The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - 28th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Well this is where it all ends for me guys, last of my 12 exams.

Good luck to you all
Original post by Mattematics
I believe so. It's still pretty basic though, I've just got it memorised from GCSE.

Are we required to know the derivation of the kinetic theory of gases equation?
Dreading it because I'm going to fail. Can't wait because last A Level exam e v e r.
Original post by 1017bsquad
Are we required to know the derivation of the kinetic theory of gases equation?

It's in the spec but I'm not sure they'd ask it as like "derive the kinetic theory equation", they'd likely work you through it as it is fairly long
Original post by Whizbox
It's in the spec but I'm not sure they'd ask it as like "derive the kinetic theory equation", they'd likely work you through it as it is fairly long

yes it's highly involved and i would be very surprised if they asked about it! (surprised = screwed coz i cba to learn it lol)
In the binding energy questions, when do you include the sub-particles, like electrons and neutrons?? In June 2013, 1cii, electron mass is included in the calculation. In June 2014, 1bii, Neutrons aren't included. Can anyone explain why??
Original post by ChronicBoredom
In the binding energy questions, when do you include the sub-particles, like electrons and neutrons?? In June 2013, 1cii, electron mass is included in the calculation. In June 2014, 1bii, Neutrons aren't included. Can anyone explain why??

If it's asking about mass then you include it. If it's binding energy you don't. Individual nucleons don't have binding energies.
Same. Absolutely cannot wait until 11am tomorrow morning.

I'm sort of in a lucky position in that I think I've already managed to meet my offer with my other A levels, which is good because I'm absolutely screwed for this exam.

I kinda need to do well on this though I technically only need 100UMS or so in this unit because I may have missed one of my conditions so i need to convince the admissions with good physics lol
Anyhow good luck with tomorrow
If it's asking about mass then you include it. If it's binding energy you don't. Individual nucleons don't have binding energies.

Sorry, I meant they both ask for 'energy released'... if values of binding energy are given, I ignore individual nucleons and electrons?
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Guys does anyone have a list of the formulas we need to know that aren't on the data sheet?

If you're doing astrophysics, you'll need to remember I=P/4pi*d^2
Has anyone got an answer to the 6 mark question from June 2013 Section A on radioactivity?
Original post by dreadfortmormont
If you're doing astrophysics, you'll need to remember I=P/4pi*d^2

are you sure?!
Why are there even options anyway? Why don't we all just do useful bits from every option lol
Original post by C0balt
Why are there even options anyway? Why don't we all just do useful bits from every option lol

The useful bits (i.e. the calculations) will be too easy if they were all compiled into one exam lol. They just long it out to ask a variety of questions imo, or in other words to annoy students

Whats worse is that the official AQA textbook doesn't cover any of them. Really stupid
Original post by TajwarC
The useful bits (i.e. the calculations) will be too easy if they were all compiled into one exam lol. They just long it out to ask a variety of questions imo, or in other words to annoy students

Whats worse is that the official AQA textbook doesn't cover any of them. Really stupid

Although the text books don't there are some notes that AQA have made instead of a textbook, much better IMO. They are written in a much better way and made easily understandable with much less BS filler like every other aqa textbook!
Reply 595
I think someone asked this earlier, but for questions that ask you to find the binding energy, when do you include the mass of the electrons in the mass defect?
Original post by ChillGod
2014 talks about binding energy. A neutron won't have binding energy because it's already unbound I.e, you don't need energy to break it as its already a nucleon.

2011 talks about mass. You need the mass of the neutron you work out the mass defect overall. In 2014 you didn't need to do this because the total binding energy difference of the reaction is the mass defect.

Hope it makes sense.

Original post by boyyo
I think someone asked this earlier, but for questions that ask you to find the binding energy, when do you include the mass of the electrons in the mass defect?
^^
Reply 597
Original post by exo97
For June 13 Section B Astrophysics, question 2)c)ii) why is the angle subtended (Schwarzschild radius/ distance) instead of (2 * Schwarzschild radius/ distance) to get the diameter which gives 2.5 times instead of 5 times...? Thanks!

Anyone? :redface:
Last exam and really nervous. Hope it's a good one...
Original post by Ainsleyy
are you sure?!

Yeah this is right I came across it today, d is the distance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending