Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abro1089)
    Mate I still think you're not quite right. Flux linkage is not the same as flux lines being cut, in fact they are the opposite. See this pic from a good revision website Attachment 553312

look at the diagram then read the italic text
    Okay, the italics texts say this.

"The induced emf has its greatest value when the MOVEMENT of the coil is perpendicular to the field"
    Imagine when the PLANE of the coil is parallel to the field line, the MOVEMENT of the coil will be perpendicular to the field. Say the field lines going from right to left. and say the coils(looking from sideways) is is turning anticlockwise, with its plane face facing up and down, now that's when the MOVEMENT of the coil is perpendicular because left wire is moving down as the right wire is moving up(turning anticlockwise you see)
    If you still can't understand this then I can't even even anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by particlestudent)
    Again this is confusing me... The induced EMF is greatest when it's 90degrees to give sin90=1, making the emf induced a maximum and so the rate of change of flux linkage a maximum....

This is starting to **** me off now
    yes

ReputationRep:
    Again this is confusing me... The induced EMF is greatest when it's 90degrees to give sin90=1, making the emf induced a maximum and so the rate of change of flux linkage a maximum....

This angle is the angle between the normal to the plane of the coil.... I get why it's annoying

but the rate of change of flux is greatest when the coil is parallel to the field, just look at the graph of flux linkage of a rotating coil and look at where the gradient is greatest

ReputationRep:

I think it ****s most people off :lol:

Hopefully the question will be based on a graph, and you can use the gradient (flux/time).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    I've lost your original question now but I'm sure it gave the volume per second.
    the volume is given in the question. it gives in m^3 per second and you model it as one second, so it is essentially the volume of the cylinder!
    (Original post by d14m)
    the volume leaving the hose per second times by density = mass leaving hose per second

the momentum per second is just mass per second x velocity of the water
    Well thank you everybody I finally got it!

Took three people to knock it through my thick skull haha definitely need some sleep....

ReputationRep:
    Do we need fleming's right hand rule
    help me i'm going to fail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doshea1311)
    yes
    hi

ReputationRep:
    hi
    hi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d14m)
    This angle is the angle between the normal to the plane of the coil.... I get why it's annoying

but the rate of change of flux is greatest when the coil is parallel to the field, just look at the graph of flux linkage of a rotating coil and look at where the gradient is greatest
    Okay thanks. I'm off to sleep now, need it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    Was just about to ask this. I'm going to guess something about magnetic fields. Hopefully not damping/natural frequencies or an experiment (do they still do that in unit 4?)
    Really hope not! I can't recall a particular experiement I've had to learn (nothing like measuring internal resistance or young's modulus from AS anyway).

I'm hoping and praying electromagnetic induction isn't anything in the 6 marker - unless it's how a transformer works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beggelton)
    yeah you do, you can use it for eddy currents which may come up

ReputationRep:
    Flehming's Right hand rule is for generator situations, ie where a coil is rotating through a magnetic field (kinetic energy --> electric potential)

ReputationRep:
    Which angle to we take when using the BANcos(theta) formula, is it from the coil to the lines or from the coil to the perpendicular of the lines????

ReputationRep:
    I've done every past paper and I've used the equation to find the average induced eng from a rotating coil a grand total of 0 times. Wtf,

ReputationRep:
    Can we list potential 6 markers? I hate this question

ReputationRep:
    Aqa PhysA: https://gyazo.com/f7d3d3d1689a6b4fd79d7c8eadd1dfc1
    You don't need to know it

still going to fail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Questioner1234)
    Which angle to we take when using the BANcos(theta) formula, is it from the coil to the lines or from the coil to the perpendicular of the lines????
    It is angle between the field lines and the normal to the coil

ReputationRep:
    It's unlikely to come up but I think it's still in the specification.

This is how I remember them:

Left hand: current causes movement.

Right hand: movement causes current.

Right hand grip rule for current through wire and direction of magnetic field around the wire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucabrasi98)
    I've done every past paper and I've used the equation to find the average induced eng from a rotating coil a grand total of 0 times. Wtf,
    You must've missed a question. I'm sure I did that this morning.

ReputationRep:
    This is ****ed mates. What're the theories on the six marker, haven't been keeping up to date

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.