Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm planning to go to uni this September (hopefully Strathclyde or Edinburgh) and have heard mixed experiences of living in halls. The majority of people have generally had a brilliant experience in halls but some have said it's been hellish for them. Just wondering if a few people could give some feedback on their experience of halls, flatmates and general social life in first year at uni?

ReputationRep:
    One does not simply not live in halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrPoopaLoopa)
    One does not simply not live in halls.
    trust me I want to! just curious before I apply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahralston)
    Hi everyone, I'm planning to go to uni this September (hopefully Strathclyde or Edinburgh) and have heard mixed experiences of living in halls. The majority of people have generally had a brilliant experience in halls but some have said it's been hellish for them. Just wondering if a few people could give some feedback on their experience of halls, flatmates and general social life in first year at uni?
    Honestly is massively depends on who you get put in a flat with and who you are as a person.

If you're someone who likes peace and quiet but gets put in a flat full of party animals who party every night chances are you're going to hate it.

if you're someone who loves to party but gets put in a flat with people who don't ever go out chances are you're not going to have much fun with those particular people.

Similarly if you're a clean person and get stuck with sewer trolls who don't know what fairy liquid is it'll be a bit of a nightmare.

Essentially halls is a mixed bag and you're never guaranteed to like living with the people you end up with, and that's why a lot of people choose to leave halls after first year to move in with (hopefully) like minded people.

I personally did not get along with a couple of my flatmates and sometimes they really made me hate halls, but on the other hand if I hadn't if lived in halls I wouldn't have met the friends I have now (who lived next door) and I wouldn't be living with them right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Honestly is massively depends on who you get put in a flat with and who you are as a person.

If you're someone who likes peace and quiet but gets put in a flat full of party animals who party every night chances are you're going to hate it.

if you're someone who loves to party but gets put in a flat with people who don't ever go out chances are you're not going to have much fun with those particular people.

Similarly if you're a clean person and get stuck with sewer trolls who don't know what fairy liquid is it'll be a bit of a nightmare.

Essentially halls is a mixed bag and you're never guaranteed to like living with the people you end up with, and that's why a lot of people choose to leave halls after first year to move in with (hopefully) like minded people.

I personally did not get along with a couple of my flatmates and sometimes they really made me hate halls, but on the other hand if I hadn't if lived in halls I wouldn't have met the friends I have now (who lived next door) and I wouldn't be living with them right now.
    Yeah who I'm put with is my main concern to be honest. But I've heard some unis do application questionnaires to match flatmates who are alike, not sure if this happens at the majority of unis though or if its just a select few?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahralston)
    Yeah who I'm put with is my main concern to be honest. But I've heard some unis do application questionnaires to match flatmates who are alike, not sure if this happens at the majority of unis though or if its just a select few?

I've only heard of a few unis doing that to be honest, most ask if you're undergraduate or postgraduate and sometimes what course you're on but that's about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.