Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the novel a thing of the past Watch

ReputationRep:
    to be replaced by videogames?

Que piensas?

I feel that videogames can fill the hole in your life when you're at home, sitting down, and music is for walking around. Where does this leave the novel?

HMMMMM

ReputationRep:
    hm some debate here interesting points

ReputationRep:
    Hm, I think I'll weigh in on this 'debate' here

I enjoy both games and novels (not at the same time, mind you). I appreciate video games as a form of story telling that's interactive and engaging, and it tends to be preferable for some, especially those who struggle with reading, or have short attention spans. I personally find well written novels to be quite engaging too, but I can understand how they aren't to some. Thing is, there are some stories that wouldn't work as games. Some books don't really have enough action in them to work as a game, and either they wouldn't be interesting to play, or developers would cram in out-of-place action that would ruin the story-telling somewhat.

If you ask me, although a lot of people would prefer games to books, I don't think the two are in 'competition', as such. They both serve the same purpose, to tell a story and to entertain, but they do it in different ways, and there's always going to be some people who prefer one method over the other. Games are highly interactive, colourful, can be multiplayer, etc, but books can be produced much faster (considering how many people it takes to make a game). I spend probably about the same amount of money on books as I do on games, and quite possibly spend the same amount of time on either, too.

(Original post by samharrison)
    to be replaced by videogames?

Que piensas?

I feel that videogames can fill the hole in your life when you're at home, sitting down, and music is for walking around. Where does this leave the novel?

HMMMMM
    A book is so much more than you think.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully not.

Can't beat a book in the following situations

On the toilet
    On a train/bus
    On the beach
    By the pool

ReputationRep:
    Ok so heres my 2 cents: WARNING heavy rhyme incoming!!
    Videogames, my parents find them lame, they think society's to blame, for lower attention length and fast paced frames, personally I enjoy them from time to time, they are kind with enjoyable grind (not club twerking, the term of progress through games) but a book is sometimes more, even with flaws, reading Eragon at thirteen, the story was so clean, especially Galbatorix was conveyed so immersively mean, every page turn I was so keen, the pictures depicted were so immerse, the writing was worth, every penny of my purse (wallet actually but it doesnt rhyme xD), I loved the story, the feel was so real it was unreal, I wouldn't even eat meals to read about the plot which was exquisite, about the unfair ruling of soldiers which was illicit or the amazingly written fight scenes albeit explicit. What Im trying to say is although video games go on for days, a book makes you think more about ways, ways to dance, ways to release rants, and ways for romance especially thinking about gentle cuddling when we should right now all be studying

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.