Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by particlestudent)
    Look at the two I quoted, everyone is saying different things :/.
    the induced EMF is directly proportional to the rate of change of flux linkage, the rate of change of flux cut is greatest when the coil is parallel to the field

When the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field the rate of change of flux cut is zero, but the flux linkage is at a maximum. You can see this graphically by looking at the gradient of a flux linkage graph

I remember it by thinking of it in terms of a differential, it's pretty confusing initially

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terminatoring)
    Why does the graph of potential energy in 2014 show a vertically oscillating Spring mass system as having 0 potential energy at some points? Surely at the equilibrium it has gravitational potential energy and at the bottom elastic?
    Depends where you pick your zero level for GPE - as long as you're consistent you're fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    Depends where you pick your zero level for GPE - as long as you're consistent you're fine.
    Yeah but how would it ever have 0 potential energy? There's always either grav or elastic and the mark scheme is strict

ReputationRep:
    Guys can I just check this with you (can't find my notes on this topic)
    Elastic collisions- momentum conserved, kinetic energy conserved
    Inelastic collisions- momentum conserved, kinetic energy not conserved
    Explosions- momentum conserved, kinetic energy not conserved

ReputationRep:
    AND if you take the equilibrium as 0 pe than that introduces NEGATIVE GRAV POTNETIAL ENRGY,!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatcooldude2.0)
    Sounds good to me

ReputationRep:
    All right. Momentum is conserved unless an outside force is acting.

Yeah but how would it ever have 0 potential energy? There's always either grav or elastic and the mark scheme is strict
    I think the 0 level is just relative, eg if you pick initial position as the 0 level, the graph will then show whether it has gained or lost GPE relative to that position, as well as the magnitude of the energy

ReputationRep:
    AND if you take the equilibrium as 0 pe than that introduces NEGATIVE GRAV POTNETIAL ENRGY,!
    And? As long as you're consistent, it's fine.

Link me to the question and I'll have a look

ReputationRep:
    at the position of equilibrium all of the potential energy (GPE + Elastic)
    is in the form of kinetic energy for a mass spring system

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rxns_00)
    I think the 0 level is just relative, eg if you pick initial position as the 0 level, the graph will then show whether it has gained or lost GPE relative to that position, as well as the magnitude of the energy
    Absolutely

ReputationRep:
    Energy is a scalar quantity so you cant get negative energy

ReputationRep:
    And? As long as you're consistent, it's fine.

Link me to the question and I'll have a look
    I don't understand how you can sit there and tell me negative energy isn't a problem here. Let's dispel the notion that negative energy isn't a problem - it certainly is. Now tell me how we solve it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d14m)
    at the position of equilibrium all of the potential energy (GPE + Elastic)b
    is in the form of kinetic energy for a mass spring system
    Only if you take the equilibrium as 0 potential energy , but the the bottom has NEGATIVE GRSVITSTIONAL POTENTIAL - problem!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah this is correct, in the explosion potential energy is converted to kinetic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brailey)
    Except for all of the gravitational potential that is negative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brailey)
    Isn't all gravitational potential negative?

Cause it's max is zero....I'm partially kidding....partially

ReputationRep:
    How do you do this question?

Water of density 1000 kg m–3 flows out of a garden hose of cross-sectional area7.2 × 10–4m2 at a rate of 2.0 × 10–4m3 per second. How much momentum is carriedby the water leaving the hose per second?

A 5.6 × 10–5N s
    B 5.6 × 10–2N s
    C 0.20 N s
    D 0.72 N s

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how you can sit there and tell me negative energy isn't a problem here. Let's dispel the notion that negative energy isn't a problem - it certainly is. Now tell me how we solve it.
    No, I am talking about when you are doing energy calculations. The negative sign simply indicates that you have lost energy and it has been expelled into another form.

Take a particle performing vertical circular motion and your zero level to be at the highest point the particle reaches into its motion. Then when you go beneath that zero level, you have lost potential energy, which will give you a negative sign. Doesn't mean energy is negative - just that it has been lost to another form.

I'm not going to sit here and claim you can have negative energy, because that of course makes no sense. I would have thought it'd have been obvious that I am talking about energy losses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Music With Rocks)
    How do you do this question?

Water of density 1000 kg m–3 flows out of a garden hose of cross-sectional area7.2 × 10–4m2 at a rate of 2.0 × 10–4m3 per second. How much momentum is carriedby the water leaving the hose per second?

A 5.6 × 10–5N s
    B 5.6 × 10–2N s
    C 0.20 N s
    D 0.72 N s
    Momentum = mv
    m = density * volume
    v = volume per second divided by area

Does this help?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.