Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where do you normally draw the line between banter and straight up bullying? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Before you ask, no. This isn't about me personally, maybe a few years ago though. But I've seen this happen in other people and films for instance.

I was just watching The Bad Education Movie where Jack Whitehall is clearly being bullied and used by his ex high school friends but he sees it as banter until it's too late.

What are your opinions?

ReputationRep:
    Banter is when everyone is having a light chuckle.
    Bullying is when only one side is having a laugh.

ReputationRep:
    Banter is not actually wanting to hurt the person you're jokingly insulting, bullying is quite the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    When you don't include, #BanterNotBullying.

ReputationRep:
    When the other guy is so distraught that he makes a post on TSR about how he wants to end his life and drop out of school and leave home and

ReputationRep:
    When the comments become personal and malicious. I always thought the characters in Friends were more bullies than friends to each other because their banter is really rude and malicious at times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vixen47)
    When the comments become personal and malicious. I always thought the characters in Friends were more bullies than friends to each other because their banter is really rude and malicious at times.
    This and when a group of people start targeting one person and then claim its only banter

Id also agree with GUMI tbh
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    When it becomes malicious / the other person takes it too far, really.

Kind of this discussion with a friend last year. He's one of these who just sees sarcasm / jokes in almost everything. He once said something to me and I took it completely the wrong way and thought he was being rude. He then explains what he really means, that he thought he knew me well enough that he could get away with that and that you can't go around saying that to people you don't know that well.

ReputationRep:
    when you start to hurt the persons feelings.

ReputationRep:
    When someone ends up in a hospital.

ReputationRep:
    when the person stops finding it funny, which is different for everybody

ReputationRep:
    When the person receiving the banter is quiet and doesn't come back is usually the sign for me to stop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longshot700)
    Before you ask, no. This isn't about me personally, maybe a few years ago though. But I've seen this happen in other people and films for instance.

I was just watching The Bad Education Movie where Jack Whitehall is clearly being bullied and used by his ex high school friends but he sees it as banter until it's too late.

What are your opinions?
    Consent.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.