Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Don't think a LDR is a good idea but don't want to let go Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, would love to get some help on my current situation.

I met a girl at a sports tournament last year. I found her cute and we messaged over facebook for months before eventually seeing her again at another tournament which was the first time we hooked up. In the weeks after that, I was infatuated with her and seriously considered the prospect of a long-distance relationship (She lives in Vienna, Austria and I live in Southampton, England) however I decided it was a bad idea as we would barely see each other and we discussed it over skype and she seemed to fully understand where I was coming from. However, I didn't rule out a relationship with her in the future should the distance issue be lessened/disappear (ie. we end up living in the same place/country coincidentally). Since then, we continued messaging each other and last month she came over to visit me for a few days (prior to another tournament). We had a really good time together and it felt very much like a relationship however I don't know where to go from here. I'm starting to consider going out and dating other girls where I live who I could more realistically have a proper relationship with however I feel kind of guilty about doing so as I care a lot about this girl and vice versa and the only real reason we're not currently dating is because of the distance between us and how infrequently we see each other in person. I don't think it would work out between us long distance but at the same time I don't know whether I should just move on completely. Do you reckon this is something we should talk about next time we skype? Should I be seeing over people? Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Flip a coin.

ReputationRep:
    If you have the patience then go for it. It tests you and your relationship. My fiance and I broke off ours a while ago because it required too much effort and energy. We're still friends and if when he comes back to the country I'm not with anyone then we have the option of getting back together, but for the moment we realised after a little over a year it just became too much. My main bit of advice is only go into it if you want the relationship to be long term and if it'll stop being an LDR and start being a normal relationship soon. This is the worst thing you can do to your relationship if it's long term.

(Original post by Vixen47)
    If you have the patience then go for it. It tests you and your relationship. My fiance and I broke off ours a while ago because it required too much effort and energy. We're still friends and if when he comes back to the country I'm not with anyone then we have the option of getting back together, but for the moment we realised after a little over a year it just became too much. My main bit of advice is only go into it if you want the relationship to be long term and if it'll stop being an LDR and start being a normal relationship soon. This is the worst thing you can do to your relationship if it's long term.
    lol no surprise, you both were nutters anyway. what happens to the ten kids your clapped bae was begging for?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.