Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The richesr people are not the most intelligent, how come?. watch

ReputationRep:
    Look at David Beckham, Mike Tyson or Jay - Z or Bradd pitt, or even many budinessmen.
    They are not math geniuses or proffesors at Oxbridge , and yet they are much richer than math geniuses or professors, how on earth can it be?.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Versatileshrimp)
    Look at David Beckham, Mike Tyson or Jay - Z or Bradd pitt, or even many budinessmen.
    They are not math geniuses or proffesors at Oxbridge , and yet they are much richer than math geniuses or professors, how on earth can it be?.
    Some dropped out of school. Richard Branston dropped out of high school at 14 and devoted his entire life to working on his own businesses. He sold them on, made millions and then went from there. Now look at him.

ReputationRep:
    They have different talents that you don't need to be clever to pursue? And the entertainment business pays more when you reach a certain level of success

ReputationRep:
    Look at Donald Trump.
    His political views aside, the guy is a billionaire.
    Now I am sure the guy doesn't invent new algorithms every other day, yet he is much richer than those who do...

I think the more intelligent someone is, the less they find accummulating wealth rewarding

ReputationRep:
    Being rich shouldn't just be for the most intelligent, that shouldn't even be a prerequisite being a maths professor doesn't necessarily make you more worthy of anything.

I mean what does the average maths professor at contribute to the wider world? Whereas an entertainer provides millions of people with entertainment.

This site needs to stop with it's intellectualism ****-riding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    I think the more intelligent someone is, the less they find accummulating wealth rewarding
    There is some truth to what you are saying.

Not many know that, but Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the british conputer scientist who invented the World Wide Web, i.e. the internet we all use today, he gave up the copyrights for that.
    The guy invented the internet he could
    have been the the richest person in the world by far.
    He could have been swimming in dollars.

ReputationRep:
    Academic intelligence doesn't usually make you rich.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    Being rich shouldn't just be for the most intelligent, that shouldn't even be a prerequisite being a maths professor doesn't necessarily make you more worthy of anything.

I mean what does the average maths professor at contribute to the wider world? Whereas an entertainer provides millions of people with entertainment.

That's a pretty naive view to take. Just because the general public doesn't understand how academia contributes to the world doesn't mean it doesn't. A lot of academic work that might seem "pointless" to the uninformed actually underpins or contributes to very important things. Even the most abstract and theoretical parts of mathematics can have huge relevance to things like computer science. Number theory, for instance, might seem to be completely irrelevant to the reality of human life but in fact, it's fundamental to encryption, something the world totally relies on.

ReputationRep:
    Let me first tell you.
    If you have high financial IQ you will never ever be poor in your lifetime.
    Mike Tyson is not intelligent, but he was very good at something, in the end he got used and abused for his talent because he was stupid. The intelligent people were the ones who abused him.
    That Donald Trump you're talking about is infact extremely intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    Monetisation makes you money
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You don't have to be very intelligent to be business-minded. Being business-minded & driven = rich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    That's a pretty naive view to take. Just because the general public doesn't understand how academia contributes to the world doesn't mean it doesn't. A lot of academic work that might seem "pointless" to the uninformed actually underpins or contributes to very important things. Even the most abstract and theoretical parts of mathematics can have huge relevance to things like computer science.
    Hence why I said average, I doubt every single one is doing some ground-breaking work.

Also who is to decide that the professor is the most important in this chain? What about the wealthy business person who helps fund them?

Why are they not respected for their smart business skills.

Why intelligence? Why not muscle? Notice how all these top scientists tend to be so scrawny, it's so unfair how so of the most swole body builders work out every day but they can't even be Physics professors at Cambridge, how is that possible?

ReputationRep:

So you are saying that Beckham and Jay -Z have contributed more to the world than a maths proffesor?.

ReputationRep:
    If you think in such closed off and ignorant ways to assume that a higher wealth must correlate with a need to have a higher intelligence, the starting point that you are at with regards to a desire you probably have to improve your financial situation must sadly be a fair bit from where it ought to be as some degree of independent thinking and being able to see through obviously erroneous trains of thinking are required.

Put as simply as it needs to be - the economy is what it is and it isn't what it isn't and what you think it is or think it should be. It pays footballers the salaries that it can, maths professors the salaries that it can and simple business principles tell you why it does this. Intelligence has nothing to do with it, getting into the right field and taking the right action, whatever that may be, to earn the big money when the opportunity to do so presents itself is the eternal precursor as a general rule to wealth creation, existing within an industry which pays a set salary as an eternal maxim of what it's expenditures on overhead can only ever be and not moving out of it renders your intelligence in terms of what it will get you monetarily as finite, to the tune of your net income AFTER tax

ReputationRep:
    So you are saying that Beckham and Jay -Z have contributed more to the world than a maths proffesor?.
    In terms of money and entertainment hours, definitely, without a doubt.

I mean what you class as a contribution is entirely subjective, what a Professor teaches a couple thousand kids in their life time?

How many people do Beyonce and Jay-Z reach?

How would you justify a Maths professor earning more than Beyonce? That would be insanely ridiculous, who would pay for that?

You're saying someone should get tens of millions of pounds to do a job that tons of people do?

ReputationRep:
    In terms of money and entertainment hours, definitely, without a doubt.

I mean what you class as a contribution is entirely subjective, what a Professor teaches a couple thousand kids in their life time?

How many people do Beyonce and Jay-Z reach?

How would you justify a Maths professor earning more than Beyonce? That would be insanely ridiculous, who would pay for that?

You're saying someone should get tens of millions of pounds to do a job that tons of people do?
    Maths professors in my opinion should get more money than jay-z or beyonce, because they are more intelligent than them.

ReputationRep:
    Do not be silly ...
    Intelligent people are rich where it matters ... the brain!
    We come to this world naked and we leave naked (or perhaps not quite naked but with at most some clothes)

ReputationRep:

lol

ReputationRep:
    Maths professors in my opinion should get more money than jay-z or beyonce, because they are more intelligent than them.
    You are clearly the least intelligent out of all of them, do you get how money works?

How could we possibly afford to pay Maths professors that much money each? Think of hierarchies like a pyramid, the more replaceable you are generally, the less you can get paid.

It would create such an extreme disparity in the job market if professors were getting paid tens of million a year, which is frankly stupidly insane considering I don't think anyone just gets that much doing salaried work.

Why would anyone bother doing any of the other regular jobs when there's one that just happens to pay several million, but you ask why don't people do that with becoming a musician?

Because it's far less accessible, there are far less 'super-star' celebrities on the same level as Beyonce than there are maths professors.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.