Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel like a failure...help? (my story) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnkz7)
    Have very similar grades, pulled of 6 B's and 4 C's at the end of Year 11.
    Was very disappointed, but not surprised as I hardly revised for anything and
    coming from an area where education wasn't looked upon and didn't really mean much to get out of the hood
    (i.e. you know what I mean when you're from the ghetto)

But anyway, you shouldn't feel disheartened as you did pretty well. You passed the first hurdle, now the tough bit really starts, you'll meet people who don't give a toss about AS year but reality will kick in after they have only a year left to make up for lost time. That's literally impossible. Therefore the hard work starts here on in, I didn't know what I wanted to do hence my GCSE grades were lacking but I know I'm much better than that. If I want to study CompSci at Uni, I best make the grade and personal statement good to get into on of my choices.

So in short, do what I do and stay committed to working hard. You'll get to anywhere you want to be if you only believe in yourself my friend.
    Thank you so so much and I will stay committed you helped me massively!!

(Original post by Ihonestlydk)
    So I'm currently studying A-Levels now and I just keep comparing myself to others thinking I'm completely stupid, not smart, a failure, not going to get anywhere in life!
    My GCSE grades for starters were terrible as I associated myself with the wrong group of people, no matter how much revision I do (I literally did so much non stop) I would come out with a terrible grade!
    My GCSE grades are as follows:
    Maths-B
    English Lit-B
    English Lan-C
    French-C
    Statistics- B
    Additional Science-B
    Core Science-C
    Music-B
    Sociology-D (Hated the subject, didn't find any interest)
    ICT-D (Same as Sociology)
    Geography-D (Didn't have a teacher for a whole entire year until 2 weeks before the exam)
    PE-E (Teacher messed up my entire coursework and lied to me!)
    ECDL-D*
    Thats D*BBBBBCCCDDDE (Thats terrible and embarrassing)

Now I'm studying Psychology AQA A level, BTEC Level 3 Business (Chose this because it was equal to 2 A levels instead of 1 like Business A Level) and Core Maths (It was to help me with Psychology as it requires Maths- however I didn't choose this subject). I'm doing very well at the moment I'm predicted a D*D*B however I'm aiming for an A in Psychology as I have interest in the subject and would love to study Psychology at University!!

I just feel like my GCSE are the only alternative and possibly the BTEC that is stopping me and causing me to feel like a failure and I feel like they may stop me from getting into any University or even a job! I don't know

During my GCSE periods I've had so much pressure from my parents too as they shout and tell me "You best do good in your exam or we'll have problems" and this would terrify me!

I'm just in this state where I'm so upset and don't know what to do anymore! Any suggestions?
    right my avarage grade was an ei have just purchased 5 genuine rolexes for my business start upso grades don mean anythingwhat you need is to be motivated and drivenand that will do a huge amount i spend spent my research days planning and working to start my business and now I'm doing great i have a contract with a gold trader on batch of mixed style, length and purity gold chain totalling 5kg on memo at 40% commission (the melt would be at least £50k and the retail is more than double that)

ReputationRep:
    I'll be sure to pm you and mine is a level 3 Business BTEC they told us it was equal to 2 A levels plus I'm doing A Level psychology.
    Nice one! Do you know what kind of level 3 BTEC it is? I thought level 3 was 3 a levels, unless there are different types of qualifications within the level 3 group (say, that count as 2 rather than 3).

ReputationRep:
    There is more to life than the Russel group tbh

No one has "Russel Group alumni written on their grave stone lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    Nice one! Do you know what kind of level 3 BTEC it is? I thought level 3 was 3 a levels, unless there are different types of qualifications within the level 3 group (say, that count as 2 rather than 3).
    I'm doing the diploma Level 3 BTEC Business which is equal to 2 whereas Extended project or triple health and social care are equal to 3 A Levels. Only reason I chose the BTEC L3 Business was because it was equal to 2 A levels, so I'll get more out of it than me choosing A level business Other than that I would have been doing 3 full A Levels instead I'm doing 1 A Level and a BTEC equal to 2 A levels making it 3 in total along with an AS.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the diploma Level 3 BTEC Business which is equal to 2 whereas Extended project or triple health and social care are equal to 3 A Levels. Only reason I chose the BTEC L3 Business was because it was equal to 2 A levels, so I'll get more out of it than me choosing A level business Other than that I would have been doing 3 full A Levels instead I'm doing 1 A Level and a BTEC equal to 2 A levels making it 3 in total along with an AS.
    Nice one.
    Should be all good getting into to a uni for psychology. Can be an interesting course

ReputationRep:
    Nice one.
    Should be all good getting into to a uni for psychology. Can be an interesting course
    You did Psychology, right? Where did you studying it? I want to do it at Manchester or York or Liverpool?

ReputationRep:
    You did Psychology, right? Where did you studying it? I want to do it at Manchester or York or Liverpool?
    I studied it at a middle table uni - didn't get in to the red brick of my city, and wanted to stay home to save money. I remember not having the GCSE maths at a B for Manchester or York, but I did get accepted into the University of Liverpool (though declined).

When choosing the uni, be sure to choose somewhere you think you will be happy for 3+ years rather than anything to do with league tables, as long as teaching to a good standard. Psychology is a highly regulated degree course so not that much between uni variation as far as I know.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a tutor in a good sixth form college. The posts here are correct. GCSE results are far less important for universities and employers than A Level results. You need to think realistically about what you can get from A Levels and then look for courses that interest you that ask for those kind of grades. Hopefully there is a careers department in your school/college that can help with this?
    Worst case scenario, access courses can help get you onto the uni course you want. Or a foundation year bolted on to the course you want to do.

You should never feel a failure. Parents do put pressure on, usually with the right intentions but it can make life very difficult. My advice would be to focus on doing this for you, not them. Most parents when they find out the effect of their actions on their young people are horrified, reacting with 'but I never meant that they were a failure!' or 'I was only trying to encourage!' You sound like a pretty screwed on individual with the right attitude - you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I studied it at a middle table uni - didn't get in to the red brick of my city, and wanted to stay home to save money. I remember not having the GCSE maths at a B for Manchester or York, but I did get accepted into the University of Liverpool (though declined).

When choosing the uni, be sure to choose somewhere you think you will be happy for 3+ years rather than anything to do with league tables, as long as teaching to a good standard. Psychology is a highly regulated degree course so not that much between uni variation as far as I know.
    What GCSE grades did you have?

ReputationRep:
    What GCSE grades did you have?
    I can't remember mate, they really aren't important past those few B's in Maths, English, and possibly science.
    Think it was BB in English and History, C in other subjects, and D in Chemistry.

Doing MSc clinical neuroscience atm

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember mate, they really aren't important past those few B's in Maths, English, and possibly science.
    Think it was BB in English and History, C in other subjects, and D in Chemistry.

Doing MSc clinical neuroscience atm
    Wow well done! What did you do for A Levels?

ReputationRep:
    Wow well done! What did you do for A Levels?
    My background:

AS levels: C, D, and E in English, History and Sports respectively.
    BTEC (level 3 extended or whatever they're called - 3 a levels) in Sports Science (all distinctions luckily)
    Then the BSc Psychology

ReputationRep:
    My background:

AS levels: C, D, and E in English, History and Sports respectively.
    BTEC (level 3 extended or whatever they're called - 3 a levels) in Sports Science (all distinctions luckily)
    Then the BSc Psychology
    Wow that is amazing! What University? You gave me hope and I'll honestly try my hardest to get the grades I want, whatever it takes. Im aiming for a D*D*A but D*D*B is alright too, I guess

ReputationRep:
    So I'm currently studying A-Levels now and I just keep comparing myself to others thinking I'm completely stupid, not smart, a failure, not going to get anywhere in life!
    before the exam)
    I'm just in this state where I'm so upset and don't know what to do anymore! Any suggestions?
    Hey. I got 6A* and 6A at GCSE. I didn't apply for any remarks because my parents weren't willing to pay for it, while I watched my friends go up 2/3 A* after remarking. This meant that my 'score' was very average for my school's standards.
    After this I tried really hard for my AS exams and got AAAA(a) with 94% average UMS, and 100% UMS in all my maths and further maths (FP1) modules. This got me really happy, finally I was recognised in my school, and my dreams of studying at Cambridge or Imperial would have a strong chance of holding true.
    No. I got rejected by both Imperial and Cambridge on the same day, which really made me feel like a sack of s***. I feel worthless, like a flame that has just been extinguished and is no longer needed anymore. It sounds cocky, but people who put way less effort than me into their AS levels will be doing the same course as me. What if I did get my predicted grades of A*A*A*A(a), was it worth it?
    Its petty, arrogant etc. Which only makes it worse, since I can't confess to anyone how I'm feeling without being portrayed as a ****.
    So in short, even if you got straight As, it would make no difference.

ReputationRep:
    Wow that is amazing! What University? You gave me hope and I'll honestly try my hardest to get the grades I want, whatever it takes. Im aiming for a D*D*A but D*D*B is alright too, I guess
    Glad it has given you hope, was my intention.
    I went to Sheffield Hallam, as I'm from Sheffield and the campus is relatively close and very nice (situated near parks and a main shop/food district).

Still there doing the masters degree. I would recommend it in all, been a relatively good experience.

Keep at it and you'll do well

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.