Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What happened to 0123456543210? He/she was one of the most helpful contributors to this thread.

In all honesty, I'm not feeling my best for the two exams. I've had a private tutor for A2 and I've almost always had good feedback from her. However, in order to get my required grade for university, I need an A. For AS, I achieved a B and I've worked out that I'll need around 90%+ for both exams in order to get an A overall. My normal average is around a low A, so I need to pull up my socks big time.

What about you guys, what did you get for AS and what are you aiming to get for A2?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any notes on duress including AO1 and AO2 points - i am really struggling with it? thank you in advanced

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by null.and.void.)
    What happened to 0123456543210? He/she was one of the most helpful contributors to this thread.

In all honesty, I'm not feeling my best for the two exams. I've had a private tutor for A2 and I've almost always had good feedback from her. However, in order to get my required grade for university, I need an A. For AS, I achieved a B and I've worked out that I'll need around 90%+ for both exams in order to get an A overall. My normal average is around a low A, so I need to pull up my socks big time.

What about you guys, what did you get for AS and what are you aiming to get for A2?
    Probably got banned for having some unpopular political views, don't know.
    I need an A as well and only got a B last year, insane amount of cases and principles to remember this year don't do much help either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09876543211)
    Probably got banned for having some unpopular political views, don't know.
    I need an A as well and only got a B last year, insane amount of cases and principles to remember this year don't do much help either.
    Hopefully we'll get what we've been working for! I've still got quite a few cases to remember with other exams to revise for! Oh the stress and pressure :/

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone share any material they have for the special study? I'm really starting to panic now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danitbo)
    Can anyone share any material they have for the special study? I'm really starting to panic now!
    I don't have much material either, as our teacher left us to our own devices. However, if you have any specific questions as to the material of the special study or answering format of the exam questions, I am glad to help.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have much material either, as our teacher left us to our own devices. However, if you have any specific questions as to the material of the special study or answering format of the exam questions, I am glad to help.
    Yeah same here! We were given the pre-release booklet and some notes on A02 but I have no idea where to find the knowledge for A01?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GFEFC1)
    Yeah same here! We were given the pre-release booklet and some notes on A02 but I have no idea where to find the knowledge for A01?
    How do you even distinguish between AO1 and AO2?

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea they both seem to be stating the same thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GFEFC1)
    I was told that AO2 is making the analytical and evaluative points, whereas AO1 is making the critical points.

Still doesn't exactly make clear sense to me, though.

ReputationRep:
    hi guys im doing OCR, does anyone have any tips for the second paper ???

ReputationRep:
    I am confused with the law on burglary.
    Anyone knows if for example D enters a building with intention to steal and then actually steals, would that be both 9(1)(a) and 9(1)(b) burglaries committed, or only 9(1)(a)? I understand that for (a) nothing needs to be stolen as it's all about D's intent on entry, but if D actually steals and has the intent on entry, what would the outcome be?

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding the first paper soooo hard to remember, there is too much stuff! I'm thinking of missing a few topics but which ones do you think are okay to miss?

2nd paper - for A02 refer to different cases, advantages and disadvantages, reform etc. just expand your point

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any predictions which may come up this year?
    i have a strong feeling that Mens Rea is certain to come up in section A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgan_123)
    I'm finding the first paper soooo hard to remember, there is too much stuff! I'm thinking of missing a few topics but which ones do you think are okay to miss?

2nd paper - for A02 refer to different cases, advantages and disadvantages, reform etc. just expand your point
    I was told you could miss out any topic, as long as you know the other stuff relatively well. I wouldn't miss more than one topic, though. The general defences seem like a good topic to miss out considering how long it is.

(Original post by kaz786)
    Anyone have any predictions which may come up this year?
    i have a strong feeling that Mens Rea is certain to come up in section A.
    It's hard to predict considering 8 questions on any topic out of 12 could come up. I do hope Omissions/Murder/Voluntary Manslaughter comes up for section A, though. I enjoy that quite a bit... (probably because I still need to get my head around the other stuff).

