Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    I'm thinking of applying to do a degree course with the OU and am trying to work out to what extent I could obtain Student Finance.

    I completed an initial OU module a few years back that I self-funded and having checked my student record there's no indication that I registered for and counted this towards a specific qualification. I've also separately passed a vocational diploma at Level 5, again that was self-funded. I'm hoping I can get an exemption for 120 credits based on these 2 courses.

    However, whether I can get the exemption or not, I'm confused as to what impact these would have on any application for student finance. I get that if I applied to do a Diploma in Higher Education I wouldn't get finance as the vocational diploma is already at this level. However, if I applied to do an honours degree course would I get finance to cover all modules needed for the remaining 240 credits? Or potentially 360 credits if I don't get any exemptions?

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks All
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi ARoberts2

    If you did not receive a qualification, you can apply for help with the tuition fees for up to 16 years. If you gained a qualification, you can apply for funding as long as the new one is higher than the one you already hold.

What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.