The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - 28th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

I used the formula P= I/(4pid^2) for the quasar question, but somehow still got the right answer. Will I lose marks ?
I'd say for PHYA5D grade boundaries will be the same as last years +/- 2 marks? the 6 markers for turning points was a bit awkward imo, and some of the questions in the nuclear paper
Original post by Yo12345
For the first question for TP, the conclusions:

I put that cathode rays have a negative charge. And that they have energy, momentum and mass. Is this ok?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 983
That is the inverse square law though?
Original post by -jordan-
Last year's paper was insanely simple. Close to the easiest they've ever made I think. This was quite a bit harder, with some of the worded questions.

Really? Last years paper was disgusting for me. I made a few silly mistakes in this paper but i still think i confortably got an A*. However if I had to sit last years paper I'd get like a B.

But tbf i was very fortunate for this one. I had no idea how to derieve the equation for specific charge that we'd need in the exam. I only knew how to find specific charge when given velocity and voltage.

So i ended up memorising it like 3 mins before I had to enter the exam hall. That would've been 4 marks wasted lol. A lot of the questions I only found out to answer yesterday.

Also, grade boundaries will vary depending on what optional units you did.

For people who did turning points, the question where we had to prove something= 5.1*10^-5 for 3 marks genuinely took me like 15 mins. 90% of that was spent by me wondering why I kept getting electron speeds faster than the speed of light and thinking AQA wtf.

I'm a bit annoyed how it was only 3 marks with all that effort I put in to get the right answer
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lucabrasi98
Really? Last years paper was disgusting for me. I made a few silly mistakes in this paper but i still think i confortably got an A*. However if I had to sit last years paper I'd get like a B.

But tbf i was very fortunate for this one. I had no idea how to derieve the equation for specific charge that we'd need in the exam. I only knew how to find specific charge when given velocity and voltage.

So i ended up memorising it like 3 mins before I had to enter the exam hall. That would've been 4 marks wasted lol. A lot of the questions I only found out to answer yesterday.

Also, grade boundaries will vary depending on what optional units you did.

For people who did turning points, the question where we had to prove something= 5.1*10^-5 for 3 marks genuinely took me like 15 mins. 90% of that was spent by me wondering why I kept getting electron speeds faster than the speed of light and thinking AQA wtf.

I'm a bit annoyed how it was only 3 marks with all that effort I put in to get the right answer

Well that's based on nuclear/thermal only, never had a look at the turning points but since it's the lower mark of the two I don't think it affects the overall boundary too much. Wasn't it 4 marks for the special relativity question? Definitely took longer than 4 minutes!
(edited 7 years ago)

Didn't it have to be in relation to the comparison between photoelectrons?
Didn't it have to be in relation to the comparison between photoelectrons?

No, I think it was just conclusions from Thomson's experiment

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yo12345
No, I think it was just conclusions from Thomson's experiment

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough, should be accepted then.
Last year's paper was insanely simple. Close to the easiest they've ever made I think. This was quite a bit harder, with some of the worded questions.

I found last year's paper very hard, maybe because i didnt know much then.
In comparison i found this one much easier
Agreed it wasn't more difficult than previous years, but last year's paper was easier than any of the other papers in my opinion.

do you know anyone who will be preparing an unofficial mark scheme?
Original post by Manam786
I found last year's paper very hard, maybe because i didnt know much then.
In comparison i found this one much easier

Boundaries were higher than average I think
Fair enough, should be accepted then.

What do you think the GB will be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yo12345
What do you think the GB will be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

58/59 for an A*? 52 for an A?
58/59 for an A*? 52 for an A?

Hopefully, this would get me an A overall

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd go for the same as June 2010: A* - 57, A - 51, etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well that's based on nuclear/thermal only, never had a look at the turning points but since it's the lower mark of the two I don't think it affects the overall boundary too much. Wasn't it 4 marks for the special relativity question? Definitely took longer than 4 minutes!

Idk i remember seeing 3. I'll be glad if it was 4. All i know for sure is it took me ages.

From what I've seen, turning points usually has lower grade boundaries than the other options. Only by about 1 or 2 marks max though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Boundaries were higher than average I think

Depends on what option you did. I found last year's astro paper difficult

what was last year's astro grade boundary
Original post by Yo12345
I'd go for the same as June 2010: A* - 57, A - 51, etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

For Medical I'd say 53 for an A*
For the tick box Q in TP, was it that light has speed 3x10^8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply