Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowfan1555)
    Hi,

For the question asking for the time constant: It said it took 45 seconds for 80% of the voltage to decay. So, I did 45/80, for the time for 1 % to decay. I then said the time constant was the time for it to decay to ~ 37% ((1/e)*100) and so I did (1-1/e)*100 which roughly gave 63% as expected. I did this 63% timesd by the value of 45/80 to give 63% lost- and I got like 35.6... which is wrong. Why is this wrong?
    It doesn't decay at a constant rate. You can't just do 45/80.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tophatmenis)
    What did people but as units for epsilon naught x Gravitational constant?
    C?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mango Milkshake)
    It doesn't decay at a constant rate. You can't just do 45/80.
    Damn. I was initially doing it correctly too, but I decided to switch methods. How many marks was that? 3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowfan1555)
    Damn. I was initially doing it correctly too, but I decided to switch methods. How many marks was that? 3?
    yes it was 3 marks, don't worry about we've all messed up somewhere on this paper

for that question for future reference so you know, we had no values of what v inital was and no graph. we know that the voltage fell by 80% in 45s though. so as its exponential, we can simply say that the inital voltage was 1v and it fell by 80% to 0.2v

then its just a bit of rearranging into: 45s/ln(0.2/1) = around 20-25s something in that area is what i got

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone does, but when someone gets a hold of the multiple choice, could they post it so we can get an unofficial markscheme of it? as i'd really like to know what i averaglely got on it to reassure me for section B, I was aiming for 18ish but some got me stuck between 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yo12345)
    What did people get for the gravitational potential at the centre of the 2 masses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    -4GM/d?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    -4GM/d?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    same, g.f.s would be 0 but potential is what you said, thank god i got that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathan2580)
    same, g.f.s would be 0 but potential is what you said, thank god i got that
    I hope it is. Is it definitely correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Vote if you haven't yet voted- http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4176850

ReputationRep:
    I hope it is. Is it definitely correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yep, look at this https://www.physicsforums.com/thread...masses.507635/

its the same question as asked in our paper but a few years back, different answers to choose but the core question was to find the potential at the mid point between 2 masses, and the answer is -4pi bla bla bla, we got it right

ReputationRep:
    I think it will be about 51 or 52 for an A. It's much harder to tell for A* and full ums though.

ReputationRep:
    Answers to the MC here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4#post65961084

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    NatSci, you? I applied to imp too
    Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathan2580)
    yes it was 3 marks, don't worry about we've all messed up somewhere on this paper

for that question for future reference so you know, we had no values of what v inital was and no graph. we know that the voltage fell by 80% in 45s though. so as its exponential, we can simply say that the inital voltage was 1v and it fell by 80% to 0.2v

then its just a bit of rearranging into: 45s/ln(0.2/1) = around 20-25s something in that area is what i got
    Thanks man Lol yeah i'll need to know that next year when i'm resitting haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notanooblol)
    Maths
    Cool, I could never do a maths degree haha

ReputationRep:
    Would 59-62 be an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would 59-62 be an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A* boundary should be 57/58 so yes

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to get a certain number of questions right on the multiple choice to get a good grade overall?

ReputationRep:
    I can't help but think that this is gonna have 2014 level high gb lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ella97)
    Do you have to get a certain number of questions right on the multiple choice to get a good grade overall?
    Nope, its total mark that counts

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 9, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.