Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pretty girls do go for "nice guys" but are you actually a nice guy? Watch

ReputationRep:
    First of all, I am not an expert, and do not claim to be an expert in dating, so don't troll. However this is something I have noticed, and to some extent personal experience (bought too many drinks I shouldn't have bothered with)

Some guys who consider themselves nice actually only see themselves this way because they avoid confrontation by buying a girl drinks, meals, lending money etc. Girls should be bought things by the guy, sure. But in moderation, and never because she has asked you to. These kind of people are actually just pushovers too afraid to say hang on a minute, this seems a little unfair. They think because they're too afraid to say no to a girl this means they are a nice person.

What girls actually want is a nice guy who is STRONG. You can say no to things and question the girl if you feel you are being treated unfairly and still be a nice guy, if you put your thoughts across in the right way. A man afraid to say no is not a nice guy, he's just weak. Girls do not want weak, this is how you end up getting used.

Also one more thing ! Buying a drink for a girl at the bar is another sign of weakness, don't use it as a way to make conversation. If they're interested, they wont expect a drink, and the drink will be irrelevant whether you buy it or not.... Don't be one of the ten guys that have bought her a drink that night while she brags to her mates about how she never buys a drink on a night out.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2cool)
    First of all, I am not an expert, and do not claim to be an expert in dating, so don't troll. However this is something I have noticed, and a personal steep learning curve .

Some guys who consider themselves nice actually only see themselves this way because they avoid confrontation by buying a girl drinks, meals, lending money etc. Girls should be bought things by the guy, sure. But in moderation, and never because she has asked you to. These kind of people are actually just pushovers too afraid to say hang on a minute, this seems a little unfair. They think because they're too afraid to say no to a girl this means they are a nice person.

What girls actually want is a nice guy who is STRONG. You can say no to things and question the girl if you feel you are being treated unfairly and still be a nice guy, if you put your thoughts across in the right way. A man afraid to say no is not a nice guy, he's just weak. Girls do not want weak, this is how you end up getting used.

Thoughts?
    every page in the chat history wants its thread back. thank you

ReputationRep:
    I feel like the guys whom you are talking about are the same people that use the term 'friend zoned', they're nice to someone just because they want to get with them and when they person rejects them, they feel bitter as they think they're owed something for being a good friend

ReputationRep:
    No one likes a creampuff, or some spineless, jellyfish corporate yes man.

"nice" guys are the passive aggressive creeps who think by white knighting, being beta and all repressed get da ladies. They don't.
    Women are like men: they value genuine, authentic, caring, assertive people.

IMHO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    I feel like the guys whom you are talking about are the same people that use the term 'friend zoned', they're nice to someone just because they want to get with them and when they person rejects them, they feel bitter as they think they're owed something for being a good friend
    well perhaps they are owed something, if not sexual compensation then financial.

if the girl is just pretty and her company is ****, why do you think he's hanging out with her. why is anybody? and if his company is good and he's funny etc, can't he expect more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apronedsamurai)
    No one likes a creampuff, or some spineless, jellyfish corporate yes man.

"nice" guys are the passive aggressive creeps who think by white knighting, being beta and all repressed get da ladies. They don't.
    Women are like men: they value genuine, authentic, caring, assertive people.

IMHO
    i don't look for assertiveness in women. i like attractive, nice women

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samharrison)
    well perhaps they are owed something, if not sexual compensation then financial.

if the girl is just pretty and her company is ****, why do you think he's hanging out with her. why is anybody? and if his company is good and he's funny etc, can't he expect more?
    No, they're not. We owe each other respect and that does not come from basically trying to manipulate someone into giving you something because you think you deserve it, and can you imagine how insulting it is to find out that someone was just pretending to be your friend because they found you attractive and nothing more?

ReputationRep:
    every page in the chat history wants its thread back. thank you
    Not sure if this is a dig at me, saying this has been posted numerous times, or if its a dig at all the "why don't pretty girls go for nice guys like me " threads

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    No, they're not. We owe each other respect and that does not come from basically trying to manipulate someone into giving you something because you think you deserve it, and can you imagine how insulting it is to find out that someone was just pretending to be your friend because they found you attractive and nothing more?
    well the guy they end up ****ing is the same heehee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2cool)
    Not sure if this is a dig at me, saying this has been posted numerous times, or if its a dig at all the "why don't pretty girls go for nice guys like me " threads
    it's a dig at you so bore off

ReputationRep:
    "...Girls should be bought things by the guy, sure"

um.. What? What do I get?

ReputationRep:
    a guy should be strong and should be able to communicate freely with the girl, if he thinks he's been treated unfairly then he should say it
    its all about being able to communicate properly without arguing
    long relationship tip 1
    but then again a guy should be 'nice' enough to compromise a bit
    as should the girl...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2cool)
    First of all, I am not an expert, and do not claim to be an expert in dating, so don't troll. However this is something I have noticed, and to some extent personal experience (bought too many drinks I shouldn't have bothered with)

Also one more thing ! Buying a drink for a girl at the bar is another sign of weakness, don't use it as a way to make conversation. If they're interested, they wont expect a drink, and the drink will be irrelevant whether you buy it or not.... Don't be one of the ten guys that have bought her a drink that night while she brags to her mates about how she never buys a drink on a night out.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv)
    "...Girls should be bought things by the guy, sure"

um.. What? What do I get?
    I should have elaborated - they should be surprised from time to time and treated to things, but it should be reciprocated not just one way traffic. I didn't want to give off the opinion you shouldn't buy a woman anything ever and treat her like ****

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to add that no, girls do not like the entire subset "nice guys" of "guys". If you're overweight and long term unemployed and nice, outlook is bleak for a relationship tbh, regardless of how nice you are and what other attributes you might have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death Grips)
    Yet time and time again "nice guys" are always complaining girls want bad boys. I agree it should be obvious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2cool)

Also one more thing ! Buying a drink for a girl at the bar is another sign of weakness, don't use it as a way to make conversation. If they're interested, they wont expect a drink, and the drink will be irrelevant whether you buy it or not.... Don't be one of the ten guys that have bought her a drink that night while she brags to her mates about howshe never buys a drink on a night out.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to add that no, girls do not like the entire subset "nice guys" of "guys". If you're overweight and long term unemployed and nice, outlook is bleak for a relationship tbh, regardless of how nice you are and what other attributes you might have.
    Of course, in the same way that looks do matter, no matter how great your personality and job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    See attached.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2cool)
    See attached.
    that's why you have -1 in your rep

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.