Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garyshortall)
    For the Criminal Law G153 Paper how many subjects would i need to know inside out? would it be safe to leave a few out?
    I'd say you can afford to leave out one topic completely, but you need to remember that some topics are interlinked for section B and/or section C. They might ask you to talk about Murder and Attempts, for example, or Murder and Voluntary Manslaughter.

I personally won't be missing out a topic, however, will only learn the A01 of Theft, Robbery and Burglary, and the defences. That way you're safer - if it comes up in section B or section C, you have your knowledge. If it comes up in section A, you can miss it out. It's highly unlikely that Theft AND Burglary and Robbery will both come up in Section A since they're both come under the 'offences against property' topic.

(Original post by callummassey)
    do you have any suggestions for what may come up?
    I honestly have no idea. Because there are 8 questions out of 12 topics, it's pretty hard to predict. Are there any topics you're missing out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by null.and.void.)
    I'd say you can afford to leave out one topic completely, but you need to remember that some topics are interlinked for section B and/or section C. They might ask you to talk about Murder and Attempts, for example, or Murder and Voluntary Manslaughter.

I personally won't be missing out a topic, however, will only learn the A01 of Theft, Robbery and Burglary, and the defences. That way you're safer - if it comes up in section B or section C, you have your knowledge. If it comes up in section A, you can miss it out. It's highly unlikely that Theft AND Burglary and Robbery will both come up in Section A since they're both come under the 'offences against property' topic.

I honestly have no idea. Because there are 8 questions out of 12 topics, it's pretty hard to predict. Are there any topics you're missing out?
    thanks! i might just learn A01 for the ones i'm unsure on. I'm definitely leaving out voluntary manslaughter and some defences (insanity, automatism) but will just learn A01 for Theft, Robbery and burglary.

ReputationRep:
    thanks! i might just learn A01 for the ones i'm unsure on. I'm definitely leaving out voluntary manslaughter and some defences (insanity, automatism) but will just learn A01 for Theft, Robbery and burglary.
    Like I said, I wouldn't recommend missing out more than a topic. Only if you're not missing out a topic would I recommend that you leave out the AO2 for no more than 2-3 topics.

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, I wouldn't recommend missing out more than a topic. Only if you're not missing out a topic would I recommend that you leave out the AO2 for no more than 2-3 topics.
    Okay thanks, if involuntary manslaughter was to come up would all 3 elements be asked? I don't think i've came across an involuntary manslaughter question.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks, if involuntary manslaughter was to come up would all 3 elements be asked? I don't think i've came across an involuntary manslaughter question.
    Yep, the last time it came up was in June 2015, section B. You'd need to refer to all the three types of involuntary manslaughter.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh odds are it won't be on this year then?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh odds are it won't be on this year then?
    I wouldn't completely rule it out, but the odds are likely to be in your favour. If it does come up, you could of course just do the other question.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't completely rule it out, but the odds are likely to be in your favour. If it does come up, you could of course just do the other question.
    What came up on last years exam? I've checked the internet for it but cannot find it.

ReputationRep:
    have you wrote any responses to question 1 for the special study paper?

ReputationRep:
    have you wrote any responses to question 1 for the special study paper?
    Yep, I did one. I'm yet to do a few more, but will do so later...

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have answers for section B questions as I struggle with the amount of detail I am meant to go into for A01?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I did one. I'm yet to do a few more, but will do so later...
    Could you share the one that you did?

ReputationRep:
    Could you share the one that you did?
    I'll type it up and PM it to you as soon as I get the chance to. Have you done any so far?

ReputationRep:
    I'll type it up and PM it to you as soon as I get the chance to. Have you done any so far?
    Not yet im looking for a good example to get a feel for how the question needs to be structured

ReputationRep:
    Not yet im looking for a good example to get a feel for how the question needs to be structured
    yeah me too, you seem pretty clued up on law haha

ReputationRep:
    Can someone clarify this for me? In Source 2 (special study) it states that even when the victim knows the accused has HIV and risks being infected he is still guilty of S18? Am i reading this right?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone clarify this for me? In Source 2 (special study) it states that even when the victim knows the accused has HIV and risks being infected he is still guilty of S18? Am i reading this right?
    Yes consent is not a defence to section 18

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Even when the victim gives an informed consent to have sex with the infected defendant, the defendant will still be guilty of S18 as he knows the infection will pass onto her, and therefore, forms the intention to cause GBH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0123456543210)
    Don't ignore the mens rea, even if you don't think it makes a great essay, you still would be required to apply some of its principles throughout the problem question, and even Section C ones.
    btw. PM if anyone needs any relatively concise notes, I've spent ages typing them up and they seem like a nice way to revise since most of them are structured in such a way that resemble essay answers and include the key principles allowing you to answer section B and C questions.
    Hi there, can you send me these notes please?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Even when the victim gives an informed consent to have sex with the infected defendant, the defendant will still be guilty of S18 as he knows the infection will pass onto her, and therefore, forms the intention to cause GBH.
    This is broadly correct. It was made clear in R v Dica at [58] that informed consent cannot operate as a defence to the Section 18 offence:

[58] We repeat that the Crown did not allege, and we therefore are
    not considering the deliberate infection, or spreading of HIV with
    intent to cause grievous bodily harm. In such circumstances, the
    application of what we may describe as the principle in Brown
    means that the agreement of the participants would provide no
    defence to a charge under s 18 of the 1861 Act.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.