Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What's the course like? I visited the department over a year ago and really liked it but I can't remember the finer details. I'm pretty certain Bristol is where I want to be, but I need to confirm this. What kind of future am I looking at with a Biochemistry degree from Bristol? Right now I'm thinking postgrad in Medicine or Biochem. Maybe even a law conversion course if I don't want to continue in the sciences. Will I be able to do these things with a Biochem degree from Bristol? Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    You can do any of those things you've listed. Bristol is a semi-target university too so you will be able to break into finance (investment banking)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    Bristol is a semi-target university too so you will be able to break into finance (investment banking)!
    A what now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    A what now?
    Target:
    Oxbridge
    LSE
    Imperial
    UCL
    Warwick

Semi target:
    Bristol
    Bath
    Nottingham
    Durham
    etc.

Target referring to how heavily people are recruited from these institutions by banks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    x
    Ah, I see. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mechanism)
    What's the course like? I visited the department over a year ago and really liked it but I can't remember the finer details. I'm pretty certain Bristol is where I want to be, but I need to confirm this. What kind of future am I looking at with a Biochemistry degree from Bristol? Right now I'm thinking postgrad in Medicine or Biochem. Maybe even a law conversion course if I don't want to continue in the sciences. Will I be able to do these things with a Biochem degree from Bristol? Thanks in advance
    In case you weren't aware - don't hedge your bets on GEM if that's what you're looking at, as its future is very uncertain. Bristol is stopping its GEM course, as have Leicester and a few others in recent years. Unless you have the huge amount of money needed to self-fund the 5-year course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spleenharvester)
    In case you weren't aware - don't hedge your bets on GEM if that's what you're looking at, as its future is very uncertain. Bristol is stopping its GEM course, as have Leicester and a few others in recent years. Unless you have the huge amount of money needed to self-fund the 5-year course.
    Wait, explain, why is it being stopped?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mechanism)
    Wait, explain, why is it being stopped?
    Factors including funding and the new registration law being debated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.