Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After applying for psychology for 2015 entry I changed my mind an decided to take a gap year while I decided what I wanted to do, Ive now applied for Law and got an unconditional offer from Chester with BCD in Psychology, Maths and Spanish, my predicted grades were ABB though so I had my hopes up for higher level universities an wanted either Lancaster or Sheffield, I was unwell at the time of exams but I dont think that will make much of a difference if I get a doctors note an send it to either of these Unis? Ive been in touch with my old college an they said ive got until the 11th of March to decide whether to resit, I would have to do about 4/5 exams again so dont know whether to accept Chester an transfer after the first year or resit an try an get in through clearing?? HELP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erb1997)
    After applying for psychology for 2015 entry I changed my mind an decided to take a gap year while I decided what I wanted to do, Ive now applied for Law and got an unconditional offer from Chester with BCD in Psychology, Maths and Spanish, my predicted grades were ABB though so I had my hopes up for higher level universities an wanted either Lancaster or Sheffield, I was unwell at the time of exams but I dont think that will make much of a difference if I get a doctors note an send it to either of these Unis? Ive been in touch with my old college an they said ive got until the 11th of March to decide whether to resit, I would have to do about 4/5 exams again so dont know whether to accept Chester an transfer after the first year or resit an try an get in through clearing?? HELP!
    Personally i would resit,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahsenrauf)
    Personally i would resit,
    The only bad thing about resitting would be how late ive left it especially seeing as I havent spoke a word of spanish since last june an thats what the D was in

ReputationRep:
    Yup, some law firms look at Alevel grades so the higher the better. But you're right, it is quite late...

ReputationRep:
    Your post is a little confusing. Have you applied this year with predicted grades? If so, this must be because you put that you were resitting your exams. If you don't resit those exams, even your unconditional offer from Chester is at risk because offers are made on the basis that you will do what you say you are doing in your application and to drop out makes it legal for the universities to withdraw your offer on the grounds that you have changed the terms of the contract without their agreement.

If you did not put that you were resitting, and you are applying with final grades of BCD with no expectation of improvement, then you will not be admitted to Lancaster or Sheffield in the second year, since transfers usually require you to match the admission criteria to be made an offer in the first place. Understandably, universities are wise to the idea of students getting in through the back door when they wouldn't have been allowed in the front.

The new syllabus changes mean that you have very few opportunities left to resit the old A levels, so it is pretty much now or never. If you have the money and the motivation, then do it now. It would be a massive task to retake under the new exams when you haven't done any part of them already. Any claim for mitigating circumstances should have been made at the time. Even then you would have been allowed only 5% tolerance at the maximum, and you won't be allowed anything now.

All things considered, I'd take your unconditional at Chester.

ReputationRep:
    The only bad thing about resitting would be how late ive left it especially seeing as I havent spoke a word of spanish since last june an thats what the D was in
    I still think you should resit. You can always practice a lot. Doulingo is a great language learning resource. If you're content with Chester then its fine but it would benefit you tremendously to go for a higher university. It's a risk you should take considering the benefits of those universities in terms of job prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shumaya)
    Yup, some law firms look at Alevel grades so the higher the better. But you're right, it is quite late...
    I think my college would help loads though if I did decide to, do you know if I can accept the place at chester then go through clearing/adjustment if I get better grades or would I have to stick with chester?

ReputationRep:
    I think my college would help loads though if I did decide to, do you know if I can accept the place at chester then go through clearing/adjustment if I get better grades or would I have to stick with chester?
    No, you are ineligible for adjustment if you have an unconditional offer, because there are no conditions for you to exceed. You can ask you be put into clearing, but it takes time and other places may have gone.

ReputationRep:
    I THINK you'd have to stick with it. Adjustment is for people who've exceeded the conditions of their offers, and your offer has no conditions. Clearing is for people who've failed to meet their firm and insurance offers, and you can't fail to meet an unconditional offer.

You can ask Chester to release you on results day but I'm not sure if that would then make you eligible for clearing and/or adjustment.

Edit: It took me all those lines to say what Carnationlilyrose said in two sentences smh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Your post is a little confusing. Have you applied this year with predicted grades? If so, this must be because you put that you were resitting your exams. If you don't resit those exams, even your unconditional offer from Chester is at risk because offers are made on the basis that you will do what you say you are doing in your application and to drop out makes it legal for the universities to withdraw your offer on the grounds that you have changed the terms of the contract without their agreement.

If you did not put that you were resitting, and you are applying with final grades of BCD with no expectation of improvement, then you will not be admitted to Lancaster or Sheffield in the second year, since transfers usually require you to match the admission criteria to be made an offer in the first place. Understandably, universities are wise to the idea of students getting in through the back door when they wouldn't have been allowed in the front.

The new syllabus changes mean that you have very few opportunities left to resit the old A levels, so it is pretty much now or never. If you have the money and the motivation, then do it now. It would be a massive task to retake under the new exams when you haven't done any part of them already. Any claim for mitigating circumstances should have been made at the time. Even then you would have been allowed only 5% tolerance at the maximum, and you won't be allowed anything now.

All things considered, I'd take your unconditional at Chester.
    No I applied saying I wasnt going to resit so my unconditional will still stand. And I only recently found out the reason why I was ill which is why I didnt mention it at the time, Ive heard of a lot of people transferring the second year with the credits theyve earned in the first year so was just considering that as an option, ive just got to decide whether resitting 4/5 exams with only a few months to revise would be worth my time or whether to just go for chester

ReputationRep:
    No I applied saying I wasnt going to resit so my unconditional will still stand. And I only recently found out the reason why I was ill which is why I didnt mention it at the time, Ive heard of a lot of people transferring the second year with the credits theyve earned in the first year so was just considering that as an option, ive just got to decide whether resitting 4/5 exams with only a few months to revise would be worth my time or whether to just go for chester
    Well, I'd take Chester, personally.

ReputationRep:
    Resit. You'll be getting no where in the legal profession with Chester on your cv. You've only got 4/5 exams, and you still have a while. Don't forget when you did them before you probably had 9/10exams to study for. Also this time it will be easier as you've already covered the content you just need to refresh yourself. Deffo resit. You'd be foolish not to

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hiya I retook my A2 as well so if you have any questions feel free to message me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.