The Student Room Group

Upcoming GCSE's

(edited 8 years ago)
Revision is subjective, everyone revises differently. However, it is scientifically proven that testing yourself (flash cards, mind maps) is 97% effective when recalling information. Personally, I do a few things. I have a revision wall full of mindmaps, I feel mindmaps help me the least but they make me understand the underlying concepts of whatever it is so that helps me learn them. Flash cards is a huge one for me I have hundreds of those - question on one side, answer on the other. I re-write the revision guides in my own words (and for subjects such as maths I use an example to help me understand) Past papers is a big one, your teacher should have a site called TES where they're able to pull up every question ever to exist about a certain topic, it really helps me out especially in science because I ask my teacher to put it on SMHW and then I can do every question, and there's only so much on your specification you can be asked so once you've done everything there, you've pretty much done them all. For some subjects I record myself explaining something and playing it back, this way when you're teaching someone (yourself) outloud you HAVE to understand it and you HAVE to know what you're talking about. My friends and I closer to the exam are planning on meeting up to revise, because if you're having a good time while doing it you're more likely to remember what you were learning that way rather than dunged up in the same old room revising. Speaking of that - try and switch up where you revise, but make sure it's somewhere where you will have space and quiet. Also, remember if you're feeling stressed while revising you're not going to recall any information and it's just a waste of your time. Instead, take a break and refresh yourself for another revision session.

Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by caitlinford3
Revision is subjective, everyone revises differently. However, it is scientifically proven that testing yourself (flash cards, mind maps) is 97% effective when recalling information. Personally, I do a few things. I have a revision wall full of mindmaps, I feel mindmaps help me the least but they make me understand the underlying concepts of whatever it is so that helps me learn them. Flash cards is a huge one for me I have hundreds of those - question on one side, answer on the other. I re-write the revision guides in my own words (and for subjects such as maths I use an example to help me understand) Past papers is a big one, your teacher should have a site called TES where they're able to pull up every question ever to exist about a certain topic, it really helps me out especially in science because I ask my teacher to put it on SMHW and then I can do every question, and there's only so much on your specification you can be asked so once you've done everything there, you've pretty much done them all. For some subjects I record myself explaining something and playing it back, this way when you're teaching someone (yourself) outloud you HAVE to understand it and you HAVE to know what you're talking about. My friends and I closer to the exam are planning on meeting up to revise, because if you're having a good time while doing it you're more likely to remember what you were learning that way rather than dunged up in the same old room revising. Speaking of that - try and switch up where you revise, but make sure it's somewhere where you will have space and quiet. Also, remember if you're feeling stressed while revising you're not going to recall any information and it's just a waste of your time. Instead, take a break and refresh yourself for another revision session.

Hope this helped :smile:

Thank you very much! I always thought that mind maps were kind of pointless, because there's only so much you can write for one topic, but for the sole purpose of being able to refresh my mind about a topic, it seems that mind maps may be useful.
Also, I create revision cards at the moment, but I only write down the context. I'm going to take your advice and start making separate cards for questions and answers.
I already record myself speaking in my german subjects, and that has proved effective as I've gotten both A*'s in my writing and speaking courseworks. After our recent mocks, I've seen that the German exam papers are actually easier than they seem - you only ever need to write answers in English, and tick a few boxes.

Again, thanks for the help
Original post by 1rs
Thank you very much! I always thought that mind maps were kind of pointless, because there's only so much you can write for one topic, but for the sole purpose of being able to refresh my mind about a topic, it seems that mind maps may be useful.
Also, I create revision cards at the moment, but I only write down the context. I'm going to take your advice and start making separate cards for questions and answers.
I already record myself speaking in my german subjects, and that has proved effective as I've gotten both A*'s in my writing and speaking courseworks. After our recent mocks, I've seen that the German exam papers are actually easier than they seem - you only ever need to write answers in English, and tick a few boxes.

Again, thanks for the help

Yeah all language papers seem to be getting easier, AQA French used to write the answers in French but now it's all in English. Well done on your German coursework :smile: Glad I could help

Quick Reply

Latest