Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philo-jitsu)
    damn they are just what I need...I dont want to prioritise unit 5 until after next friday as Ive got loads of exams coming up, but these will keep them fresh in mind...awesome cheers dude
    No worries, I plan on doing all the turning points exercises on physicsandmathstutor.com , all the turning point papers from the old spec, and also the current turning point papers and add the questions on to it. Do tell me if I've made a mistake here or there

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any good revision materials or anything for Flux and Flux linkage etc because I honestly don't remember learning about any of it and i can't find any notes :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McDerdactyl)
    Does anyone have any good revision materials or anything for Flux and Flux linkage etc because I honestly don't remember learning about any of it and i can't find any notes :/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc8V...9A5B7&index=18

This guy is awesome

Ive just gone through these thoroughly this morning and I finally get it (i think)..

If you come across something that doesnt just click ask me and I will try to explain as it will help me revise by explaining it! :-)

I still need help with the final part of the second video on it.....deriving the BANwsinwt=EMF is a struggle as Im all magnetised out...think ill give it another go later...theres only so much magnets I can take!!

ReputationRep:
    Is the technetium generator on the spec?

There is quite a bit on it in the textbook but I have not heard of it before.

ReputationRep:
    No, it was a truck traveling along a road, eventually reaching terminal velocity as it had a constant driving force, it showed a graph for it....

Then it said the same truck with the same driving force drives along the same road, but it has a leak, and water leaks constantly which constantly reduces its mass....while not the worst question, during exam stress there were many ways to **** it up.

For starters while the mass loss didnt affect the friction from air, its did affect friction due to reducing normal force from the road, so yeah there were just alot of variables lol

prepare for the worst guys honestly, as theres a new spec they can throw all there hardest questions on these...

I think my biggest mistake was going into the exam with the confidence of getting almost full ums on every past paper, then because it was harder than normal it wrecked me.
    Yhhh same. I was getting 110 plus, i dont think I'll even hit 90 even if the grade boundaires are low!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Music With Rocks)
    Is the technetium generator on the spec?

There is quite a bit on it in the textbook but I have not heard of it before.
    Rings a bell, is it used in medicine for radiation treatment or something?....something rings a bell but cant think of it, defo unit 5 though

ReputationRep:
    Rings a bell, is it used in medicine for radiation treatment or something?....something rings a bell but cant think of it, defo unit 5 though
    Yeah you are right, guess I do need to learn it then.

Oops, forgot I had switched to unit 5 haha

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    So ive spent most of the day revising for this....then even though i was tired i decided to do one of the last 2 papers that i havent done yet

In all the other papers ive been getting A's or higher....just did the 2013 paper and got a ****ing D.....pretty devastated
    ....i am really really hoping this is purely down to tiredness....but its such a huge drop in grade i just dont even know.....frustrated as **** right now

Anyone else ever had this happen to them, where they just inexplicably do terribly on a paper?!

Fuuuuck really annoyed...but i think burrying myself in revision will have the opposite affect...bloody magnetic semicircle dees question ruined me

Then i made the most ridiculous maths errors that i would never make....i multiplied something that was under the varibale....ridiculous....

ReputationRep:
    So ive spent most of the day revising for this....then even though i was tired i decided to do one of the last 2 papers that i havent done yet

In all the other papers ive been getting A's or higher....just did the 2013 paper and got a ****ing D.....pretty devastated
    ....i am really really hoping this is purely down to tiredness....but its such a huge drop in grade i just dont even know.....frustrated as **** right now

Anyone else ever had this happen to them, where they just inexplicably do terribly on a paper?!

Fuuuuck really annoyed...but i think burrying myself in revision will have the opposite affect...bloody magnetic semicircle dees question ruined me

Then i made the most ridiculous maths errors that i would never make....i multiplied something that was under the varibale....ridiculous....
    I don't mark my papers for this exact reason. I try a question, if I can't do it I figure out how to do it based on the mark scheme and reading around the topic more. Once I can get every mark on a paper without fail, that's when I'm done, but it's not like that happens on too many papers (mainly because an A* is an A* regardless of whether it's 90% or 100%)

I digress, but yeah in general I don't mark my papers, and don't tend to sit them in exam conditions, partly because getting into a true exam mindset is really draining.

ReputationRep:
    What paper has everyone scored the highest in? I've done all of them and I've scored the highest in June 2011 and 2012. My lowest was in January 2013, horrible paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MintyMilk;[url="tel:65714785")
    65714785[/url]]I don't mark my papers for this exact reason. I try a question, if I can't do it I figure out how to do it based on the mark scheme and reading around the topic more. Once I can get every mark on a paper without fail, that's when I'm done, but it's not like that happens on too many papers (mainly because an A* is an A* regardless of whether it's 90% or 100%)

I digress, but yeah in general I don't mark my papers, and don't tend to sit them in exam conditions, partly because getting into a true exam mindset is really draining.
    Hmmmm I've heard a lot of people doing this (particularly from grammar schools)... Is this something you were told to do or did you just discover it by yourself?

Also what are you predicted if you don't mind me asking?

Exam conditions are draining, a lot of what you said actually makes perfect sense...may have to rethink my strategy

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm I've heard a lot of people doing this (particularly from grammar schools)... Is this something you were told to do or did you just discover it by yourself?

Also what are you predicted if you don't mind me asking?

Exam conditions are draining, a lot of what you said actually makes perfect sense...may have to rethink my strategy
    I actually go to a fairly low ranked state school (bottom 40% in UK)

We're given predictions but we're told by our teachers that they mean very little, and that they attest to the higher-ups how pointless they are but still are forced to give them.

