Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  115.0 KBcould someone explain to me how to answer part (ii) in the question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlie1523)
    Can someone help me with this question: Question 9 http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...1-QP-JAN13.PDF thanks
    There is a formula for it. x(n+1) = yn, where x is the pendulum with the shorter time period. In this case:
    1.90(n+1) = 1.95n
    1.90n + 1.90 = 1.95n
    0.05n = 1.90 therefore n = 1.9÷0.05 = 38 oscillations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yo12345)
    Attachment 553000

Just to clarify. Is no work done when a charge moves perpendicular to a uniform electric field? Is work only done when the charge moves parallel to the field lines?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can someone answer this please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spanisholive)
    There is a formula for it. x(n+1) = yn, where x is the pendulum with the shorter time period. In this case:
    1.90(n+1) = 1.95n
    1.90n + 1.90 = 1.95n
    0.05n = 1.90 therefore n = 1.9÷0.05 = 38 oscillations.
    Thanks Does this formula apply for all situations regardless of the time difference between oscillations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirRaza97)
    Cheers i understand it now thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelstresss)
    Gravitational field strength is a vector quantity, given by g = GM/r2

Make the two field strengths equal and find the distance:

let x be the distance of equal field strength from M

GM/x2 = 4GM/(d-x)2
    4x2 = (d-x)2
    4x2 = d2 -2xd +x2
    3x2 + 2xd - d2 = 0
    d = 1/3, d = -1 (using quadratic formula)

but d > 0, so d = 1/3 only

the distance is d/3 from the planet of mass M

so the answer is y/d = 1/3
    Cheers i understand it now thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlie1523)
    Thanks Does this formula apply for all situations regardless of the time difference between oscillations?
    Yep I believe so

ReputationRep:
    Sure, here it is Question 6 btw
    I've asked a friend and we both got the same answer (from P to Q). I dont know what the hell this Mark shcme is saying. The field doesnt even go in that direction

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know why last year's grade boundaries were so low? 59/75 was 120/120 UMS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yo12345)
    Can someone answer this please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    moving perpendicular to a field uses no work as its an equipotential line however moving in any other direction uses work i believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veldt127)
    Does anyone know why last year's grade boundaries were so low? 59/75 was 120/120 UMS.
    I really have no idea. Maybe a lot of students didnt do as well. Hopoefully it's like that for us!!!

ReputationRep:
    I really have no idea. Maybe a lot of students didnt do as well. Hopoefully it's like that for us!!!
    I hope so, we have to do Medical as our option unit, my only hope for an A* is a strong mark in Unit 4

ReputationRep:
    Is everyone doing Section B first?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veldt127)
    There was a printing error in one of the questions; the capacitor one.

ReputationRep:
    I've asked a friend and we both got the same answer (from P to Q). I dont know what the hell this Mark shcme is saying. The field doesnt even go in that direction
    Yeah I don't really understand it either Is it P to Q or Q to P? I thought it would've been Q to P using the left hand rule?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by particlestudent)
    Is everyone doing Section B first?
    yup

ReputationRep:
    Are we meant to round numbers for further calculations? I tend to use exact values but often get a different answer from the mark scheme but I just assumed it's better to keep the accuracy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikulp68)
    There was a printing error in one of the questions; the capacitor one.
    That makes sense, damn, looks like an A* might be out of reach. Thanks for explaining +1

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I don't really understand it either Is it P to Q or Q to P? I thought it would've been Q to P using the left hand rule?
    Sorry Q to P is right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelstresss)
    yup
    I honestly don't know which one to do first...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.