Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need urgent advice concerning concentration issues Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am in year 12 at the moment doing AS levels and it is really becoming a problem that I just cannot focus on a single thing. I flew through my GCSEs without much or any revision but it has quickly become apparent that I won't be able to do that this year. It is not that I lack motivation or organisation, I can make a time table, buy different coloured paper for notes and have tried all different learning techniques such as listening to information but I just zone out during the first minute I try revising and daydream and fidget even just stare into space. It's sometimes the same when people are talking to me and this has gone on for as long as I can remember. I'm really interested in my subjects so I don't think this is the problem and I don't think it's complacency either because I know I'm going to fail if I don't sort myself out. Has anyone else had these problems that had been able to remedy it? This isn't just procrastination, I am physically unable to sit still and concentrate

ReputationRep:
    Try just doing a question 1 at a time to begin with like a question every 20 minutes or so the build it up. I did that and passed year 12, I struggled with it a lot.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I agree with the above. I find that if I spend too long on a subject, I just zone out. Too much noise doesn't help me either.

I was advised to take a break (get a drink, go for a walk, etc) every hour for 10 minutes or so.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry your having trouble concentrating. I know that that can be very bewildering. It sounds like your stressed! Zoning out, staring blankly, not being able to bring one's mind round to concentrate are all things that happen when one has underlying stress. There are lots of things that help with stress, such as:
    - exercise
    - a balanced diet
    - fresh air
    - company
    - anything you find relaxing
    - breathing exercises, meditation practices.
    I've found that upping any one of these can often help with my stress levels. If you can trace your stress, even if you can't eliminate or 'fix' the cause of it, being aware of what's bothering you will help to lighten the load (I find that helps me to put things in perspective).
    Hope you find some of this helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Des_Lumières)
    I'm sorry your having trouble concentrating. I know that that can be very bewildering. It sounds like your stressed! Zoning out, staring blankly, not being able to bring one's mind round to concentrate are all things that happen when one has underlying stress. There are lots of things that help with stress, such as:
    - exercise
    - a balanced diet
    - fresh air
    - company
    I've found that upping any one of these can often help with my stress levels. If you can trace your stress, even if you can't eliminate or 'fix' the cause of it, being aware of what's bothering you will help to lighten the load (I find that helps me to put things in perspective).
    Yes that could be it, I could be so stressed about the exams that I can't revise for them - kind of a vicious circle. Thanks for the advice it's really really helpful I'll be sure to try some of these.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninjasayshi)
    Try just doing a question 1 at a time to begin with like a question every 20 minutes or so the build it up. I did that and passed year 12, I struggled with it a lot.
    Ok so short bursts might help, thanks for the advice - really appreciate it 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DotDotDot...)
    I am in year 12 at the moment doing AS levels and it is really becoming a problem that I just cannot focus on a single thing. I flew through my GCSEs without much or any revision but it has quickly become apparent that I won't be able to do that this year. It is not that I lack motivation or organisation, I can make a time table, buy different coloured paper for notes and have tried all different learning techniques such as listening to information but I just zone out during the first minute I try revising and daydream and fidget even just stare into space. It's sometimes the same when people are talking to me and this has gone on for as long as I can remember. I'm really interested in my subjects so I don't think this is the problem and I don't think it's complacency either because I know I'm going to fail if I don't sort myself out. Has anyone else had these problems that had been able to remedy it? This isn't just procrastination, I am physically unable to sit still and concentrate
    If you are at a UK school see your schools SEN teacher for a simple assessment. Also consider having an eye test if you have not had one in recent years, it's amazing how distracting it is if you cannot see properly. When I put my glasses on, I automatically hear better, odd but true! Finally plenty of sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxfordians13)
    If you are at a UK school see your schools SEN teacher for a simple assessment. Also consider having an eye test if you have not had one in recent years, it's amazing how distracting it is if you cannot see properly. When I put my glasses on, I automatically hear better, odd but true! Finally plenty of sleep.
    Actually I just got glasses last month, maybe I should start wearing them haha. Yes I should definitely be getting more sleep that's something I could do easily. What kind of assessment do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    Yes that could be it, I could be so stressed about the exams that I can't revise for them - kind of a vicious circle. Thanks for the advice it's really really helpful I'll be sure to try some of these.
    Yeah,, that sounds likely. Glad you find these suggestions helpful! It really does sound like you're stressed. If you can destress in the ways you can I'm sure that you'll find your revision more approachable! One of the hard things about stress is that when you're stressed it's difficult to even realise it (it took me ages to realise what stress was!).
    Happy relaxing

ReputationRep:
    Actually I just got glasses last month, maybe I should start wearing them haha. Yes I should definitely be getting more sleep that's something I could do easily. What kind of assessment do you mean?
    To see if you have any dyslexic or dyspraxic tendencies it attention disorders. Thee are many learning issues that can be supported. Do not think that just because you have good grades you can't have one of these. My daughter had her assessment in Year 9 when she found she couldn't get everything down on paper that she had in her head. She has a lower processing speed and is slightly dyspraxic and now gets extra time. It paid off with exemplary GCSE grades and AS and she now has an Oxford place. Do not be afraid just to go and have a chat, school is there to support you. i am a teacher and parent of a Year 13,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Des_Lumières)
    - exercise
    - a balanced diet
    - fresh air
    - company
    This is top notch advise, I also can't stress the importance of staying hydrated also. With all that caffeinated beverages we use to help us study it also dehydrates us. Make sure you are drinking 2-3L of water a day

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm. Do you find the subjects your studying boring? You could try to make them more interesting and fun to learn. I know not such an easy task. You could draw mind maps to help you revise. Maybe having a calendar with the deadline largely circled Would help get your mind to focus. Theres not long for exams. Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    definitely make sure your lifestyle is good, sleep, diet, exercise (this will help with stress and burn off any excess energy)

I second working in bursts, I used to go to the library for 6-8 hours at a time and I'd say I have good concentration levels but I still never did more than 30 minutes without a break, when you have a break do something to really get yourself away, go for a walk or chat to a friend (about something else!) don't mindlessly watch TV or scroll FB

make sure you're using good methods of revising, I could never listen to information and take it in well, I also can't just read and take stuff in, I need to engage with it, so either making notes, prompt cards, mind maps etc and not copying stuff but actually summarizing

I am in the same boat too so, I know how you feel.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.