Turn on thread page Beta

Do I Have Any Hope? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am almost done with my DPLP.

I have a lot of work experience (shadowing, work experience and internship with commercial firm), good extra curriculars, a solid 2:1 (although with some pretty shocking 1st/2nd year results) at undergrad, however, I have no training contract.

I have applied to commercial firms this year for vacation schemes in the hope that they will take me on for a training contract, but I feel like I may have set my sights too high. I'm now running the risk of not even getting into a summer scheme this year, setting me back even further!

Is there anyone else who has been in my position and has come out on top? I feel like I'm never going to get anywhere and I've no chance of getting into a good training contract following my DPLP. This means it will have been a massive waste of time AND money!

ReputationRep:
    Don't panic and keep trying. You haven't said what your A levels/highers are like.

Is that having an effect? Do you meet the academic criteria of the firm's you are applying to?

If you do, then have a look at your experience. You have shadowing and law experience. Do you have pro bono? Do you have teamwork? Do you have positions of responsibility? Do you come over as a well rounded and driven individual?

Look at your apps, so you answer the questions asked? Do you research and tailor each application? Do you show clearly why law? Why that firm?
    U guess is you need to regroup, get as much input as you can from careers and your tutors and look to strengthen your apps.

Have a look at some of the profiles of trainees at your target firms. Do they look committed and driven with varied backgrounds, a real mix of work experience and achievements combined with excellent academics? I bet they do.

So these people, or people very like them, are who you are up against.

Being a trainee at a commercial law firm will be demanding in many ways .although I'm sure it will also be fun and rewarding.

The law firms need to have a very good idea that the people they take on have got sufficient determination and equilibrium to manage.

Essentially you can't just walk into these things.

But that's OK now you know that.

Just redouble your efforts and you will start to get better and see results next recruitment cycle.

If you are in a position to, when you finish your (Scottish law course whose name I have forgotten) go get a job.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why does everyone go crazy over the word 'commercial'? Every man and his dog wants to work in 'commercial'. Bloody annoying.

Do you mean you want to work in a firm with an office based in a big city? - this is probably what you mean by 'commercial'.

ReputationRep:
    It's a good point Jasy. All law firms are commercial of course. The word seems to have arisen as shorthand for wanting to work at bigger law firms who are city based and attracting corporate clients in the main, rather than high street, boutique or niche law firms.

Further than this, I think student use of the word commercial is also a shorthand for 'earn big bucks with high rollin law firm!'

I think the legal landscape is in fact a wider, far more varied and diverse place than perhaps it would appear!

Yours commercially. A Trainee

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.