Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand questions with a wall that isn't in the x or y-axis.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 22.07.41.png
Views: 105
Size:  223.1 KB
    I understand up to "(1/\sqrt2)(-i+j) is a unit vector perpendicular to the wall" but I do not know how to get the next line. Please could someone explain what is going on?

I know that the unit vector parallel to the wall is (1/\sqrt2)(i+j), and I am familiar with the dot product.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    This is FP3 vector stuff. The resolved part of a vector \mathbf{a} in the direction of another vector \mathbf{b} is given by:

\displaystyle \left(\frac{\mathbf{a} . \mathbf{b}}{|\mathbf{b}|}\right)

This is given to you in your formula booklet, page 10 under FP3 vectors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    This is FP3 vector stuff. The resolved part of a vector \mathbf{a} in the direction of another vector \mathbf{b} is given by:

\displaystyle \left(\frac{\mathbf{a} . \mathbf{b}}{|\mathbf{b}|}\right) \mathbf{a}

This is given to you in your formula booklet, page 10 under FP3 vectors.
    (a.b/|b|)a

Okay, so we know the initial velocity, u = (4i + 2j). We want the 'amount' of this that acts parallel to the wall, and the 'amount' that acts perpendicular to the wall.

Parallel to the wall, the unit vector is (i+j)/\sqrt2. So a = (4i + 2j), b = (i + j) (the equation of the line representing the wall), |b| = r(1+1) = r2, and so the 'amount' of a acting parallel to the wall equals [(4i + 2j).(i + j)/r2](4i + 2j). But in the solution, it has the unit vector parallel to the wall at the end instead of (4i + 2j), as if the FP3 equation is (a.b/|b|)b. I'm still confused!

ReputationRep:
    (a.b/|b|)a
    as if the FP3 equation is (a.b/|b|)b. I'm still confused!
    Oh darn! My apologies, that's the one I meant. If it's in the direction of b and and (a.b)/|b| is a scalar then it makes sense for resolving a in the direction of b as b(a.b/|b|). Sorry again!

ReputationRep:
    Oh darn! My apologies, that's the one I meant. If it's in the direction of b and and (a.b)/|b| is a scalar then it makes sense for resolving a in the direction of b as b(a.b/|b|). Sorry again!
    So what I said made sense? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    So what I said made sense? :eek:
    Pretty much.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much.
    Great

So for the 'amount' of (4i + 2j) acting perpendicular to the wall, we use [(4i + 2j).(-i + j)/r2](-i + j)... Which is not what the solution says. It has (i - j) then (-i + j); could it be a mistake?

ReputationRep:
    Great

So for the 'amount' of (4i + 2j) acting perpendicular to the wall, we use [(4i + 2j).(-i + j)/r2](-i + j)... Which is not what the solution says. It has (i - j) then (-i + j); could it be a mistake?
    This is probably a good time to drop the disclaimer that I've never touched an M4 book in my life and that I generally suck at mechanics...

Buuut, yeah, I'd wager that's a mistake? Hopefully. Don't take my word for it, though.

ReputationRep:
    This is probably a good time to drop the disclaimer that I've never touched an M4 book in my life and that I generally suck at mechanics...

Buuut, yeah, I'd wager that's a mistake? Hopefully. Don't take my word for it, though.
    Probably is; I was finding 4 mistakes per question in the FP2 solutionbank. If it is a mistake, I think I understand it now, so thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Great

Ooor: I don't think it's a mistake, actually. I think it has something to do with the direction of resolving. The perpendicular of the wall thingy is point "away" from the wall, if you get my drift? But if you resolve the vector thingy perpendicular it kind of points perpendicular "into" the wall, get me? So you multiply be a negative sign or something I don't know?

ReputationRep:
    Ooor: I don't think it's a mistake, actually. I think it has something to do with the direction of resolving. The perpendicular of the wall thingy is point "away" from the wall, if you get my drift? But if you resolve the vector thingy perpendicular it kind of points perpendicular "into" the wall, get me? So you multiply be a negative sign or something I don't know?
    Oh. I was happy with the mistake.
    I think I'll ask someone from my school about this one.

ReputationRep:
    Oh. I was happy with the mistake.
    I think I'll ask someone from my school about this one.
    Haha, sorry for being so unhelpful. let me know what the person from your school says? I'd be interested in knowing.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, sorry for being so unhelpful. let me know what the person from your school says? I'd be interested in knowing.
    Will do.

ReputationRep:
    I've just done a similar question and it makes me think the last example had a mistake.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 23.41.19.png
Views: 49
Size:  229.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    I've just done a similar question and it makes me think the last example had a mistake.
    It's probably a mistake, then. Yay!

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand questions with a wall that isn't in the x or y-axis.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 22.07.41.png
Views: 105
Size:  223.1 KB
    I understand up to "(1/\sqrt2)(-i+j) is a unit vector perpendicular to the wall" but I do not know how to get the next line. Please could someone explain what is going on?

I know that the unit vector parallel to the wall is (1/\sqrt2)(i+j), and I am familiar with the dot product.
    The coefficient of restitution is only applied to the component of the velocity perpendicular to the wall (not the X and Y axis).

The dot product of the original vector and the unit vector parallel to the wall will give you the magnitude of the final velocity parallel to the wall. Then the scalar is multiplied with the unit vector parallel to the wall to find the final velocity parallel to the wall.

The same is done for the perpendicular velocity and it is also multiplied by the coefficient of restitution. Both vectors are added together to find the answer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.