The Student Room Group

Living in halls of residence

Hi everyone, I'm planning to go to uni this September (hopefully Strathclyde or Edinburgh) and have heard mixed experiences of living in halls. The majority of people have generally had a brilliant experience in halls but some have said it's been hellish for them. Just wondering if a few people could give some feedback on their experience of halls, flatmates and general social life in first year at uni?
One does not simply not live in halls.
Original post by MrPoopaLoopa
One does not simply not live in halls.

trust me I want to! just curious before I apply :smile:
Original post by hannahralston
Hi everyone, I'm planning to go to uni this September (hopefully Strathclyde or Edinburgh) and have heard mixed experiences of living in halls. The majority of people have generally had a brilliant experience in halls but some have said it's been hellish for them. Just wondering if a few people could give some feedback on their experience of halls, flatmates and general social life in first year at uni?

Honestly is massively depends on who you get put in a flat with and who you are as a person.

If you're someone who likes peace and quiet but gets put in a flat full of party animals who party every night chances are you're going to hate it.

if you're someone who loves to party but gets put in a flat with people who don't ever go out chances are you're not going to have much fun with those particular people.

Similarly if you're a clean person and get stuck with sewer trolls who don't know what fairy liquid is it'll be a bit of a nightmare.

Essentially halls is a mixed bag and you're never guaranteed to like living with the people you end up with, and that's why a lot of people choose to leave halls after first year to move in with (hopefully) like minded people.

I personally did not get along with a couple of my flatmates and sometimes they really made me hate halls, but on the other hand if I hadn't if lived in halls I wouldn't have met the friends I have now (who lived next door) and I wouldn't be living with them right now.
Original post by SophieSmall
Honestly is massively depends on who you get put in a flat with and who you are as a person.

If you're someone who likes peace and quiet but gets put in a flat full of party animals who party every night chances are you're going to hate it.

if you're someone who loves to party but gets put in a flat with people who don't ever go out chances are you're not going to have much fun with those particular people.

Similarly if you're a clean person and get stuck with sewer trolls who don't know what fairy liquid is it'll be a bit of a nightmare.

Essentially halls is a mixed bag and you're never guaranteed to like living with the people you end up with, and that's why a lot of people choose to leave halls after first year to move in with (hopefully) like minded people.

I personally did not get along with a couple of my flatmates and sometimes they really made me hate halls, but on the other hand if I hadn't if lived in halls I wouldn't have met the friends I have now (who lived next door) and I wouldn't be living with them right now.

Yeah who I'm put with is my main concern to be honest. But I've heard some unis do application questionnaires to match flatmates who are alike, not sure if this happens at the majority of unis though or if its just a select few?
Original post by hannahralston
Yeah who I'm put with is my main concern to be honest. But I've heard some unis do application questionnaires to match flatmates who are alike, not sure if this happens at the majority of unis though or if its just a select few?

I've only heard of a few unis doing that to be honest, most ask if you're undergraduate or postgraduate and sometimes what course you're on but that's about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending