The Student Room Group

Accidentally applied to crap universities

So I am an American and I didn't discover the league tables until this evening. I made the stupid assumption that your university system was similar to our public universities and just picked areas of the country I thought looked fun/pretty thinking they were all of similar quality. Big mistake apparently, I've used all 5 spaces on universities sitting from the ass-level to the toe-level of the tables.

I've applied to Southampton Solent, London South Bank, Salford, and my best ranked being Winchester.

I actually have medium-high grades in my school system and could easily have done "better" so this is why I feel like I've made terrible choices. Is there anything nice anyone can say about these unis/areas so I can feel something other than dread at the idea of waiting another year to go to uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You could try UCAS Extra if you're unhappy with the courses you have chosen.
You can go for adjustment I think meaning you reject any offers you get an reapply to higher ranked unis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by AccountingBabe
You can go for adjustment I think meaning you reject any offers you get an reapply to higher ranked unis

Posted from TSR Mobile

Adjustment is where, on results day, you do better than your conditional offer and have the option to apply for a better course, otherwise you will go back to your firm choice, so slightly different.
Unfortunately I will need to stick with one of these offers due to the cost of securing a visa and finding financing before I apply for that visa and finishing up my divorce and whatnot. Waiting for decisions last minute isn't exactly an option :/
Original post by CandyFandomGirl
Unfortunately I will need to stick with one of these offers due to the cost of securing a visa and finding financing before I apply for that visa and finishing up my divorce and whatnot. Waiting for decisions last minute isn't exactly an option :/

Try UCAS extra instead, reject all your choices and apply for a course at a better uni (if you want to)

I would seriously suggest UCAS extra then as your universities are really not worth the hassle or money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Which subject do you want to study?
Original post by SonicYoof
Which subject do you want to study?

I planned on studying comedy since you guys blow American comedy out of the water. Stand-up is my passion but only Salford and Winchester offered courses. Of course, Performance degrees can encompass stand-up if you structure electives properly, so I'm open to them as well.
Reply 9
So I am an American and I didn't discover the league tables until this evening. I made the stupid assumption that your university system was similar to our public universities and just picked areas of the country I thought looked fun/pretty thinking they were all of similar quality. Big mistake apparently, I've used all 5 spaces on universities sitting from the ass-level to the toe-level of the tables.

I've applied to Southampton Solent, London South Bank, Salford, and my best ranked being Winchester.

I actually have medium-high grades in my school system and could easily have done "better" so this is why I feel like I've made terrible choices. Is there anything nice anyone can say about these unis/areas so I can feel something other than dread at the idea of waiting another year to go to uni?

surely usa has league tables too, ivy league an all that
Original post by Chakede
surely usa has league tables too, ivy league an all that

There are nearly 3,000 universities in the US. If you aren't going to the 8 Ivies or 10 sub-Ivies there is almost no point looking for any sort of ranking.
I planned on studying comedy since you guys blow American comedy out of the water. Stand-up is my passion but only Salford and Winchester offered courses. Of course, Performance degrees can encompass stand-up if you structure electives properly, so I'm open to them as well.

Please don't waste your money. A degree in comedy won't teach you how to be funny. You either are, or you aren't. I know a lot of performing arts graduates and they are all making their money these days by working behind bars or waiting on tables.
(edited 8 years ago)
If you can teach acting and you can teach painting, you can teach parts of comedy. Not only are there stage skills that can be taught, there is a business side to it. And frankly I didn't ask for your opinion on my degree choice. Seeing as how I don't take up UK student places, I pay extra fees that benefit the whole university, I have to pay normal student living costs, and my part time job will be taxed just the same as yours but with no access to the benefits it feeds in to...yeah, net positive effect to your country. It's not about money afterward any way, it's about skill development and industry ties. And since your government is doing their best to kick international graduates out, I don't see how my lack of money or waste of time will ever be a burden on you.

Now, if anyone has any positive things to say about these places like I originally asked, that would still be very much appreciated.

I went to university in Southampton (the University, not Solent) and had a pretty good time there. I made my decision to go there based on sailing though, so I'm a little biased! Plenty of people knock Southampton and in all honesty it's not one of the best cities in England, but I had friends at Solent who really enjoyed their time there. I don't know that their degrees helped their careers at all, but they're all doing fairly well. Winchester is a very pretty city but it's small and I don't know how much there is going on there. Obviously London has a massive amount going on! The South Bank has lots in the way of arts and entertainment in particular. I've never been to Salford so I can't comment. You said you'd used up five spaces on your application but you only mentioned four?

If it's any consolation, if you can buy pounds now you'll get a very good rate. I'm currently studying in the US and the drop in the exchange rate in the last 18 months has cost me thousands :frown:
Reply 14
I can't say anything good about London South Bank but the location is good.
If you can teach acting and you can teach painting, you can teach parts of comedy. Not only are there stage skills that can be taught, there is a business side to it. And frankly I didn't ask for your opinion on my degree choice. Seeing as how I don't take up UK student places, I pay extra fees that benefit the whole university, I have to pay normal student living costs, and my part time job will be taxed just the same as yours but with no access to the benefits it feeds in to...yeah, net positive effect to your country. It's not about money afterward any way, it's about skill development and industry ties. And since your government is doing their best to kick international graduates out, I don't see how my lack of money or waste of time will ever be a burden on you.

Now, if anyone has any positive things to say about these places like I originally asked, that would still be very much appreciated.

Salford is right next to (and has great links with) salford media city which houses a lot of BBC departments.

For that and your other choices I'd suggest asking about links to industry/opportunities for practical experience as well as what the local comedy scene is like. Winchester is a lovely city but it doesn't have a lot going on comedy wise. Southampton is a bit better (and given Solent used to offer a straight comedy writing/performance degree I imagine the course might be close to your interests) but the number of stand up venues has dropped quite a bit. Also ask each university about opportunities to get a show/performance up to the Edinburgh fringe - this is a huge gateway for university comedy.
To be honest with you, you've applied to such bad universities that it would be a complete waste of money to even bother going for them. I hadn't even heard of half the ones you're applying to. As has already been suggested, either go for UCAS extra, or don't bother coming to the UK at all. Those universities aren't worth it tbh.
Reply 17
"Better" unis may not offer the course you want. The course is more important than the uni. Although it's worth considering most comedians don't have a specific degree in comedy.

PQ has the best advice, as always.

By the way:
"Peter Kay launches Salford University's new comedy degree"
http://gu.com/p/3bfvh

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
I don't think the league tables will really apply so much for something that is pretty much the antithesis of academia. If you were coming to study English Lit, or Maths, or Science I'd say change, but I really doubt that univesities in the top half of the table would run a comedy degree. Besides a degree in comedy won't get you a job. Experience will.

Most would be entertainers, have a day job. Are you looking to get a day job in England or the USA? If the latter, I don't think it really matters very much; you would be the person who went to college in England.

If you are looking to get a day job in England, most would be entertainers (other than actors) in England do degrees like English and history and not performing arts and get their day jobs on the back of their academic qualifications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending