Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all - is PWM really a career blackhole as some people describe it? Even at places like GS or JPM?

Would really appreciate some insights as to whether it is something worth pursuing (as I have an internship lined up) or should I apply to somewhere else after doing the internship this summer.

ReputationRep:
    what are you aims?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by s200200300)
    Hi all - is PWM really a career blackhole as some people describe it? Even at places like GS or JPM?

Would really appreciate some insights as to whether it is something worth pursuing (as I have an internship lined up) or should I apply to somewhere else after doing the internship this summer.
    Definitely! Why are you having second thoughts?

PWM is a great place to be if you're wanting a more sales-y career related to the markets but not dealing with institutions. If you're good and you build up a decent book of clients you'll be able to make a solid amount p.a.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I do not aspire to try to jump from PWM into a hedgefund or a private equity - but what bothers me is this: (i) you don't get good training and gain good finance skills by working in PWM (is that true even for GS?); (ii) the failure rate of PWM is high and most people don't make it (so what do they do afterwards?).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by s200200300)
    Thanks! I do not aspire to try to jump from PWM into a hedgefund or a private equity - but what bothers me is this: (i) you don't get good training and gain good finance skills by working in PWM (is that true even for GS?); (ii) the failure rate of PWM is high and most people don't make it (so what do they do afterwards?).
    1. Not true. Most of what you learn in a PWM role will be through 'apprenticeship' of being under the wing of senior bankers.

2. The same can be said for any top career. They probably switch gears into: family offices, sales, get an MBA etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.