Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Osborne's austerity hasn't worked, so he proposes more austerity. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    Oh I see, but how is the government spending more than it can? Is this where things like Trident etc come into play or not?
    the governments spends more than it earns because they borrow the money.which we have to pay back with interest. this is why our debt is ridiculously high.

trident is a 180bn nuclear submarine, and the argument to do with austerity is that how can we have enough money for a nuclear submarine but not enough to give poor people university grants etc ( which actually help the economy in the long term, because a better educated population create better businesses etc)

(Original post by mangala)
    the governments spends more than it earns because they borrow the money.which we have to pay back with interest. this is why our debt is ridiculously high.

trident is a 180bn nuclear submarine, and the argument to do with austerity is that how can we have enough money for a nuclear submarine but not enough to give poor people university grants etc ( which actually help the economy in the long term, because a better educated population create better businesses etc)
    Oh I see...But why aren't rich people just taxed more than poor people? That seems like the most logical thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsenal96)
    Austerity has worked. We are the fastest growing economy in Europe and the developed world. Countries who opposed austerity like France, Spain and Greece had the worst growth...in fact negative growth

We are expected to overtake Germany as the 4th largest economy in the near future
    it is pretty clear you believe the BBC

http://www.theguardian.com/news/real...-major-economy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieran12321LFC)
    In real terms it's completely unfeasible to just kill all the rich people.Then we'd end up like a sub-Saharan African country
    those african countries would be fine if it wasn't for rich capitalists in the first place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    Oh I see...But why aren't rich people just taxed more than poor people? That seems like the most logical thing to do.
    they are in theory, but they dodge tax which is made possible by the government. (osborne own's 15% of a family business which has paid £0 in tax in a 200m turnover)

the government bring in people from accountancy firms to write the tax laws, who intentionally put loopholes in them. then big corporations like facebook and google go to those accountancy firms to ask them how to get arround the laws

ever noticed how they say it's hard to change the laws regarding tax evasion but when they wanna cut some benefits it is really easy? it isn't a coincidence

ReputationRep:
    those african countries would be fine if it wasn't for rich capitalists in the first place
    Have you ever read Henry Hazlitt's Economics in One Lesson? I recommend that you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordMallard)
    Have you ever read Henry Hazlitt's Economics in One Lesson? I recommend that you do.
    nah im not a tory

ReputationRep:
    it is pretty clear you believe the BBC

http://www.theguardian.com/news/real...-major-economy
    The guardian like the mail belongs with some of the worst news tabloids on earth so try again. The fact is all independent economic bodies have said this. The U.K. Is the fastest growing economy in the G7, Europe, the developed world, however you want to put it.

Only a tin foil nutter would think it is a conspiracy theory. I suggest you get back on the meds

ReputationRep:
    The guardian like the mail belongs with some of the worst news tabloids on earth so try again. The fact is all independent economic bodies have said this. The U.K. Is the fastest growing economy in the G7, Europe, the developed world, however you want to put it.

Only a tin foil nutter would think it is a conspiracy theory. I suggest you get back on the meds
    im not defending the guardian.

even if we were the fastest growing economy in the G7, is having a high gdp at the expense of poor people a good thing? i would much rather have a lower gdp with higher income equality than a high gdp. look at america.

ReputationRep:
    finally an op who's a legit and well-spoken lefty. there's hope for this forum yet.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you are right. The economy has gone to complete **** since 2008. /s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisb19)
    Yeah you are right. The economy has gone to complete **** since 2008. /s
    not what im saying. obviously the economy has grown, it wouldve grown with any party in charge. but it could have grown a lot faster without an austere government, and it would also mean nobody has to suffer in the process.

ReputationRep:
    can't believe you guys voted tory.

ReputationRep:
    im not defending the guardian.

even if we were the fastest growing economy in the G7, is having a high gdp at the expense of poor people a good thing? i would much rather have a lower gdp with higher income equality than a high gdp. look at america.
    That's not my point. Austerity is an economic policy and whatever you think, it has worked in terms of the economic status of this country. I personally disagree with a number of the cuts and have little concern on economic prosperity. It's feeds into my opinion on the EU. Whether the economy remains the same, improves or gets hit, I don't care. I value democracy and sovereignty over anything else.

ReputationRep:
    not what im saying. obviously the economy has grown, it wouldve grown with any party in charge. but it could have grown a lot faster without an austere government, and it would also mean nobody has to suffer in the process.
    The countries which did not introduce austerity have actually got worse so don't throw your opinion around as fact. There is no evidence whatsoever that without austerity we would have grown faster. I don't think anything would have grown the economy faster because the economies around the world are suffering (many due to their left wing spending sprees e.g. Spain and Greece). Our economy is partly dependent on other economies. We have come out good on that front

ReputationRep:
    That's not my point. Austerity is an economic policy and whatever you think, it has worked in terms of the economic status of this country. I personally disagree with a number of the cuts and have little concern on economic prosperity. It's feeds into my opinion on the EU. Whether the economy remains the same, improves or gets hit, I don't care. I value democracy and sovereignty over anything else.
    osborne said he would be in a surplus by 2015. we are in the 6th year of his 5 year plan, clearly the economy isn't growing as quickly as he claimed.

http://www.economicvoice.com/wp-cont...don-and-uk.jpg

where is the rapid growth?

ReputationRep:
    osborne said he would be in a surplus by 2015. we are in the 6th year of his 5 year plan, clearly the economy isn't growing as quickly as he claimed.

http://www.economicvoice.com/wp-cont...don-and-uk.jpg

where is the rapid growth?
    "Fastest growth in the G7, developed world and Europe", that's what I said re-read. You can never dispute that

ReputationRep:
    The countries which did not introduce austerity have actually got worse so don't throw your opinion around as fact. There is no evidence whatsoever that without austerity we would have grown faster. I don't think anything would have grown the economy faster because the economies around the world are suffering (many due to their left wing spending sprees e.g. Spain and Greece). Our economy is partly dependent on other economies. We have come out good on that front
    hahahahahaha you're bringing up greece in DEFENCE of austerity ?????

ReputationRep:
    hahahahahaha you're bringing up greece in DEFENCE of austerity ?????
    Greece had austerity imposed because they were spending way more than they could produce. The percentage of GDP they were spending was childish. Austerity was the only way forward for them

ReputationRep:
    "Fastest growth in the G7, developed world and Europe", that's what I said re-read. You can never dispute that
    the tories say they have reduced child poverty by 15 trillion percent but that clearly isn't true is it ?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.