Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do those who commit suicide default to hell? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Do those who commit suicide default to hell according to the Christian Faith.

This was an interesting point brought up within a video I was watching (linked below) in which a well known author and Christian, Ravi Zacharias, summarised that according to the Christian faith, taking your own life is equivalent to taking anyone else's life in Gods eyes. He uses the quote -

Genesis 9:6
    “Whoever sheds human blood,
    by humans shall their blood be shed;
    for in the image of God
    has God made mankind.

I would be interested to hear if you agree with his view on this

Many Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTtUokBshW4
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The official teaching of the Roman Catholic Church is as follows below:

Suicide
    2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.
    2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.
    2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.
    Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.
    2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

Source: Catechism of the Catholic Church, as taken from this Vatican website:
    http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_cs...m/p3s2c2a5.htm

Note the bits I have put in bold :yes:

Other denominations/religions may differ in their opinions/teachings/doctrine :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    The official teaching of the Roman Catholic Church is as follows below:

Suicide
    2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.
    2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.
    2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.
    Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.
    2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

Source: Catechism of the Catholic Church, as taken from this Vatican website:
    http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_cs...m/p3s2c2a5.htm

Note the bits I have put in bold :yes:

Other denominations/religions may differ in their opinions/teachings/doctrine :yes:
    So am I correct in summarising that to be that suicide is considered murder if it is done as an act of martyrdom or example setting. However if its done as a result of psychosis then they are exempt from responsibility, and will therefore will not be punished.

Just to speak a little more on a point brought up, you mention that life is considered sacred and it is our duty to protect it, and yet the Catholic church is the leading power that pushes the banning of contraception, leading to a greater number of abortions(something else it opposes) but also to a great increase in the number of cases of AIDS. Surely if they consider life sacred then they would do all they can to prevent the spread of a disease that is so detrimental to health/life. As opposed to banning certain items that can prevent the spread of it.

But I really appreciate the detailed reply, many thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Berrers)
    So am I correct in summarising that to be that suicide is considered murder if it is done as an act of martyrdom or example setting. However if its done as a result of psychosis then they are exempt from responsibility, and will therefore will not be punished.
    The first sentence is correct. The second sentence is not quite, since you're presuming they definitely won't be punished. Whereas what the Catechism essentially says is, that we don't know where they go :iiam:

Just to speak a little more on a point brought up, you mention that life is considered sacred and it is our duty to protect it, and yet the Catholic church is the leading power that pushes the banning of contraception, leading to a greater number of abortions(something else it opposes) but also to a great increase in the number of cases of AIDS. Surely if they consider life sacred then they would do all they can to prevent the spread of a disease that is so detrimental to health/life. As opposed to banning certain items that can prevent the spread of it.

But I really appreciate the detailed reply, many thanks
    I did not mention that life is considered sacred and it is our duty to protect it, per se - I merely copied and pasted the Catechism So if you have beef with the Catholic Church and expect me to speak on behalf of it, you have misjudged

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    The first sentence is correct. The second sentence is not quite, since you're presuming they definitely won't be punished. Whereas what the Catechism essentially says is, that we don't know where they go :iiam:

I did not mention that life is considered sacred and it is our duty to protect it, per se - I merely copied and pasted the Catechism So if you have beef with the Catholic Church and expect me to speak on behalf of it, you have misjudged
    Ahaha okay, I will take that question elsewhere then many thanks for the reply though

ReputationRep:
    in islam faith, Suicide is big sin.............dont do that

Killing your self same with killing one innocent soul

human soul is holy and sacred

suicide people will experience bad time loop in afterlife

Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “Whoever purposely throws himself from a mountain and kills himself, will be in the (Hell) Fire falling down into it and abiding therein perpetually forever; and whoever drinks poison and kills himself with it, he will be carrying his poison in his hand and drinking it in the (Hell) Fire wherein he will abide eternally forever; and whoever kills himself with an iron weapon, will be carrying that weapon in his hand and stabbing his abdomen with it in the (Hell) Fire wherein he will abide eternally forever.”
    Sahih Al-Bukhari – Book 71 Hadith 670

There was amongst those before you a man who had a wound. He was in [such] anguish that he took a knife and made with it a cut in his hand, and the blood did not cease to flow till he died. Allah the Almighty said: My servant has himself forestalled Me; I have forbidden him Paradise.
    Hadith Qudsi – 28

ReputationRep:
    Do those who commit suicide default to hell according to the Christian Faith.