The actual grades I'm predicted are technically BBB, but I should be getting A*AA (Maths, FM and Physics). Last year I think I was being predicted Bs and Cs by the end but came out with what would have been 4 As if it weren't for the ISA.

I found the method myself once I started doing papers, and mainly chose it because I felt like it was the best trade-off between effort and yield. In general, what with it being a pretty sub-par school, most of the process of how to get above-mediocre grades I've had to figure out myself

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MintyMilk)
    I actually go to a fairly low ranked state school (bottom 40% in UK)

We're given predictions but we're told by our teachers that they mean very little, and that they attest to the higher-ups how pointless they are but still are forced to give them.

The actual grades I'm predicted are technically BBB, but I should be getting A*AA (Maths, FM and Physics). Last year I think I was being predicted Bs and Cs by the end but came out with what would have been 4 As if it weren't for the ISA.

I found the method myself once I started doing papers, and mainly chose it because I felt like it was the best trade-off between effort and yield. In general, what with it being a pretty sub-par school, most of the process of how to get above-mediocre grades I've had to figure out myself

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, yeah I'm in the same boat, the revision tips provided to us are few and far between, and a bit useless. I always do past papers under exam conditions to get a good read of where I am in terms of preparation. Although I should probably only stick to this method when I'm fresh, like I would be in an exam, I think I literally sighed out loud when I got to the 6 marker, which obviously isn't the mind set to be in :-)

Yeah the ISA's are ridiculous, especially if your in a school/college that doesn't cheat lol

Ah well, best find out where I went wrong and then start Biology revision, I really wish I'd have done further maths too rather than biology.

With those A levels are you applying for physics or engineering?

ReputationRep:
    Does everyone have a feeling the multiple choice will be very easy? Like I doubt they're going to bother making so many new questions for us...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by particlestudent)
    Does everyone have a feeling the multiple choice will be very easy? Like I doubt they're going to bother making so many new questions for us...
    1. They need to make it comparable to previous years and if people score too highly the board will suffer.
    2. Questions are rotated each year- this is normal and will almost certainly happen again but this does not mean they will be easier. facility does tend to increase for repeated questions based on reports but not by much- they tend to repeat hard questions.
    3. Did you see last years AS papers? Look at our unit 1 vs any other and tell me they couldn't be bothered to change the questions? It was like a different spec.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Questioner1234)
    1. They need to make it comparable to previous years and if people score too highly the board will suffer.
    2. Questions are rotated each year- this is normal and will almost certainly happen again but this does not mean they will be easier. facility does tend to increase for repeated questions based on reports but not by much- they tend to repeat hard questions.
    3. Did you see last years AS papers? Look at our unit 1 vs any other and tell me they couldn't be bothered to change the questions? It was like a different spec.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why do they suffer if people score highly? I know the questions are rotated each year but I've done all the papers and I have came across a lot of repeated questions, and then there's June 2015 which was out of this world lol.

ReputationRep:
    Why do they suffer if people score highly? I know the questions are rotated each year but I've done all the papers and I have came across a lot of repeated questions, and then there's June 2015 which was out of this world lol.
    If too many people score highly they have to raise the grade boundaries to maintain grade statistics. Given there is a new spec coming in with no comparable past papers of the same spec grade boundaries are likely to fall next year so they may want to make grade boundaries lower this year to smooth the difference.
    This is all just a guess by the way- for all I know we could get the easiest or hardest paper we've ever seen. But it is my opinion that as more past papers and resources become available people tend to score higher so papers appear to be getting harder to smooth grade boundaries
    It's really worth reading examiners reports for multiple choice- it gives a lot of insight into repeated questions. They go into much detail with statistics about facility and you can see that they pay a lot of thought into it.

I just hope we don't get too hard a paper- last years paper the first question(written section) I think was the hardest!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Questioner1234)
    If too many people score highly they have to raise the grade boundaries to maintain grade statistics. Given there is a new spec coming in with no comparable past papers of the same spec grade boundaries are likely to fall next year so they may want to make grade boundaries lower this year to smooth the difference.
    This is all just a guess by the way- for all I know we could get the easiest or hardest paper we've ever seen. But it is my opinion that as more past papers and resources become available people tend to score higher so papers appear to be getting harder to smooth grade boundaries
    It's really worth reading examiners reports for multiple choice- it gives a lot of insight into repeated questions. They go into much detail with statistics about facility and you can see that they pay a lot of thought into it.

I just hope we don't get too hard a paper- last years paper the first question(written section) I think was the hardest!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've been reading the examiners reports for every paper I've done. I only have June 2010 left to do then I'm done. It is quite helpful reading it and makes me remember if they do ever get repeated. Some questions have been repeated like 3 times lol.

Last years is the hardest one I've done by far, June14 and Jan11 multiple choice I found tricky too.

ReputationRep:
    I think they have to air on the side of being too hard than too easy, because if they make it really easy everyone scores very high and the gaps between grades are tiny (raw marks wise) which isnt good as it means people can drop massive amounts of ums just by dropping 2-3 marks, whereas making a paper too difficult cant really have negative consequences as the boundaries can always drop really low to accomodate, whereas if everyone gets almost top marks the range of marks will be less as many people will cap the paper which puts varying abilities in the same bracket which reduces there ability to distinguish between students abilities.

Hope that makes sense! :-)

ReputationRep:
    How did people find june 13, i thought the way they did the capacitor question was difficult, also the charge traveling in a semicircle dee questions were pretty tough comparitively....but for some reason the boundaries were standard.....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.