Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Here are my numerical answers(and stuff i remember) that im pretty confident about

NUCLEAR AND THERMAL
    1ai 3.348x10^(−15)
    1aii 3.05x10^(−15)
    2a Nuclear accidents, e.g. Chernobyl
    2bi 96
    3bi 2.27x10^(−28)
    3bii 127
    4bi 4.39x10^(−4)
    4bii .0667
    4biii 1.21
    5bi 15500
    5bii 2490
    5biii 2120

ASTRO
    1a 0.9
    1bi real
    1bii 0.2
    2bii 0.47
    2biii areitis furthest
    4a radio signals
    4bi 2.37x10^(14)au

ReputationRep:
    can u say nuclear weapon testing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    Oh yeah the flywheel design has come up a couple of times so I just said higher density greater mass, concentrate mass at the edge. Also low resistance material, but that was just some bs I came up with lol.

Yeah the lever thing looked like it was gonna reverse the rotation when released, but that wouldn't make much sense so I just ignored that. I think the spring was there just to return the lever though, it wasn't there for the rotation.
    For mechanics it said the gears keep rotating so I said it would waste energy stored by the flywheel so you should design it such that gear and flywheel have no contact afterwards? And then I also said the small gear on the flywheel should be made smaller if possible so that a rotation of the big gear will produce more rotations of the small gear and hence flywheel will have a higher angular speed. But i am not sure at all.

Where did you put your X? Am I right in thinking it was right before minimum volume at the end of compression right?
    I said similar things for the flywheel, also something about ball bearings to reduce friction on the axle, and changing gearing to make a higher angular velocity possible

And for the X I remember putting it at the top left peak of the cycle I can't remember my reasoning...

ReputationRep:
    Can someone post their worded answers except 6 marker please

ReputationRep:
    I just said power station lmao

ReputationRep:
    What was the exact method for the count rate question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowfan1555)
    I'm struggling to remember too.1 was deffo telescopes, 2 was the Hertzsprung Russell Diagram with the table with 3 stars, the six marker and the magnitude question I think. 3 was the CCD question. 4 Was Quasars. I think that's it?
    Your answer for the very first question doesn't seem right. It said the length of the telescope, so you had to add it to the other value.
    Do you remember what the other values were?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duskstar)
    I said similar things for the flywheel, also something about ball bearings to reduce friction on the axle, and changing gearing to make a higher angular velocity possible

And for the X I remember putting it at the top left peak of the cycle I can't remember my reasoning...
    Noice 👍 I felt that six marker had too much unnecessary context. I was tempted to talk about magnet but then I was like oh wait no its not unit 4 exam lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsYaBoi)
    Here are my numerical answers(and stuff i remember) that im pretty confident about

NUCLEAR AND THERMAL
    1ai 3.348x10^(−15)
    1aii 3.05x10^(−15)
    2a Nuclear accidents, e.g. Chernobyl
    2bi 96
    3bi 2.27x10^(−28)
    3bii 127
    4bi 4.39x10^(−4)
    4bii .0667
    4biii 1.21
    5bi 15500
    5bii 2490
    5biii 2120

ASTRO
    1a 0.9
    1bi real
    1bii 0.2
    2bii 0.47
    2biii areitis furthest
    4a radio signals
    4bi 2.37x10^(14)au
    Pretty much same as you. What was 1bii for astro?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -jordan-)
    Different.

Count rate was 95
    Sorry could u explain the method for this please and was it a 3 marker

ReputationRep:
    I just said power station lmao
    Haha same, is it right do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiemok)
    what was ur answer for the count rate and could u give a method plz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireBLue97)
    Sorry could u explain the method for this please and was it a 3 marker
    Count rate at 0.15m was 2050, background was 40, so you can calculate the k value (you assume it's gamma radiation) in:

I = \dfac{k}{x^2}

\therefore k = (2050 - 40) \times 0.15^2

k = 45.225

Then you can calculate the count rate at 0.9m:

I = \dfrac{45.225}{0.9^2}

I = 55.83

+40 for background count, you'd therefore expect a count of 96 (I assumed this had to be a whole number)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shrek1234)
    I think it was calculating the object distance from a focal length and image distance. My calculator shows 1/0.15 - 1/0.6 = 5

ReputationRep:
    Noice 👍 I felt that six marker had too much unnecessary context. I was tempted to talk about magnet but then I was like oh wait no its not unit 4 exam lol
    Yep there was so much context it feels like there was something that should have been blindingly obvious to talk about in terms of the 'mechanism', when I really couldn't think of anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shrek1234)
    What was question 1a?

ReputationRep:
    Count rate at 0.15m was 2050, background was 40, so you can calculate the k value (you assume it's gamma radiation) in:

I = \dfac{k}{x^2}

k = 45.225

I = 55.83

+40 for background count, you'd therefore expect a count of 96 (I assumed this had to be a whole number)
    Hi thanku was this a three marker btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiemok)
    I think we were a bit too vague for AQA's picky ms

ReputationRep:
    58-60 - A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I = \dfac{k}{x^2}

k = 45.225

I = 55.83

Sorry i was wondering if it would be possible if u could post ur answers or even the questions for the nuclear section A please

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.