Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    which one? any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Southampton.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge if you don't mind doing General Eng in the first two years.

Otherwise I recommend Surrey. Excellent EE department there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Cambridge if you don't mind doing General Eng in the first two years.

Otherwise I recommend Surrey. Excellent EE department there.
    what about imperial, UCL and manchester?

ReputationRep:
    Meh. I reccomend you go somewhere, where you shall be happy go visit lots of departments. Departments to visit:

Cambridge, Imperial, Bath, Bristol, Cardiff, Loughbrough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etomac)
    what about imperial, UCL and manchester?
    Nice too. But these are huge metropolitan universities whereas Surrey is smaller and not situated in a big city. Wanted to add some variety instead of just saying "Oh, go to Imperial" or "Go to UCL."

And arguably some of the work being done at Surrey in EE (e.g. satellites) has no comparison in the whole of Europe!

ReputationRep:
    (think you should become a mod, then I can hijack to my heart's content)

ReputationRep:
    Southampton - best EE dept. in the country

When I think EE, the universities that spring to mind are Southampton, Cambridge, York, Edinburgh, Loughborough and Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    When I think EE, the universities that spring to mind are Southampton, Cambridge, York, Edinburgh, Loughborough and Sheffield.
    People always forget that EE at Surrey is 5* rated and has been for a long time :rolleyes:

(Original post by shiny)
    People always forget that EE at Surrey is 5* rated and has been for a long time :rolleyes:
    They are also great for CS too!!! I think there is a correlation between CS and EE departments!!!

ReputationRep:
    thanx for the info guys, anymore suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    based on opinions i guest it is between surrey and southampton...
    is it true?

(Original post by zatie4)
    based on opinions i guest it is between surrey and southampton...
    is it true?
    If I were applying for EE with perfect grades etc... then my 6 would definitely be....Cambridge, Southampton, Edinburgh, Surrey, Sheffield and Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    If I were applying for EE with perfect grades etc... then my 6 would definitely be....Cambridge, Southampton, Edinburgh, Surrey, Sheffield and Manchester.
    why not UCL and Imperial

ReputationRep:
    why not UCL and Imperial
    Funnily enough Imperial isn't a 5* in this area (nor is UCL)

why not UCL and Imperial
    Perhaps you are not familiar with my aversion to studying in London. I admit that I will almost certainly be forced to work there at some point in the future but I'll be damned if I'm going to study there!!! Shame really, IC would have looked pretty nice on my CV. Also I think UCL has a better mech eng department that their EE one. Not sure about IC's EE department (although I'm sure its pretty sweet).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Funnily enough Imperial isn't a 5* in this area (nor is UCL)
    Well we can't be perfect at everything *sweeps shortcomings under the Imperial motifed carpet*

Leekey, as shiny said Imperial's EE dept only score a 5, yet they still ask for AAA, as opposed to AAB for my course. Must be all those uber clever malaysian students coming in...

Hmm, better get back to P4

ReputationRep:
    well for an oversea student (like me)

you pay so much to study oversea and you are basically looking for a good school, since you don't want to pay approximately the same for a worse university (talking about international reputation)

however, living and working is another issue that I will need to think about since I do not want to spend 3-4 years in a place I do not like : /

Actually it maybe easier to get scholarship if I have perfect grades and apply to a university that's not in the Russell Group : )

ReputationRep:
    anymore suggestions?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.