Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The richesr people are not the most intelligent, how come?. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Versatileshrimp)
    Look at David Beckham, Mike Tyson or Jay - Z or Bradd pitt, or even many budinessmen.
    They are not math geniuses or proffesors at Oxbridge , and yet they are much richer than math geniuses or professors, how on earth can it be?.
    being business saavy is not the same as being academically gifted. certainly some of the most successful businessmen and women in the world are undoutably intelligent, but by no means geniuses. what probably makes them stand out is their determination and willingness to work harder than the next guy. and of course a bit of luck - richard branson was bankrput before he became a multi millionaire.

the other category are the idiots that luck into money, mainly by being gifted it ( donald trump). and those in sports and media that until maybe the last 50 years didnt really earn the lievls that they do now. although thier earnings is very much trend oriented and they are at mercy of public opinion - ie if premier league football falls out of favour at some point, all the tv money etc will drain out of it.

ReputationRep:
    To illustrate my point look at every goddamm company in the world.

Who makes the most money?.
    The engineer who grueled through a rigorous and math heavy engineering degree, and who actually invente new products for the company?.

No it's the CEO who studied a crappy business degree, and who plays golf all day with other CEO's , while the engineer is busy inventing new products the company can make money of.

It reminds me of the army.
    Who gets the credit?. Is it the soldiers who risk their lives dodging bullets from terrorists, or is it the general who sits in an air conditioned room?!?.

Do any of you remember one of Napoleon Bonaparte's soldiers names?.
    No you remember Napoleon.
    Who sat in his palace all day and recieved blow-jobs from fat maids while his soldiers were freezing to death in russia.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    They are certainly above average in intellectual intelligence but you don't need to be a genius to get rich. It's a combination of emotional intelligence, business savvy, drive, tenacity and complete and utter one-mindedness towards hitting goals.

And of course, luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think you are only putting value in one type of intelligence, business acumen is just as valid as mathematical knowledge. All those people you mentioned are just as smart as the professors and researchers they are just intelligent in different ways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinemither)
    Some dropped out of school. Richard Branston dropped out of high school at 14 and devoted his entire life to working on his own businesses. He sold them on, made millions and then went from there. Now look at him.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    i do not regret the twenty minutes i spent to make this
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Aren't they in the entertainment business or something? I mean, really, who are you more likely to pay money to see ? A singer, or a mathematician?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Versatileshrimp)
    Look at David Beckham, Mike Tyson or Jay - Z or Bradd pitt, or even many budinessmen.
    They are not math geniuses or proffesors at Oxbridge , and yet they are much richer than math geniuses or professors, how on earth can it be?.
    Because they have a unique talent.. doesn't take a genius to work that out. Smart people get 9-5 office jobs, thats the sad truth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe how little luck has been mentioned. Being rich is 95% luck. You just don't hear about the unfortunate ones.

ReputationRep:
    Some people are business minded, others aren't. Being smart doesn't make you rich, owning a successful business however can. I'm taking one business based module atm in my degree and we basically have to submit a business plan at the end. The people lecturing us are people who have started businesses, ran businesses and sold businesses sometimes for multiple millions. The sort of stuff they talk about has just made me realise how I'm really not business minded - like if an idea comes to my head I'd have no clue how it'd make money whereas a lot of these guys seem to know how a thing will make the money before it becomes an idea. It's just a different mindset imo. Also it's one I can't imagine having, like a lot of business models are made to intentionally take money from consumers and almost turn them into zombies - for example smartphones, a lot of the time people don't need the latest smart phone but they will still go buy it because they don't want to be behind and they want the latest thing. They've literally been trained to want the latest thing and it has become almost a guaranteed recurring source of income for companies like apple. I just can't imagine wanting to create a business model intended on making consumers spend their money periodically just to keep my own pockets full of cash. So basically I'd care about innovation but making money just isn't something at the front of my mind. In that respect I'd rather become a poor but intelligent and creative academic than a rich one - because in reality you'd have to have a business mindset to become rich out of something academic, and it's something I don't have or think I'd want.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.