Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA Physics PHYA4 - 20th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread] watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yo12345)
    Attachment 553000

Just to clarify. Is no work done when a charge moves perpendicular to a uniform electric field? Is work only done when the charge moves parallel to the field lines?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    huh? I thought it was the other way around??!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mgill17)
    Unit 4 usually about 105 UMS so pretty decent As. Unit 5 usually Bs.

Based on last years UMS and what I think my ISA will be worth though I can realistically only get a B in physics though, and even if I do pretty bad in them I should be well enough into a B boundary.

I'm just worried because I averaged 95% on Chem4 and I reckon I got about 60% in the exam. Then core 3 I'm usually in the high 60s but I got about 45 in the real thing. Both AQA papers.

idk whether it's exam situations making me pressured and then I under perform, the paper's being crap, or both.
    Chem4 was absolutely disgusting so the grade boundaries are bound to fall. I'm sorry about C3 as well I heard that was hard too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManOfJustTin)
    For Physics, I just need an A but it would be nice to try and get the A*
    Even though I got A's in both Unit 1 and Unit 2 last year, I still now need to average an A* over both Unit 4 and Unit 5 just to get an A overall, all because of the ISAs, which as you probably know, a lot of schools cheat on

So because of this, I'm now in a position where I might get rejected from Warwick just because I couldn't do a joke of an exam to the same standard that people who were allowed to cheat on it could...

If the grade boundaries weren't so skewed from all the people getting help on it, this wouldn't be a problem

ReputationRep:
    A paper like june 2014 would be lovely , the long calculation questions to prove an answer it gives you that are worth 4 / 5 marks are quite nice to have I think .

However , having experienced AQA maths C3 last week I'm pretty sure aqa will want to finish what they started ( ruining all stem students futures) , heard aqa chemistriy was very tough aswell . I both feel half ready but also that I don't know anything at all at the same time. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veldt127)
    Damn really? I was hoping for higher I did SHM, and didn't do the water one as I thought 47 would be fine
    Would the grade boundaries be the same for all of them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManOfJustTin)
    Chem4 was absolutely disgusting so the grade boundaries are bound to fall. I'm sorry about C3 as well I heard that was hard too
    The only good thing about Chemistry is everyone agreed it was quite bad, but I still doubt the boundaries for an A will drop from 80 to 60 though which is gutting when Chemistry was an easy A for me and I'll be fighting for it in unit 5. Hopefully 69/70 scrapes me a B in the chem4 paper but I'm not hopeful. I'm literally fighting for an A just to get into my fave university now.
    Maths is exactly the same...I'm hoping AQA won't pull this off again tomorrow...

ReputationRep:
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...1-QP-JUN15.PDF

For question 9, how do you get 1 pi on top, i keep getting 4pi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdf0323)
    Does anyone have any predictions as to what the six marker might me?
    I have a feeling it will be on principles an electric motor or the cyclotron, if not those two, then it may be on transformers. They haven't come up recently.

ReputationRep:
    All I know is there's a 0.000001% chance the paper will be as disgusting as it was last year. Which means the grade boundaries will go back up. It must have been rough for the physics students last year who were also retaking. Not only did they get the most horrible unit 4 test, they got the most horrible unit 1 exam too lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seclusion)

because it is divided by the radius squared, and r2 = (2R)2 = 4R2, so the 4 above and below cancel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seclusion)

Because the planet is radius R and the satellite is R above the surface (2R)^2 =4R which cancels the 4 on top

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MintyMilk)
    Even though I got A's in both Unit 1 and Unit 2 last year, I still now need to average an A* over both Unit 4 and Unit 5 just to get an A overall, all because of the ISAs, which as you probably know, a lot of schools cheat on

So because of this, I'm now in a position where I might get rejected from Warwick just because I couldn't do a joke of an exam to the same standard that people who were allowed to cheat on it could...

If the grade boundaries weren't so skewed from all the people getting help on it, this wouldn't be a problem
    ISAs must screw over so many students, like there's kids at my college after A*s in physics who got what our teacher reckons will probably be a D or C in their best ISAs. We literally all got Us and Es in the first ISA at my college and we'd done about 6 practice ones since September.

The worst part is it's at a point now where you have to cheat to even be equal with the other centres that cheat. Like the ones of us who actually sat this exam fairly and proper are the ones disadvantaged and AQA overlooked that for so many years. Shame they didn't scrap them earlier or implement some way of controlling the cheating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucabrasi98)
    All I know is there's a 0.000001% chance the paper will be as disgusting as it was last year. Which means the grade boundaries will go back up. It must have been rough for the physics students last year who were also retaking. Not only did they get the most horrible unit 4 test, they got the most horrible unit 1 exam too lol
    Yeah i have a feeling it won't be too bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TajwarC)
    Well tbh that's just my opinion - ISA boundaries don't usually change as much so maybe we'll end up with 54. I'm just assuming 52 for myself to be on the safe side
    What would 42 marks be in UMS out of 60?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain eddy currents and how they are formed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by particlestudent)
    That's around 45 UMS, I think. Just below an A grade (basing off last years boundries)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucabrasi98)
    Unit 1 potato battery never forget

ReputationRep:
    Between 42 and 44 I'd say. That's if the boundaries don't go down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mgill17)
    ISAs must screw over so many students, like there's kids at my college after A*s in physics who got what our teacher reckons will probably be a D or C in their best ISAs. We literally all got Us and Es in the first ISA at my college and we'd done about 6 practice ones since September.

The worst part is it's at a point now where you have to cheat to even be equal with the other centres that cheat. Like the ones of us who actually sat this exam fairly and proper are the ones disadvantaged and AQA overlooked that for so many years. Shame they didn't scrap them earlier or implement some way of controlling the cheating.
    I live in north london and 5 out of the 6 closest schools to us cheated in at least one ISA (I have friends in each school). Then there's just our sixth form being legitamate. As a result we all get like 30-45. Meanwhile there's classes where the lowest mark is 45. It's such a pisstake. One of my friends teachers literally talked them through the answers and of course he got 49. He only lost a mark because he drew a point wrong on his graph.

If that many schools near ours our cheating then I can't imagine how bad it must be in the rest of the country.

I only got 42 in the A2 one and 39 in the AS retake so that's an A* basically out the window.

(Original post by SirRaza97)
    Unit 1 potato battery never forget
    #neverforgetdon't forget the last question where you were the wires were randomly in parallel even though the question itself gave no indication of it being so. Ironically the only way you'd assume they're in parallel right away is if you ignored the diagram

ReputationRep:
    That is usually just a B or one mark into the B boundary so I'd go 42/44 UMS.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 9, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.