Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    Hopefully you don't! I wasn't very confident after Unit 4, just because I didn't find it as easy as everyone else claimed. But after Unit 5, I feel slightly more confident*
    I should be in good stead for a solid Unit 4 (115+ hopefully) and ISA score, it's unit 5 which might drag me down a little. Anyway, probably not worth thinking about too much until August

We'll be okay

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I think I got 65/75 in unit 4 and about 65/75 in unit 5. Could you give me a rough estimate for the UMS marks please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student_2357)
    Hi guys, I think I got 65/75 in unit 4 and about 65/75 in unit 5. Could you give me a rough estimate for the UMS marks please.
    Unit 4: 120/120
    Unit 5: Depends what option you did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marioman)
    I did Astro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student_2357)
    I did Astro
    About 114/120 I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think UMS caps will be for PHYA4 and PHYA5 with astro?

And do you think ISA boundaries might drop a little?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadherin)
    What do you think UMS caps will be for PHYA4 and PHYA5 with astro?

And do you think ISA boundaries might drop a little?
    For PHYA4, maybe 64 or 65. For PHYA5 (Astro), 68 or so.

Can't comment on the ISA boundaries, I did the EMPA instead.

ReputationRep:
    For PHYA4, maybe 64 or 65. For PHYA5 (Astro), 68 or so.

Can't comment on the ISA boundaries, I did the EMPA instead.
    Do you really think Unit 5 boundaries will be that high? In June 2015, the full UMS cap for PHA5A was 68, but that paper was far easier..no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    Do you really think Unit 5 boundaries will be that high? In June 2015, the full UMS cap for PHA5A was 68, but that paper was far easier..no?
    I wouldn't say far easier - I think full UMS for both will be around 65 personally, with some small variation for PHYA5 option.

Yes, last year's PHYA5 paper was piss easy, this year's paper was fairly moderate.

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think the PHYA5 + Turning points A* boundary will be? 54/75?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kelvin1338)
    What do you guys think the PHYA5 + Turning points A* boundary will be? 54/75?
    About 58-60

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You guys probably won't remember this, but if you did the EMPA, do you happen to know whether the electric field strength was increasing or decreasing in that one question? I put it was increasing because the gradient of the graph was increasing (it was sloping downward) but many people said it was decreasing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    You guys probably won't remember this, but if you did the EMPA, do you happen to know whether the electric field strength was increasing or decreasing in that one question? I put it was increasing because the gradient of the graph was increasing (it was sloping downward) but many people said it was decreasing.
    Yeah it was increasing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesignPredator)
    Yeah it was increasing
    Would there happen to be an unofficial mark scheme for the EMPA, btw? Or at least a list of the questions on there? (The written paper)

ReputationRep:
    I've got a list of the EMPA questions in rough note form, I'm out at the moment but when I'm home I'll post it.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a list of the EMPA questions in rough note form, I'm out at the moment but when I'm home I'll post it.
    Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    AQA A2 Physics EMPA, June 2016

Section A Task 1 (16 marks)
    Part 1 - Electric field
    Record the voltmeter readings when the contact is placed at certain points along the paper. (1 mark)
    Plot a graph of voltmeter reading against distance. (2 marks)
    State the direction of the electric field. (1 mark)
    State and explain how the electric field strength changes with distance. (2 marks)

Part 2 - Capacitor discharge
    Record the discharge times at different points along the paper. (1 mark)
    Evaluate \dfrac{T_{100}}{T_{200}}. (1 mark)
    Explain how the calculated value for \dfrac{T_{100}}{T_{200}} can be verified from the graph plotted in Question 1. (4 marks)
    The terminals on the paper are now reversed. Sketch the voltmeter reading against distance graph in this case. (2 marks)
    Explain what would happen to the value of \dfrac{T_{100}}{T_{200}} in this case. (2 marks)

Section A Task 2 (15 marks)
    Explain how you ensured that the ruler was vertical. (2 marks)
    Table of results. (4 marks)
    Graph. (9 marks)

Section B (24 marks)
    Question 1 - Section A Task 2 Analysis
    Calculate the gradient of the graph. (4 marks)
    Explain the effect (if any) on the graph when using a longer pendulum. (2 marks)
    Explain the effect (if any) on the graph if the ruler was reversed. (2 marks)

Question 2 - Mass-spring system and forced oscillations
    Explain why the fiducial mark was placed in the shown position. (1 mark)
    Calculate the percentage uncertainty in a set of data. (3 marks)
    Calculate the natural frequency of the system, using the supplied data. (1 mark)
    Add a scale to the horizontal axes. (1 mark)
    State the amplitude at the marked point A. (1 mark)
    Explain how the student obtained an accurate shape for the graph around its maximum point. (2 marks)
    Sketch the graph that would be produced by repeating the experiment using two springs in series. (2 marks)

Question 3 - Experimental skills in an unfamiliar context
    Explain why vernier callipers are unsuitable for measuring the width of a stream of water. (1 mark)
    Calculate the value of the integer n. (2 mark)
    Explain how the value of s could be calculated. (1 mark)
    Find the units of s. (1 mark)

Maximum mark: 55

ReputationRep:
    AQA A2 Physics EMPA, June 2016

Section A Task 1 (16 marks)
    Part 1 - Electric field
    Record the voltmeter readings when the contact is placed at certain points along the paper. (1 mark)
    Plot a graph of voltmeter reading against distance. (2 marks)
    State the direction of the electric field. (1 mark)
    State and explain how the electric field strength changes with distance. (2 marks)

Part 2 - Capacitor discharge
    Record the discharge times at different points along the paper. (1 mark)
    Evaluate \dfrac{T_{100}}{T_{200}}. (1 mark)
    Explain how the calculated value for \dfrac{T_{100}}{T_{200}} can be verified from the graph plotted in Question 1. (4 marks)
    The terminals on the paper are now reversed. Sketch the voltmeter reading against distance graph in this case. (2 marks)
    Explain what would happen to the value of \dfrac{T_{100}}{T_{200}} in this case. (2 marks)

Section A Task 2 (15 marks)
    Explain how you ensured that the ruler was vertical. (2 marks)
    Table of results. (4 marks)
    Graph. (9 marks)

Section B (24 marks)
    Question 1 - Section A Task 2 Analysis
    Calculate the gradient of the graph. (4 marks)
    Explain the effect (if any) on the graph when using a longer pendulum. (2 marks)
    Explain the effect (if any) on the graph if the ruler was reversed. (2 marks)

Question 2 - Mass-spring system and forced oscillations
    Explain why the fiducial mark was placed in the shown position. (1 mark)
    Calculate the percentage uncertainty in a set of data. (3 marks)
    Calculate the natural frequency of the system, using the supplied data. (1 mark)
    Add a scale to the horizontal axes. (1 mark)
    State the amplitude at the marked point A. (1 mark)
    Explain how the student obtained an accurate shape for the graph around its maximum point. (2 marks)
    Sketch the graph that would be produced by repeating the experiment using two springs in series. (2 marks)

Question 3 - Experimental skills in an unfamiliar context
    Explain why vernier callipers are unsuitable for measuring the width of a stream of water. (1 mark)
    Calculate the value of the integer n. (2 mark)
    Explain how the value of s could be calculated. (1 mark)
    Find the units of s. (1 mark)

Maximum mark: 55
    PRSOM, thank you SO much!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    How many UMS marks would 40/55 be for the EMPA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How many marks do you guys think 43/50 will be in the ISA? It was the one about the pendulum SHM

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.