Turn on thread page Beta

Hello people
    i thought that would get your attention
    is anyone doing BiOCHEMISTRY at university?
    If so what are the career prospects like for the course ?
    How much could one expect to earn once they graduated based on average salaries at the moment?
    What are the different types of jobs available to Biochemists ?
    Is There any page i can find more about different types of careers?

Thanks in Advance to those who reply to my questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cool Dude)
    Hello people
    How much could one expect to earn once they graduated based on average salaries at the moment?

LOL, very clever.

Hello people

I would have replied with all that info you wanted if you hadn't had a misleading and stupid title, so now i'm not going to answer :P

I knew it was a joke.....yet still hoped it was true

ReputationRep:
    Hello people

that wasnt very nice and i dont know anything on bio chemistry!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Biochemistry can lead to loads of things - lots of jobs in food industry, or the pharmaceutical (sorry can';t spell it) industry. Its a good general degree to have but i don't know where you can find any decent info i'm afraid!!!

ReputationRep:
    :eek: LOL!!

Hello people

I'm hopefully going to be doing Biochemistry at Oxford from October, but my 2nd choice is Imperial.

The career prospects depend on whether you want a scientific career, or are just using biochem as a degree. Personally i reckon i'm the second option (but i'm not sure). That means i'll either do a PhD/business degree/medical degree fast track after my initial degree. Having said that I may just stick to the single degree and follow science if I end up finding it that interested. This could be in a cancer reasearch centre or in a company like GSK or Vernalis.

It really depends what you want to do.

As far as salaries go you can earn anything you like so long as you're dedicated (this goes for any degree), i suggest you look in New Scientist at the job section at the back which gives a good indication of the salaries biochem graduates can expect, it's usually around 18-28k.

As far as webpages go, I've never bothered looking!

Some advice though, only apply for biochem if you are VERY good at chem. Also look into courses extremely carefully, Imperial's course is the best, it has so many options it's unreal. OXford's is very academic and chemistry orientated. I wouldn't apply to Cambridge if you want to be a biochemist, the Natural sciences degree is far to broad based for my liking, and Oxford's facilities are the best in Europe for Biochem, with 6/7 buildings dedicated to it.

Hope that helped!

b x

It did Thanx...but i dont understand WHY you said you need to be VERY good at Chemsitry and placed the emphasis on that word in particualr..well most universities seem to want you to have a B in Alevel chem...so mayb your rite.
    Although i looked at the course units for Manchester and Most seemed to have involved Biology units in the first year which i studied at Alevel so im a bit baffed....plz explain...

(Original post by Unregistered)
    I'm hopefully going to be doing Biochemistry at Oxford from October, but my 2nd choice is Imperial.

The career prospects depend on whether you want a scientific career, or are just using biochem as a degree. Personally i reckon i'm the second option (but i'm not sure). That means i'll either do a PhD/business degree/medical degree fast track after my initial degree. Having said that I may just stick to the single degree and follow science if I end up finding it that interested. This could be in a cancer reasearch centre or in a company like GSK or Vernalis.

It really depends what you want to do.

As far as salaries go you can earn anything you like so long as you're dedicated (this goes for any degree), i suggest you look in New Scientist at the job section at the back which gives a good indication of the salaries biochem graduates can expect, it's usually around 18-28k.

As far as webpages go, I've never bothered looking!

Some advice though, only apply for biochem if you are VERY good at chem. Also look into courses extremely carefully, Imperial's course is the best, it has so many options it's unreal. OXford's is very academic and chemistry orientated. I wouldn't apply to Cambridge if you want to be a biochemist, the Natural sciences degree is far to broad based for my liking, and Oxford's facilities are the best in Europe for Biochem, with 6/7 buildings dedicated to it.

Hope that helped!

b x

I thought that would get your attention
    You cruel, cruel person.. lol

ReputationRep:
    My heart skipped a beat when I read that title!

Well, it's possible. All someone would have to do is, hack into their university's database and find a file titled results03.xls

In fact, I might devise a way of doing that tonight - right after I get into Expression's account and delete the forum.

It did Thanx...but i dont understand WHY you said you need to be VERY good at Chemsitry and placed the emphasis on that word in particualr..well most universities seem to want you to have a B in Alevel chem...so mayb your rite.
    Although i looked at the course units for Manchester and Most seemed to have involved Biology units in the first year which i studied at Alevel so im a bit baffed....plz explain...
    oh whoops, sorry, it totally depends where you apply, it's just the Ox course is very chemistry and so is Imperials, both insist on an A in chem. Warwicks was more bio concerned. Just look carefully at the course description, and the units involved (which it looks like you're already doing!). You're applying for 2004 entry i take it then?

as far as i'm aware if the course is chem orientated then you'll be doing a lot of work on protein structure, glyco's etc, whereas if it's bio orientated you'll be learning that 'that particular molecule' attaches to 'that membrane'. personally i was more interested in structures etc, and have always loved chem (but i love bio too...hence biochem!).

What A-levels you doing? I did bio, chem, phys and maths, which the uni's seemed to really like (got accepted to all my 6!)

b x

oh whoops, sorry, it totally depends where you apply, it's just the Ox course is very chemistry and so is Imperials, both insist on an A in chem. Warwicks was more bio concerned. Just look carefully at the course description, and the units involved (which it looks like you're already doing!). You're applying for 2004 entry i take it then?

as far as i'm aware if the course is chem orientated then you'll be doing a lot of work on protein structure, glyco's etc, whereas if it's bio orientated you'll be learning that 'that particular molecule' attaches to 'that membrane'. personally i was more interested in structures etc, and have always loved chem (but i love bio too...hence biochem!).

What A-levels you doing? I did bio, chem, phys and maths, which the uni's seemed to really like (got accepted to all my 6!)

b x

wow...RESPECT B
    for those Alevel Subjects.....Do you USE MSN B?
    I would like to talk to you on MSN if thats ok with you....

wow...RESPECT B
    for those Alevel Subjects.....Do you USE MSN B?
    I would like to talk to you on MSN if thats ok with you....
    yep I use MSN...would be happy to talk to you apart from I don't like the idea of posting my E-Mail on a public forum...Any ideas?

b x

yep I use MSN...would be happy to talk to you apart from I don't like the idea of posting my E-Mail on a public forum...Any ideas?

b x
    [email protected]

add me then

U've got me curious! what was the original title?!

btw, i'm also doing biochem at uni! nice 2 finally find some other people taking the course!

U've got me curious! what was the original title?!

btw, i'm also doing biochem at uni! nice 2 finally find some other people taking the course!

results in this link...........they changed the title...it was misleading

ReputationRep:
    Helllllllllllllo

Im doing BiOCEHMISSTRY @ KiNGS!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone else ?

i applied to kings

but ive been put on hold :'(

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.