This was an interesting point brought up within a video I was watching (linked below) in which a well known author and Christian, Ravi Zacharias, summarised that according to the Christian faith, taking your own life is equivalent to taking anyone else's life in Gods eyes. He uses the quote -

Genesis 9:6
    “Whoever sheds human blood,
    by humans shall their blood be shed;
    for in the image of God
    has God made mankind.

I would be interested to hear if you agree with his view on this

Many Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTtUokBshW4

This view is shared even through the Islamic society
    Even though people come up with that their body is their body
    How is it? God created you, so technically your body does not belong to you it belongs to God, in which one day we will all be resurrected and judged together
    We should end our own life as only God as that control and decision

We believe that those who decide to end their own life, will be in that state till the day of judgement as we believe that the way people have lived on this earth is how we will be resurrected

So yeah would believe that committing suicide will lead you to hell

Even though a purpose may be put through stress as the saying goes "God does not burden a soul beyond that it can bear"

ReputationRep:
    No they escape hell :innocent:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahira__)
    This view is shared even through the Islamic society
    Even though people come up with that their body is their body
    How is it? God created you, so technically your body does not belong to you it belongs to God, in which one day we will all be resurrected and judged together
    We should end our own life as only God as that control and decision

We believe that those who decide to end their own life, will be in that state till the day of judgement as we believe that the way people have lived on this earth is how we will be resurrected

So yeah would believe that committing suicide will lead you to hell

Even though a purpose may be put through stress as the saying goes "God does not burden a soul beyond that it can bear"
    So by going by the idea that our bodies are not our own because they belong to God for he created us, does that not also effect our free will? Our free will according to the bible was granted to man by God, so surely we have no true ownership over our own free will, doesn't this negate the idea of free will itself?

ReputationRep:
    So by going by the idea that our bodies are not our own because they belong to God for he created us, does that not also effect our free will? Our free will according to the bible was granted to man by God, so surely we have no true ownership over our own free will, doesn't this negate the idea of free will itself?
    We do have free will
    Especially compared to other of gods creation such as the Angels in which they do not have free will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahira__)
    We do have free will
    Especially compared to other of gods creation such as the Angels in which they do not have free will
    :no:

(Original post by tumshie)
    This is the point. There are no "conscious free agents" in Islam. And it's not a different issue at all. If nothing happens except what Allah wills, then you don't have free will. You cant will anything, but what he wills you to do, thats even without him being omniscient, the fact that he is omniscient, just compounds the fact that you have no free will!

Even your own link makes this clear.

"Your Lord creates what He wants, chooses what He wills. They do not have the right to choose.) [Al-Qasas 68]"

"(It is Allah who creates you and what you do.) [As-Saffat 96]"

Therefore anything that you perceive to be free will, is nothing more than an illusion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Dhul-Qarnayn)
    Indeed. The mufassir Ibn Kathir makes this clear in his interpretation of 37:96 --

"(While Allah has created you and what you make!) This may mean, `Allah has created you and what you do;' or it may mean, `Allah has created you and what you make.' Both views are synonymous. The former is more apparent because of the report recorded by Al-Bukhari in the Book Af`al Al-`Ibad from Hudhayfah, attributed to the Prophet : (Allah has created every doer of deeds and what he does.) Thereupon he recited: (While Allah has created you and what you make!)"

More:

Spoiler:
    Show
    “While Allah has created you and what you make” (As-Saaffaat 37:96)

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Allah has made every doer and what he does.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari in Khalq Af’aal al-‘Ibaad (25) and by Ibn Abi ‘Aasim in al-Sunnah (257 and 358); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Saheehah, 1637.

Shaykh Ibn Sa’di (may Allah have mercy on him) said: Just as Allah is the One Who created them – meaning people – He has also created that by means of which they act, namely their abilities and will, then they do various actions of obedience and sin, by the abilities and will which Allah has created. (al-Durrah al-Bahiyyah Sharh al-Qaseedah al-Taa’iyyah, p. 18).

http://www.islamicislamic.com/fate_or_qadr.htm

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.