Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

For the question asking for the time constant: It said it took 45 seconds for 80% of the voltage to decay. So, I did 45/80, for the time for 1 % to decay. I then said the time constant was the time for it to decay to ~ 37% ((1/e)*100) and so I did (1-1/e)*100 which roughly gave 63% as expected. I did this 63% timesd by the value of 45/80 to give 63% lost- and I got like 35.6... which is wrong. Why is this wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowfan1555)
    Hi,

For the question asking for the time constant: It said it took 45 seconds for 80% of the voltage to decay. So, I did 45/80, for the time for 1 % to decay. I then said the time constant was the time for it to decay to ~ 37% ((1/e)*100) and so I did (1-1/e)*100 which roughly gave 63% as expected. I did this 63% timesd by the value of 45/80 to give 63% lost- and I got like 35.6... which is wrong. Why is this wrong?
    It doesn't decay at a constant rate. You can't just do 45/80.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tophatmenis)
    What did people but as units for epsilon naught x Gravitational constant?
    C?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mango Milkshake)
    It doesn't decay at a constant rate. You can't just do 45/80.
    Damn. I was initially doing it correctly too, but I decided to switch methods. How many marks was that? 3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowfan1555)
    Damn. I was initially doing it correctly too, but I decided to switch methods. How many marks was that? 3?
    yes it was 3 marks, don't worry about we've all messed up somewhere on this paper

for that question for future reference so you know, we had no values of what v inital was and no graph. we know that the voltage fell by 80% in 45s though. so as its exponential, we can simply say that the inital voltage was 1v and it fell by 80% to 0.2v

then its just a bit of rearranging into: 45s/ln(0.2/1) = around 20-25s something in that area is what i got

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone does, but when someone gets a hold of the multiple choice, could they post it so we can get an unofficial markscheme of it? as i'd really like to know what i averaglely got on it to reassure me for section B, I was aiming for 18ish but some got me stuck between 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yo12345)
    What did people get for the gravitational potential at the centre of the 2 masses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    -4GM/d?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    -4GM/d?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    same, g.f.s would be 0 but potential is what you said, thank god i got that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathan2580)
    same, g.f.s would be 0 but potential is what you said, thank god i got that
    I hope it is. Is it definitely correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Vote if you haven't yet voted- http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4176850

ReputationRep:
    I hope it is. Is it definitely correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yep, look at this https://www.physicsforums.com/thread...masses.507635/

its the same question as asked in our paper but a few years back, different answers to choose but the core question was to find the potential at the mid point between 2 masses, and the answer is -4pi bla bla bla, we got it right

ReputationRep:
    I think it will be about 51 or 52 for an A. It's much harder to tell for A* and full ums though.

ReputationRep:
    Answers to the MC here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4#post65961084

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    NatSci, you? I applied to imp too
    Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathan2580)
    yes it was 3 marks, don't worry about we've all messed up somewhere on this paper

for that question for future reference so you know, we had no values of what v inital was and no graph. we know that the voltage fell by 80% in 45s though. so as its exponential, we can simply say that the inital voltage was 1v and it fell by 80% to 0.2v

then its just a bit of rearranging into: 45s/ln(0.2/1) = around 20-25s something in that area is what i got
    Thanks man Lol yeah i'll need to know that next year when i'm resitting haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notanooblol)
    Maths
    Cool, I could never do a maths degree haha

ReputationRep:
    Would 59-62 be an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would 59-62 be an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A* boundary should be 57/58 so yes

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to get a certain number of questions right on the multiple choice to get a good grade overall?

ReputationRep:
    I can't help but think that this is gonna have 2014 level high gb lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.