Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do ASMR people have a mental problem? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I just came across some 'ASMR' channels on Youtube, and found it pretty weird. It makes me wonder, do these people just sit alone in their room for hours stroking a box or something?

ReputationRep:
    No, I think a more serious problem would be judging someone for their personal preference that have no effect on anyone else

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a bit unusual, but in a cool way. Some sounds can be very pleasant. Lord knows what you make of people with actual mental problems!

ReputationRep:
    No, they don't. How do you suggest they'll get the sounds from the objects without actually touching them? By the way, ASMR is the best thing ever for people who suffer from insomnia or any other issues.

ReputationRep:
    While it seems strange at first, you'd be surprised by the amount of people it can help. Many people that watch these types of videos use them to destress, lower anxiety and even use them to sleep. Some of the content creators have gone on to create videos to help people deal with stress, depression and anxiety, even addiction to alcohol and drugs, dealing with the loss of a loved one, going through a breakup, and even dealing with cancer. These topics aren't easy to deal with and can be really helpful for those who don't feel the time is right to ask others for help.
    There is a high demand from the "ASMR community" for the artists to make all types of videos for what reason/s. I commend the artists on their work, especially when some of the topics are so difficult to speak about.

ReputationRep:
    I love it so much tho, if that makes me mental where my disability allowance @ µ_µ

No but seriously, the ones with fans in the background and low sound of traffic + slight rustling and murmur reminds me of afternoons of falling asleep watching Kim Possible on the sofa while waiting for my mum to finish cooking after coming back from school. Best cure for insomnia.

ReputationRep:
    Nope!
    ASMR is really good!

ReputationRep:
    holy mother of bumps

Honestly tho I've watched a bunch of 45 minute ASMR videos all the way through and I'm still not sure why I watch them or if I even like them.

ReputationRep:
    Wtf is ASMR?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Souljer)
    Wtf is ASMR?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, basically it's like a tingling sensation when you hear certain noises, or someone speaks to you in a soft manner.

ReputationRep:
    No. Some of them are very soothing actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLouSmart)
    Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, basically it's like a tingling sensation when you hear certain noises, or someone speaks to you in a soft manner.
    Thats nuts iv had that before.. But randomly..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Souljer)
    Thats nuts iv had that before.. But randomly..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Most people do have it, usually when they are young, like going to the hair salon to get a haircut is usually a "trigger". It's actually pretty interesting, each person has specific things that will trigger them to get the tingley shivers, but more pleasant. At least that's how I describe it
    I think some scientists are trying to find out more about it, because at the moment so little is known about it, obviously it isn't harmful, but no one or at least I don't actually know what causes it, I just enjoy it! 😊✌🏻️👍🏻

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No they don't have a mental health problem. Reacting to noises is a completely natural thing. Even animals find a soothing voice relaxing. I love watching Bob Ross's watercolour painting TV show, because he talks in a really soothing, calming voice. I can be feeling really stressed and he makes me feel more relaxed.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...22&FORM=VRDGAR

It's wonderful to listen to him as he paints really beautiful scenery.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.