't use this concept. It makes you sound butt-hurt because you didn't get what you wanted. Not to mention the idea is disrespectful and implies that you deserve a relationship just for liking her.

Does anyone else experience this? In real life when I go clubbing with friends I can pull girls pretty easily, getting approached to dance etc, twice a night is usual.However, on Tinder, I really suck. I get 2-3 matches, if any.My pictures are not terrible, but I get the feeling that people assume my profile is fake, or that I am a foreigner. I do live in the north east so that may have something to do with it.
    Gosh all you guys care about pulling and Tinder???

That reminds me of a time my friend (black) kissed a Chinese guy in a nightclub and this randow black guy and this white guy were laughing and afterwards went up to her and asked if it tasted like egg fried rice I don't go clubbing much so I wonder if such comments are common place.

(Original post by HFBS)
    Don't use this concept. It makes you sound butt-hurt because you didn't get what you wanted. Not to mention the idea is disrespectful and implies that you deserve a relationship just for liking her.
    What? I don't deserve a relationship with her just for liking her, didn't try to imply that.
    I am pretty butt hurt that I didn't get what I wanted though, who would not be?

Gosh all you guys care about pulling and Tinder???

That reminds me of a time my friend (black) kissed a Chinese guy in a nightclub and this randow black guy and this white guy were laughing and afterwards went up to her and asked if it tasted like egg fried rice I don't go clubbing much so I wonder if such comments are common place.

Very commonplace. It is not really the girls that direct those comments, the girls are fine (Well, apart from those that are very damn chavvy or from middle of nowhere farming communities). The biggest culprits are actually middle aged men. Younger guys are not as insulting.

ReputationRep:
    Given your pulling prowess, why are you wasting your time with Tinder? It's generally for people who can't do it the traditional way.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else experience this? In real life when I go clubbing with friends I can pull girls pretty easily, getting approached to dance etc, twice a night is usual.

However, on Tinder, I really suck. I get 2-3 matches, if any.

My pictures are not terrible, but I get the feeling that people assume my profile is fake, or that I am a foreigner. I do live in the north east so that may have something to do with it.
    Its two things mate:

1) IRL women have realistic standards, but online women get so many messages from guys, even average women, that their perception of their own value skyrockets and they expect all men to look like this:

http://40.media.tumblr.com/6009fe2ee...7thto1_500.jpg

2) Online dating is very racist. If you are an ethnic minority man you are going to have a bad time. See evidence here:

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/ra...ion-2009-2014/

Very commonplace. It is not really the girls that direct those comments, the girls are fine (Well, apart from those that are very damn chavvy or from middle of nowhere farming communities). The biggest culprits are actually middle aged men. Younger guys are not as insulting.
    Oh these were two young guys that said that. But yeah I can imagine the type you are talking about... Probably middle aged, fat, ruddy complexion, beer gut, worse English than the 'foreigners' they hate so much, bad teeth, bald....

(Original post by Death Grips)
    2) Online dating is very racist. If you are a minority man you are going to have a bad time. See evidence here:

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/ra...ion-2009-2014/
    What I always wondered about the whole ok cupid thing is where do mixed people stand? There's more to the world than black, white and Asian lol.

ReputationRep:
    What? I don't deserve a relationship with her just for liking her, didn't try to imply that.
    I am pretty butt hurt that I didn't get what I wanted though, who would not be?
    The idea of the friend zone is just pretty offensive. Unrequited feelings is a better term, as it implies that you respect her decision and her right to make that decision.

I'll tell you who wouldn't be. I wasn't. Had a pretty good casual thing going on, and would have really liked to turn it into a relationship. Sadly, that wasn't on offer. Rather than throw around the idea that the other party owed me a relationship, I took a step back and we agreed on friendship. Still friends now.

If you like her as a person, then friendship shouldn't be some hardship or consolation prize just because you would like more.

ReputationRep:
    What I always wondered about the whole ok cupid thing is where do mixed people stand? There's more to the world than black, white and Asian lol.
    The main point is for men, if you're not white you are going to have considerably less success at online dating, compared to white men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFBS)
    The idea of the friend zone is just pretty offensive. Unrequited feelings is a better term, as it implies that you respect her decision and her right to make that decision.
    Lol I dont think I have read anything more beta in my life.

If a girl friend zones you, the correct course of action is to forget she even exists.

(Original post by Death Grips)
    The main point is for men, if you're not white you are going to have considerably less success at online dating, compared to white men.
    I always thought it was black dudes that got all the girls. Never once in my life heard a black man complain about not being able to get women, but I see white dudes and Asian dudes crying about not getting women all the time. That is of course just what I've seen and I'm not sure about online dating as I've never done it or had to.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.