(Original post by alibizi)
    hi guys im doing OCR, does anyone have any tips for the second paper ???
    I've been told it's relatively easy if you get your head around it. Know the sources inside out, make sure you know the format of the questions and how to answer them and learn the additional cases you need to know. I'll be digging into it properly after two of my exams on Wednesday are over, but from what I've been looking into so far, it's making sure you know the cases and the law inside out for consent.

I am confused with the law on burglary.
    Anyone knows if for example D enters a building with intention to steal and then actually steals, would that be both 9(1)(a) and 9(1)(b) burglaries committed, or only 9(1)(a)? I understand that for (a) nothing needs to be stolen as it's all about D's intent on entry, but if D actually steals and has the intent on entry, what would the outcome be?
    It would be section 9 (1)(a) because he has the intention to steal and actually does so. The only difference between 9(1)(b) and 9(1)(a) is that the former forms the intention to steal/GBH/unlawful damage after the entry whereas the latter goes into the building/part of building with the intention to steal/cause GBH/unlawful damage.

For example, in the case of Walkington, D was convicted under section 9(1)(a) because he formed the intention to steal from part of a building before actually doing so.

I can't find a case for 9(1)(b), but if I had gone into my neighbour's house and after entering had decided I want to steal his shoes, that would burglary under section 9(1)(b).

ReputationRep:
    It would be section 9 (1)(a) because he has the intention to steal and actually does so. The only difference between 9(1)(b) and 9(1)(a) is that the former forms the intention to steal/GBH/unlawful damage after the entry whereas the latter goes into the building/part of building with the intention to steal/cause GBH/unlawful damage.

For example, in the case of Walkington, D was convicted under section 9(1)(a) because he formed the intention to steal from part of a building before actually doing so.

I can't find a case for 9(1)(b), but if I had gone into my neighbour's house and after entering had decided I want to steal his shoes, that would burglary under section 9(1)(b).
    Thanks for your response.
    It makes sense, but in the section B it doesn't seems to be so clear cut. For example, D goes into a shop with intention to steal cash from the till (so that's 9(1a) straight away) even though he notices CCTV and does not do so. However, he grabs something from a shelf and then doesn't pay for it. Clearly D intended to steal on entry so that's 9(1a), but then steals another thing. Would that theft from the shelf come into the aforementioned 9(1a), or to a new 9(1b) offence?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your response.
    It makes sense, but in the section B it doesn't seems to be so clear cut. For example, D goes into a shop with intention to steal cash from the till (so that's 9(1a) straight away) even though he notices CCTV and does not do so. However, he grabs something from a shelf and then doesn't pay for it. Clearly D intended to steal on entry so that's 9(1a), but then steals another thing. Would that theft from the shelf come into the aforementioned 9(1a), or to a new 9(1b) offence?
    It wouldn't make a difference on what he intended to steal - as long as he had an intention to steal (even if he decides to steal something else later). Thus, he would still be convicted under section 9(1)(a).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xabsx)
    My law teacher said these were likely to come up on Section A:

Basic: Mens Rea (advised not to do it) or Attempts
    Offence: Non-fatal or Theft
    Defense: Intoxication as hasn't been on for 7 past exams (since 2011 Jan)
    Thanks! did they predict section B and C at all?

I think I'm going to study in depth the likely topics then skim over the ones from last year otherwise it's just too much

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't make a difference on what he intended to steal - as long as he had an intention to steal (even if he decides to steal something else later). Thus, he would still be convicted under section 9(1)(a).
    Surely the person would have comitted both S9(1)(a) and S9(1)(b) as they intended to steal and they did steal, a website I found says "in many instances the same conduct could amount to an offence under both sections but not always"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgan_123)
    Surely the person would have comitted both S9(1)(a) and S9(1)(b) as they intended to steal and they did steal, a website I found says "in many instances the same conduct could amount to an offence under both sections but not always"
    That's what I thought. 9(1)a is defined as "D will be guilty if he enters a building/part of a building as a trespasser with intention to steal, cause unlawful damage or GBH". So it makes sense that the offence is committed at the point of entry and anything else that happens therein (except criminal damage) should be counted as 9(1)b which is defined as "having entered..... D then steals or attempts to steal, or inflicts GBH or attempts to inflict GBH".

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.