Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there an easy way to go about drawing diagrams for these relative motion questions?

I can never seem to get them right and end up calculating wrong angles and velocities. Especially Question 8 and Question 10 in the scan below.

Name:  Relative Motion Diagram Questions.jpeg
Views: 122
Size:  129.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    Just tagging some folks:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euclidean)
    Is there an easy way to go about drawing diagrams for these relative motion questions?

I can never seem to get them right and end up calculating wrong angles and velocities. Especially Question 8 and Question 10 in the scan below.

Name:  Relative Motion Diagram Questions.jpeg
Views: 122
Size:  129.2 KB
    I pass as I am very busy at present but I would suggest to look at similar questions in my example book
    http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/ma...ive_motion.pdf

The earliest I can help is Monday (I am working solid this weekend)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I pass as I am very busy at present but I would suggest to look at similar questions in my example book
    http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/ma...ive_motion.pdf

The earliest I can help is Monday (I am working solid this weekend)
    Brilliant, thank you very much!

Your solutions will be very helpful from that booklet

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant, thank you very much!

Your solutions will be very helpful from that booklet
    at first glance of your questions there are 3 or 4 of very similar style
    All the best!

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 508513508515
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    at first glance of your questions there are 3 or 4 of very similar style
    All the best!
    I was able to solve the first 5/6 questions from your booklet with no problem. I intend to do the majority of them next week.

I am still stuck on question 10 from the initial post. It's a question from the old Heinemann textbook. I've attached a picture of the question and my shoddy diagram.

Would you be able to give me a clue or tell me whether my diagram is wrong if you get the time?

Edit: There's a mistake on my diagram, the last equality the sine term should be positive

Name:  Relative Motion Diagram Questions 1.jpeg
Views: 128
Size:  249.3 KB
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 508513508515

I was able to solve the first 5/6 questions from your booklet with no problem. I intend to do the majority of them next week.

I am still stuck on question 10 from the initial post. It's a question from the old Heinemann textbook. I've attached a picture of the question and my shoddy diagram.

Would you be able to give me a clue or tell me whether my diagram is wrong if you get the time?

Edit: There's a mistake on my diagram, the last equality the sine term should be positive

I can look at it tomorrow as I am teaching all day today

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 508513508515

The actual velocity of the wind is obtained by adding the velocity of the observer to the apparent velocity of the wind. Looking at it that way, your arrows aren't working. The arrows of the observer's velocity and the apparent wind velocity should follow each other round, with the actual wind velocity arrow being the resultant.

Having got that right, you have to fiddle around with the lengths of the sides of the triangles to make the direction of the actual wind velocity go in approx the same direction. I managed it by having the apparent wind velocity being quite large compared with the observer's velocity.

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 508513508515

My diagram is attached, with the two triangles stuck together.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc wind triangle 2.doc (41.5 KB, 48 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    My diagram is attached, with the two triangles stuck together.
    Apologies for the slow response:

I finally solved the question going off of your diagram. Do you have any tips to help draw the diagrams?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for the slow response:

I finally solved the question going off of your diagram. Do you have any tips to help draw the diagrams?

Many thanks
    Nothing very concrete. On the apparent wind questions, I usually find myself drawing the separate triangles several times, varying the unknown lengths, until I can make the actual wind arrow go in the same direction on both triangles. Then I stick the two triangles together and the geometry of the thing becomes clear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    Nothing very concrete. On the apparent wind questions, I usually find myself drawing the separate triangles several times, varying the unknown lengths, until I can make the actual wind arrow go in the same direction on both triangles. Then I stick the two triangles together and the geometry of the thing becomes clear.
    Thanks for all the help

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.