Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WGE)
    For the Special study we are predominantly looking at the following 8 cases:

Fagan v Metropolitan Police Commissioner [1969]
    R v Ireland; R v Burstow [1997]
    R v Clarence [1888]
    R v Wilson [1984]
    R v Cunningham [1957]
    JJC (a minor) v Eisenhower [1983]
    R v Bollom [2003]
    R v Golding [2014]

Anyone who could provide case analysis on each including critical points, analytical points, a linked case and what ever else they feel worthy of note, it would be HUGELY appreciated.
    Have you started the special study already?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suraj98)
    Have you started the special study already?
    Yes, just recently, we are currently researching cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimir)
    Some starters for 10 on these questions:

The legal issue here is the mens rea. If all the elements of both actus reus and mens rea of Murder are made out, then you have the offence. The malice aforethought might be key here. If all elements of the offence are made out, but he did not in fact Murder her, the offence is not complete. There is still an offence in here, however. It may still be attempt, or inchoate (incomplete).

This has just been altered in the Court of Appeal. The BBC did some coverage of it.
    See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35598896 and https://www.supremecourt.uk/.../uksc-2015-0015-judgment.pdf

Consider the actus reus and mens rea first. Then consider the defences (intoxication by drugs).

This question verges on Tort however. There is a question of Novus Actus Interveniens (an act so potent that it breaks the chain of causation). Consider this in the Crime part of the question too (IE: Is the accused actually responsible for the victim's death?).

Blimey. Offences to consider:

Arson, Aggravated Arson;
    Trespass;
    Theft;
    Robbery;
    Burglary;
    Non Fatal Offences Against the Person.

I'll leave the rest to you all, I don't know how detailed the answer should be at your level.
    (Original post by Mimir)
    Some starters for 10 on these questions:

The legal issue here is the mens rea. If all the elements of both actus reus and mens rea of Murder are made out, then you have the offence. The malice aforethought might be key here. If all elements of the offence are made out, but he did not in fact Murder her, the offence is not complete. There is still an offence in here, however. It may still be attempt, or inchoate (incomplete).

This has just been altered in the Court of Appeal. The BBC did some coverage of it.
    See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35598896 and https://www.supremecourt.uk/.../uksc-2015-0015-judgment.pdf

Consider the actus reus and mens rea first. Then consider the defences (intoxication by drugs).

This question verges on Tort however. There is a question of Novus Actus Interveniens (an act so potent that it breaks the chain of causation). Consider this in the Crime part of the question too (IE: Is the accused actually responsible for the victim's death?).

Blimey. Offences to consider:

Arson, Aggravated Arson;
    Trespass;
    Theft;
    Robbery;
    Burglary;
    Non Fatal Offences Against the Person.

I'll leave the rest to you all, I don't know how detailed the answer should be at your level.
    This is so so so helpful!!! thank you!!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0123456543210)
    People, how many pages do you usually write for Section A, B and C questions and how long does it take you? Exams are approaching, and I still can't write all the info needed for Section A qs in 50 minutes (takes me approximately 1 hour to write 5 1/2 pages)
    5 and a half pages!!!! I can only manage to write about 2. It's not about quantity its about quality. remember for these questions you only need 8 cases (use principles not facts of the case), always include a reform and analyse the law

For Section A I spend approximately about 45 mins (i memorise the answers word for word-takes time but saves time in the exam).

For section B i first write out all A01 (which i also memorise word for word and takes about 15-20 mins depending on the question) and then i apply it to the scenario which takes about 20-25 mins. so in total for section B it takes between 35 and 45 mins.

For section C I spend 30 mins purely for the fact if i rush this section i tend to misread the statements.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I know this is a 2016 thread, but does anyone have any predictions for the exam on the 13th of June 2017? No other threads have replies to them and I am really starting to stress now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawstudent1997)
    I know this is a 2016 thread, but does anyone have any predictions for the exam on the 13th of June 2017? No other threads have replies to them and I am really starting to stress now.
    - Hi there,

I have done some research into Criminal Law past paper questions from the January 2011 to June 16 paper [with help from @lawstudent1997].

My findings are below this.

NOTE: Please be aware that this is purely information that I have retrieved, so like most things on the internet, it can be subject to error (also anything without a credible source ought to be cautioned as potentially wrong).

Furthermore, the information supplied is just that, information. No predictions have been made, nor can any accurate predictions can be derived from such info.
    So revise as usual anyway, try your best because it's all you can do. And if it's all you can do, then you won't be able to regret anything

-Here are some of my findings:

Strict Liability has yet to appear in a Section B question. It has only appeared 3 times in Section A and only 2 times in Section C.

Murder and Actus Reus has yet to appear in a Section C question.

Defence has appeared in every Section A (apart from in Jan 12).

- Lists in order of popularity:

(1) = this topic has only came up 1 time from Jan 11 to June 16 in this section.

