Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hello!

1) I get my Bachelors in May 2018, when should I apply for training contract? Now???

2) after training contract what are the chances to secure a permanent job? after securing a permanent job, how easy is to rise the ladder? what is the typical career progression?

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studos)
    hello!

1) I get my Bachelors in May 2018, when should I apply for training contract? Now???

2) after training contract what are the chances to secure a permanent job? after securing a permanent job, how easy is to rise the ladder? what is the typical career progression?

thanks!
    1) if you are a non-law student, you'd be applying from this Autumn onwards for 2019/2020 training contacts

2) depends on the firm. Typically it's about 80% of trainees will be kept on at average. You could qualify and guns work with another firm though upon qualification.

Progression again depends on the firm. This is a huge generalisation, but usually 5-7+ years until you get to a senior associate and then the same time again until you make partner. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to climb the ladder, probably combined with some luck and keeping the right people on side.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    why for 2019 contracts? Why not 2018?

ReputationRep:
    why for 2019 contracts? Why not 2018?
    Actually the earliest you could start in 2020.

You graduate in 2018.

The earliest you can start the GDL is September 2018. That will run through to June 2019.

You then need to do the LPC. Earliest you could start that is August/September 2019. The earliest it would finish is February 2020, but many wouldn't finish until June 2020. Meaning you could start a TC in either Feb/March or August/September 2020.

You will need to keep an eye on how the qualification process changes. There are plans to change the route into becoming a lawyer, and it's likely to start around the time you are looking to start a TC.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    what changes are these? what do we know for now?

ReputationRep:
    what changes are these? what do we know for now?
    You really need to do your own research. Google "solicitor super exam" or SQE.

The SRA are looking to change the qualification process with what's being called the SQE (Solicitors Qualification Exam). It means the LPC could be scrapped/replaced, and it's likely there will also be an exam at the end of the equivalent of the training contract. No one knows how exactly it will turn out yet, it's still in a consultation period at the moment, and any changes are unlikely to take place for at least another 2-3 years minimum, and that's if the proposals are actually agreed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    depends on you too; I know a lot of people who work at big City firms now as associates/5 years pqe who have no desire to become partners due to perceived sacrifices involved, so its up to you how you priorities your work/life balance and what opportunities you wish to pursue.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.