Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Were you supposed to add background radiation back into the answer for your count rate, or just leave it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirRaza97)
    No they weren't they were seperate questions each 3 marks I think. It would be a lot to ask that in one question.
    It was 2, 2 mark questions. You're probably right, haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by SirRaza97)
    The questions were from what I can remember in no order:

- Why fission and fusion is restricted to parts of the graph?
    - Why fusion releases more energy?
    - Mass defect of oxygen?
    - The energy released when oxygen forms?
    - How can you use the graph to calculate the binding energy of oxygen?
    Thank you so much I am starting to remember paper now, doing this test with 3 hours sleep was a bad idea Can you remember what question other questions where about?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Euclidean)
    Applied over here :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What do you think the GB for applied going to be ? and how did u find it?

ReputationRep:
    Applied over here :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How'd you find it? I think it was pretty nice, rotational was a bit harder than usual but rotational is easy in the first place anyway

ReputationRep:
    Here are my numerical answers, to nuclear/ thermal + Astro:

1(b)(ii): 3x10-15
    2(b)(i):96
    3(b)(i):2.3x10-28
    3(b)(ii):127
    4(b)(i):4.4x10-4
    4(b)(ii):0.066
    4(b)(iii):1.2
    5(b)(i): 16000 (rounded from 15510)
    5(b)(ii): 2440
    5(b)(iii):2119
    ASTRO
    1(a)(i):0.18
    1(b)(ii):0.2
    2(b)(ii):0.47
    4(b)(i):5.6x10^28 (I know for sure this is wrong lol)

I'm not sure how right I am on any of these so don't use this as a mark scheme, just to compare answers.

Also, I probably typo'd some stuff, and some question numbers COULD be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koolgurl14)
    Thank you so much I am starting to remember paper now, doing this test with 3 hours sleep was a bad idea Can you remember what question other questions where about?
    That was basically me in unit 4 xD. I can't remember them all no. first part was electron diffraction stuff then alpha scattering. 2nd part was the binding energy part I think. 6 marker on rutherford experiment. Uhh Pv = nRT part with the piston stuff where you calc the new volume, moles and the density of the gas. Did anyone get 4.4x10-4 and 1.2 for that part? Last part was some basic heat capacity stuff. Although I got like 1700 for the heat capacity of ice which I am not sure is correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    How'd you find it? I think it was pretty nice, rotational was a bit harder than usual but rotational is easy in the first place anyway
    I'm unsure on my answer to the 6 marker.

I wrote about changing the shape of the flywheel so it resembles a tear drop with the same radius of rotation to increase the sum of mr^2 and also how a high density material would be favourable because it would increase the M.I without increasing the radius.

But for the mechanical part, I said that the spring should be replaced for a spring with a greater spring constant because it would exert a greater torque on the flywheel as the lever thing disengaged? (Really unsure, it looked as though disengaging the lever would reverse the direction of motion of the flywheel?) And also how the amount by which the handle could be compressed should be increased.

What do you think?

The rest of it was fine, particularly liked the engine question and the jets question.

(Original post by koolgurl14)
    What do you think the GB for applied going to be ? and how did u find it?
    I am unsure about boundaries to be honest. I think the 6 marker might(?) throw some people it certainly looked freakish but actually a similar question has come up before. The thermal efficiency might throw people who didn't revise it too...

Around an average paper I'd say, all in all

ReputationRep:
    can someone direct me to the unofficial mark schemes please for unit5 june 2016 aqa physics?

ReputationRep:
    yellowfan1555 More or less the same answers for thermal

What were the questions for Astro? I can't remember. Question one was about a lense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shrek1234)
    yellowfan1555 More or less the same answers for thermal

What were the questions for Astro? I can't remember. Question one was about a lense.
    I'm struggling to remember too.1 was deffo telescopes, 2 was the Hertzsprung Russell Diagram with the table with 3 stars, the six marker and the magnitude question I think. 3 was the CCD question. 4 Was Quasars. I think that's it?

ReputationRep:
    for volume were there different temperatures or same temperature ?

ReputationRep:
    can someone put there nuclear answers up please?

ReputationRep:
    660 count rate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireBLue97)
    for volume were there different temperatures or same temperature ?
    Different.

Count rate was 95

ReputationRep:
    wasnt the initial count rate 2000 something?

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was quite a standard exam, but I'm not 100% confident I did well enough annoyingly.

In Nuclear I didn't have any quantitative knowledge about Rutherford Scattering, I could only describe it without any proper numbers :/

And in Applied I goofed twice - I couldn't think how to work out the work done by a rotational system (Tw) and then on the engine question I converted rpm to cycles per second by multiplying by 60 rather than dividing oops. Those two probably cost up to 5 marks so I'm quite annoyed I messed them up - recent boundaries have only been -10 or so for 90% UMS and this wasn't a hard paper...

ReputationRep:
    I'm unsure on my answer to the 6 marker.

I wrote about changing the shape of the flywheel so it resembles a tear drop with the same radius of rotation to increase the sum of mr^2 and also how a high density material would be favourable because it would increase the M.I without increasing the radius.

But for the mechanical part, I said that the spring should be replaced for a spring with a greater spring constant because it would exert a greater torque on the flywheel as the lever thing disengaged? (Really unsure, it looked as though disengaging the lever would reverse the direction of motion of the flywheel?) And also how the amount by which the handle could be compressed should be increased.

What do you think?

The rest of it was fine, particularly liked the engine question and the jets question.

I am unsure about boundaries to be honest. I think the 6 marker might(?) throw some people it certainly looked freakish but actually a similar question has come up before. The thermal efficiency might throw people who didn't revise it too...

Around an average paper I'd say, all in all
    Oh yeah the flywheel design has come up a couple of times so I just said higher density greater mass, concentrate mass at the edge. Also low resistance material, but that was just some bs I came up with lol.

Yeah the lever thing looked like it was gonna reverse the rotation when released, but that wouldn't make much sense so I just ignored that. I think the spring was there just to return the lever though, it wasn't there for the rotation.
    For mechanics it said the gears keep rotating so I said it would waste energy stored by the flywheel so you should design it such that gear and flywheel have no contact afterwards? And then I also said the small gear on the flywheel should be made smaller if possible so that a rotation of the big gear will produce more rotations of the small gear and hence flywheel will have a higher angular speed. But i am not sure at all.

Where did you put your X? Am I right in thinking it was right before minimum volume at the end of compression right?

ReputationRep:
    can someone post there answers for the nuclear section please really need this

ReputationRep:
    Here are my numerical answers(and stuff i remember) that im pretty confident about

NUCLEAR AND THERMAL
    1ai 3.348x10^(−15)
    1aii 3.05x10^(−15)
    2a Nuclear accidents, e.g. Chernobyl
    2bi 96
    3bi 2.27x10^(−28)
    3bii 127
    4bi 4.39x10^(−4)
    4bii .0667
    4biii 1.21
    5bi 15500
    5bii 2490
    5biii 2120

ASTRO
    1a 0.9
    1bi real
    1bii 0.2
    2bii 0.47
    2biii areitis furthest
    4a radio signals
    4bi 2.37x10^(14)au

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 19, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.