Section A):
    1) Defences (8)
    2) Actus reus [Causation and Omission] (5)
    =3) Manslaughter (3)
    =3) Strict Liability
    =3) Murder
    =4) Theft/Robbery/Burglary (2)
    =4) Attempts
    5) Non-Fatal Offences (1)

Section B):
    1) Manslaughter (9)
    2) Theft/Robbery/Burglary (8)
    2) Murder (7)
    3) Defences (5)
    =4) Actus reus (4)
    =4) Non-Fatal
    5) Attempts (1)
    6) Strict Liability (0)

Section C):
    1) Theft/Robbery/Burglary (4)
    =2) Manslaughter (3)
    =2) Defences
    =2) Non-Fatal
    =2) Theft
    =3) Attempts (2)
    =3) Strict Liability
    =4) Murder (0)
    =4) Actus reus

I have made handwritten tables for each section if anyone would like to request a potato quality photo of them

P.S.
    If you're reading this, then remember that life would be really boring (more so than this post haha) if we didn't have any challenges to face. A hurdles race would be pointless if it didn't have any hurdles, rock climbing would also be pointless if the world was completely flat.
    So appreciate these 'dire' and 'stressful' times for what they are. Another (temporary) challenge in your life. You've got this, don't worry .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayMal1)
    - Hi there,

I have done some research into Criminal Law past paper questions from the January 2011 to June 15 paper [Not including 2016 Paper] (so statement's accuracy may vary depending on what the 2016 questions were).

My findings are below this.

NOTE: Please be aware that this is purely information that I have retrieved, so like most things on the internet, it can be subject to error (also anything without a credible source ought to be cautioned as potentially wrong).

Furthermore, the information supplied is just that, information. No predictions have been made, nor can any accurate predictions can be derived from such info.
    So revise as usual anyway, try your best because it's all you can do. And if it's all you can do, then you won't be able to regret anything .

-Here are some of my findings:

Strict Liability has yet to appear in a Section B question. It has only appeared 3 times in Section A and only 2 times in Section C.

Murder and Actus Reus has yet to appear in a Section C question.

Defence has appeared in every Section A (apart from in Jan 12). And also appeared in every Section B (apart from in June 13 and June 14). However, has only appeared in Section C 2 times.
    [Either way, it seems like Defence is likely to be in our paper in some form.]

- Lists in order of popularity:

(1) = this topic has only came up 1 time from Jan 11 to June 15 in this section.

Section A):
    1) Defences (7)
    2) Actus reus [Causation and Omission] (5)
    =3) Manslaughter (3)
    =3) Strict Liability
    =3) Murder
    =4) Theft/Robbery/Burglary (1)
    =4) Non-Fatal Offences
    =4) Attempts

Section B):
    =1) Theft/Robbery/Burglary (8)
    =1) Manslaughter
    2) Murder (6)
    3) Defences (5)
    4) Actus reus (4)
    5) Non-Fatal (3)
    6) Attempts (1)
    7) Strict Liability (0)

Section C):
    =1) Manslaughter (3)
    =1) Defences
    =1) Non-Fatal
    =1) Theft
    =2) Attempts (2)
    =2) Strict Liability
    =3) Murder (0)
    =3) Actus reus

I have made handwritten tables for each section if anyone would like to request a potato quality photo of them

P.S.
    If you're reading this, then remember that life would be really boring (more so than this post haha) if we didn't have any challenges to face. A hurdles race would be pointless if it didn't have any hurdles, rock climbing would also be pointless if the world was completely flat.
    So appreciate these 'dire' and 'stressful' times for what they are. Another (temporary) challenge in your life. You've got this, don't worry .
    this was very useful, thank you! Only thing is that you haven't included Criminal Attempts. Last year's paper had Attempts, Theft and Intoxication for Section A, Non-Fatal Offences, Murder and Involuntary Manslaughter for Section B and Insanity+Automatism, Robber+Burglary for Section C.

ReputationRep:
    this was very useful, thank you! Only thing is that you haven't included Criminal Attempts. Last year's paper had Attempts, Theft and Intoxication for Section A, Non-Fatal Offences, Murder and Involuntary Manslaughter for Section B and Insanity+Automatism, Robber+Burglary for Section C.
    Ah thank you very much for this. And ye sorry about criminal attempts, my centre chose attempts to leave out, so out of my ignorance I put them all as the same 'Attempts' .
    I will edit the post shortly with the new info , cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Also, our course is getting reformed soon, right? So the exam board might try to cover all aspects of the course before it finishes.

If it helps, here's an approximate total of how many times a topic has appeared in a question.

1) Defences (17)
    2) Manslaughter (15)
    3) Theft/Burglary/Robbery (14)
    4) Murder (10)
    5) Actus reus (9)
    6) Non-Fatal (8)
    =7) Attempts (5)
    =7) Strict Liability (5)

With Strict Liability only appearing 5 times in the last 9 papers, and if OCR will be aiming to cover all of the course, then I wouldn't be surprised if there was a question on it. Also, it is a fairly nice topic to revise.

I always go to http://e-lawresources.co.uk/Strict-liability.php for a nice framework and 8 cases for setting up my answer, in case you ever need a quick refresh too

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.