Turn on thread page Beta

Studying degree to Mental Health nursing straight after finishing my degree. watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read this - to start of with I'm not asking for answers but more a discussion so no pressure to solve my problems.

I'm currently in my second year of a Music Business Degree at BIMM Brighton and I'm really not enjoying it, I've found I'm quite academic and can do well at most subjects (bar math) and enjoy getting good grades sometimes more than the actual subject. The subject and degree content really disinterests me and truthfully I can't see myself being in the industry and being happy. I don't feel it's fulfilling enough for me personally. For a very long time I've wanted to become a support worker/mental health nurse but ruled it off as at the time I was heavily involved in music and was encouraged by parents/school I studied a BTEC Level 3 in music rather than health/social sciences which I regret now. I can apply for student finance after my degree for nursing as it's NHS and I feel it's a waste not to finish this degree as it something to fall back on if **** hits the fan.

I have a gut feeling when I leave all I want to do is study as a nurse I would have to study for 4 years inc/ access to HE 1 year foundation degree. I started my degree at 18 and will be 21 when I graduate - another fear of mine. I rent a flat with my boyfriend so going home to figure stuff out is not for me. I am going to gain experience in a nursing home and volunteering in a medical/occupational setting and possibly a NHS hospital prior to committing. Should I just go with my gut? - If I'm just working for a year or two I feel I'll be go mad. I understand how hard mental health nursing is I've looked up a lot on the internet and talked to a friend who is studying the same degree at the same Uni I'd like to go to.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Every little helps.

Love. xxx
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You may as well finish your degree whatever you do next. But I'm not sure that rushing into a nursing degree straight after graduating is such a good idea. You need experience; can you get that whilst studying your current degree? I'll copy in Salchow, she might be able to give you more specific advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    You may as well finish your degree whatever you do next. But I'm not sure that rushing into a nursing degree straight after graduating is such a good idea. You need experience; can you get that whilst studying your current degree? I'll copy in Salchow, she might be able to give you more specific advice.
    Thanks for replying. I totally agree I'm going to finish my current degree it's a waste otherwise, regarding experiance - as I've said I'm getting a fair bit of experience prior and the foundation degree will be one year and only part time w/placements if I decide to jump into this it's not like committing to a whole three year degree from the get go.

ReputationRep:
    I'm coming to the end of an English degree, and am also thinking about applying for mh nursing in September after working in a school for a year and volunteering with service users.
    It does feel a bit frustrating that I've spent three years doing a degree I will probably never use, but I enjoyed it, and I certainly wasn't ready to be a nurse three years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChancedTravels)
    I'm coming to the end of an English degree, and am also thinking about applying for mh nursing in September after working in a school for a year and volunteering with service users.
    It does feel a bit frustrating that I've spent three years doing a degree I will probably never use, but I enjoyed it, and I certainly wasn't ready to be a nurse three years ago.
    Totally in the same boat as you, hope you find a way! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meadowhead)
    Totally in the same boat as you, hope you find a way! x
    I think just volunteer your butt off with local mh charities and hospital if possible, make sure your unis don't require science a level and have a punt!! We will make it!! :P Where would you want to apply to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChancedTravels)
    I think just volunteer your butt off with local mh charities and hospital if possible, make sure your unis don't require science a level and have a punt!! We will make it!! :P Where would you want to apply to?
    I'm going to apply for Brighton University they have a foundation degree in health and social work for a year and then a MH Nursing degree which can get you on the course, no science a level needed!

x

ReputationRep:
    I would say that you have got the right idea in gaining experience in MH and care before applying to do NH nursing as it's quite a different degree, so you will get a taste of whether it's for you or not. I wish you the best of lucK!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ButterflyRN)
    I would say that you have got the right idea in gaining experience in MH and care before applying to do NH nursing as it's quite a different degree, so you will get a taste of whether it's for you or not. I wish you the best of lucK!!!!
    Thanks hun!

ReputationRep:
    If you finish your degree then you wouldn't need to do a 1 year foundation course...
    You could apply for a Masters degree in Nursing and depending on your uni's requirements then you wouldn't necessarily need relevant experience either - although more experience is always a good thing.
    When I applied for the Nursing (MA) course that I'm currently on they weren't particularly interested in my A levels either - I don't have any science A levels. And I know there are several people on my course with no experience in health care and many with previous degrees such as music, business and theology etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2016
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.