Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, do any of you take (or had taken) English Literature for GCSE with the board AQA (iGCSE). Section A is a 35 mark unseen poetry exam and Section B is a 40 mark question on a set text. We are advised to spend 45 minutes on each section.
    The text that we use at school is 'the curious incident of the dog in the night time'. In school we have been practising this exam a lot, but I can't get beyond a band 5. Although the highest mark I got in poetry was border-line Band 6, but that was only once. My teacher said that two band 5's will get me an A. But I want an A* for my exam and I don't know the essential criteria to get into band 6 on either section. If any of you could help or give me advice, then it would be much appreciated.

Also is it necessary to get two band 6's if I want to get an A* overall?

ReputationRep:
    I have done my PPE and achieved an A grade, with two Band 4's. I got 23/35 on my poetry section, and 26/40 on the question about the curious incident. Do any of you have any tips or advice for me to get an A* in this literature exam, as I feel I don't have the correct approach to the paper.

ReputationRep:
    I think English is one of the most difficult subjects to revise for. I just put whatever is on my mind and I usually get A*'s (wish it was like that for all subjects 😂). The structure you should use for comparing the two poems should be:
    1) 1 introduction paragraph about the theme and the two poems you are comparing
    2) 1 paragraph on each poem about language used (try and name a specific language tool, and then explain why the poets used them. I.e, in the poem "poems name" the speaker uses the possessive pronoun "my", this is to demonstrate how he feels he can control the girl..... Ect then compare it saying: in "other poem" he also uses the possessive pronoun my, but the authors uses this instead to show his pride and admiration.... Ect)
    3) 1 paragraph on each poem about the structure. (If it's in verses why? If it's in lines of two? Or if it is one big stanza? What effect does it create? Are the structures of the poems similar? Or different? Why?
    4) 1 paragraph on each poem about the imagery used. A particular line or just general imagery and how it effects the reader. How both poets create different feelings in different ways?

For the write up about the unseen poem use the same stucture but obviously not the comparison. Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What kind of things have you been told to include when writing? We're doing the exact same (curious incident) but have been told we're doing it all wrong! My target is A* but at the minute I'm getting As but have no idea how to improve!
    In the mock I managed to scrape an A getting 25 on poetry and 20 curious incident (45 overall)
    Also doesn't help someone got given 60 marks then our teacher decided to remark it and gave them 27 instead so we don't know if she's too harsh or the other was too lenient!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for that essay, but basically do you have any tips?😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 5, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.